Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

2wd saff stereo wires

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 01:12 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2wd saff stereo wires

Does anyone know what colour wires go where , its the first time i,ve looked in nye on 6 yrs, about time i should fit a stereo or at least try lol . If i,m unsure then i wont bother but i did one years back and that was ok ,

I have a
thick brown wire
thick yellow
thin red
thin brown
thin grey/white
red/white
I also have 8 wires for speakers and possibly an old speaker module thingy which i dont have

any help is much appreciated

thanks
Mike
Old 03-01-2011, 01:38 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes the thin brown is an earth, the yellow is ignition live and red is permanent live unlike most cars which are the opposite.

That thick brown wire has a separate plug on the end which is to do with the lighting which I think will be the thin grey/white and red white you refer to, as with the lights on it receives a +12V feed (Not the brown wire) brown is always an earth on this era of Ford.

Martin
Old 03-01-2011, 02:22 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

on the power side of things you'll have:
2 brown earths
thin red permanent live
yellow switched ignition live
grey one for the lights one
and another one (possibly blue depending on it's age) for the remote output

the speakers will be a plug of 8 but depending on how old the car is you will have them ending in them little odd shaped plugs that go into either the amp below the stereo via a 5 pin din lead or to the joystick balance/fader controls

you really will need to junk all this and wire from new if this is the case
Old 03-01-2011, 03:00 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Don't the sapphys have 2 speakers in the dash also as well as the doors and rear shelf, meaning 6 in total ?, or am I getting mixed up with other sierras ?
If you fit a normal stereo that is not capable of powering, a unbalanced load speaker wise it could damage it, so best bet as I did was disect the wires at the join of the fronts, and use only the door speakers at the front and the rear shelf speakers.
The other wires are as said, if you buy your stereo just pop over soon have it fitted for you foc of course, could do your other power run at same time ?
tabetha
Old 03-01-2011, 04:11 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Thanks Marty , wired up as you say i now have music in the car for the 1st time since i,ve owned it lol
Happy days , cheers

Mike

Edit , i left it on this page , never saw the other comments , all i have is 4 speakers (89)
All ive done is ignition live, permanent live and put both thin and thick earths together and hey presto it works , all lit up too .

Tabs cheers for the offer and yep i,ll be back up once i,ve had the cams checked for timing plus the pump

Mike

Last edited by opposite lock; 03-01-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:21 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
Don't the sapphys have 2 speakers in the dash also as well as the doors and rear shelf, meaning 6 in total ?, or am I getting mixed up with other sierras ?
If you fit a normal stereo that is not capable of powering, a unbalanced load speaker wise it could damage it, so best bet as I did was disect the wires at the join of the fronts, and use only the door speakers at the front and the rear shelf speakers.
The other wires are as said, if you buy your stereo just pop over soon have it fitted for you foc of course, could do your other power run at same time ?
tabetha
No problem, you are correct but post 89 models had them removed.

Martin
Old 03-01-2011, 05:27 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

facelifted cars from 90 spec onwards lost the speaker option in the under dash area, replaced with bigger glovebox on the passenger side and a smaller one on the drivers side

but there were only ever 4 outputs from the head unit