Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

arp maincap torque and oilpump question

Search this Thread

Old 23-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Papillon
?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arp maincap torque and oilpump question

What should the torque setting be for the crankshaft maincaps using arp stud/nuts? Also, has anyone needed to alignhone/bore after fitting these? According to the manual the "holes" that carries the bearings can turn oval due to higher clamping force but ive never heard anyone mension this before.

On a 2wd oilpump-lid there is a hole that leads to the piston jets, is this supposed to be airtight or leak a little when blowing in it? I suppose there is a spring that shuts the jets on idle? Reason is i have two lids, one leaks a bit and the other doesnt and i need to use one of them.
Old 24-02-2011, 07:54 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never known the holes going oval on a yb block, it's most likely a generic/general warning rather than applying to the yb, if it doesn't state a torque I'd just use the std ford torque, I never bothered with arp mains myself, or I'd be able to tell you.
The oil pump cover supplies oil whenever the rotor inside is in the correct position relative to the cut out machine din the lid that leads to the oil cooling jets/bar for the pistons, there should be no leak between this output hole and the machined area in side/on the underside of the cover, I do seem to remember a small pin hole, and possibly a blanking plug on the opposite end/side of the cover, this should not leak at all if so.
Got a picture ?
tabetha
Old 24-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Papillon
?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i remember right it said 120lb/ft, 160nm, it just sounds much?

i blew air in the hole where the arrow points, i know its the wrong direction for the oil to go but it was just for comparison. one of my lids where airtight and the other leaked a little from the other hole the arrow points out of. i figured there should be a spring/plug where i marked that shuts off oilflow to the jets on idle to maintain oilpressure for the rest of the engine. if so it should stay shut at low pressures as in my test and open at about maybe 2bar. im i totally wrong here in my thinking?
Old 24-02-2011, 03:30 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Certainly does as you say have a relief valve looking at it.
tabetha