Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

electric window problem on sapphire

Search this Thread

Old 17-02-2011, 01:02 PM
d.kenny
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric window problem on sapphire

can anyone help???

its the front drivers side window

on my meter its showing 12v to the blue and green wires + and - for up and down obviously

but if i put a test light on then nothing shows up?

is there another fuse box other than the one on the drivers side scuttle pannel in the engine bay??

its doing my head in

the window would not operate so took motor out and tried freeing it all up and it was operating off the switch fine but then i think i must of shorted something out and i cannot get it to operate now...

all the other windows work fine...its doing my head in!!!
Old 17-02-2011, 01:14 PM
d.kenny
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont have a manual either so cant check the fuses either??? i have pulled the kick panel off and there has been a bit bodge on the wireing there but i dont want to remove anything as it could be for the immobiliser or something
Old 17-02-2011, 03:49 PM
davidglanza

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d.kenny
can anyone help???

its the front drivers side window

on my meter its showing 12v to the blue and green wires + and - for up and down obviously

but if i put a test light on then nothing shows up?

is there another fuse box other than the one on the drivers side scuttle pannel in the engine bay??

its doing my head in

the window would not operate so took motor out and tried freeing it all up and it was operating off the switch fine but then i think i must of shorted something out and i cannot get it to operate now...

all the other windows work fine...its doing my head in!!!
i have same problem......
Old 17-02-2011, 03:53 PM
bruny
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same thing mate,changed the window switches,greased the runners up and hey presto,works like new now
Old 17-02-2011, 04:25 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Try the switch first then remove the motor to see if it's spinning and then grease the runners front and rear and then make sure there isn't a bit of rubber stuck inside where the lock sits as it can come loose there
Old 17-02-2011, 07:24 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ascertain the motor itself is good first, by direct supply.
Classic common mistake of relying on what you're seeing!!
Due to the digi meter not really needing any(amount) of current(amps) to operate it can show full voltage, but the test light needs a little bit of current, not a lot but a bit, and more than a dodgy connection can give in this case.
It is likely just the switches, CONTACT points needs fixing, as the switch current, quite a bit in the case of windows every time they switch just before and just after the contact is made there is an arc of electricity that overtime dulls the contact, the reason they are silver plated normally.
Best thing to do is get some old knackered wet and dry of at least 1000 grit, so nice ans smooth and gently clean the contact points in the switch.
After this apply de-oxit, this will stop any further issues/problems, its awsome stuff, applied to the contact faces on the door switches it makes them work all the time for ever, as it stops corrosion, you only need one single drop, just leave on don't wipe off, it does the rest.
This kind of thing has had me scratching my head as well, that's why I now have a bald spot ha ha!!
tabetha