Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

cossie's a bit poorly

Search this Thread

Old 28-01-2011, 05:46 PM
5tox
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cossie's a bit poorly

the last few times ive started the car up it seemed to rev itself up every now and then until it was properly warmed up then it would be fine ...

So today i took out the Idle control valve and sprayed it with wd40 incase it was 'sticking'
Took the car for a 20 mile drive to dust off the cobwebs and again it revved itself up occasionally, the first 10 mins of driving the car were very rough.
Under normal driving the car would stutter as if it was running out of fuel but if you dropped it down a gear and thrashed it then it was fine

After 10 mins it seemed to pull itself together so finished the rest of the journey without any problems

I thought it was the ICV but now im stuck, any ideas?
Old 28-01-2011, 07:29 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The raising of the revs shows the iscv to be working, as that is all it can do, ie admit extra air.
I would if not already done so recently change fuel filter, then check the co when hot and set the base idle speed, could just be a bit on the lean side, and with the cold weather this will affect it more when cold.
tabetha
Old 28-01-2011, 07:47 PM
JoeRS22
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by tabetha
The raising of the revs shows the iscv to be working, as that is all it can do, ie admit extra air.
I would if not already done so recently change fuel filter, then check the co when hot and set the base idle speed, could just be a bit on the lean side, and with the cold weather this will affect it more when cold.
tabetha
sound advice tab
Old 29-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Fezman1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had this problem last year about this time...tried everything. It turned out to be abit of moisture/condensation down in the sparkplug holes. Pulled out the leads, spray of WD40, blast with the airline down in, dryed the ends of the leads and away she went. no fast idle. might be worth a try with the way the weather has been of late
Old 29-01-2011, 08:47 AM
scotty4130
PassionFord Regular

Maybe worth changing the coolant temperature sensor?