Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Sapph steering column flexible rubber joint?

Search this Thread

Old 18-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Sapph steering column flexible rubber joint?

I need a new one for my 2wd sapph, seeing as they're unavailable from ford now, is there an aftermarket one that will fit?

Someone has told me that there's a volvo one that will fit but they were unsure of what model it was from, does anyone have any more info please?

Cheers, Karl
Old 18-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Check out this thread:
https://passionford.com/forum/ford-s...-pics-now.html

I've just made my own out of alloy.
Rich
Old 18-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers Rich, just read the thread, i fitted one of those cr bushes to mine and the same thing happened, thought it was me who had done something wrong, scary!!!

Cheers, Karl
Old 19-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Rollin Rides
Anyting forsale let me no

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After doing my one i used a E46 m3 one but i noticed working on my brothers o5 plate transit there the same hope this helps!.
Old 19-09-2010, 12:26 AM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks mate, i tried a Transit one but they are just slightly bigger, i cant believe none of the usual companies do a (decent) direct replacement
Old 19-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

This is the one I got made, I can get more made if anyone is interested.
Sorry about the shit photo's it's off my iPhone

Name:  AlloyBushTop.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  57.4 KB
Name:  AlloyBushSide.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  101.4 KB
Cheers Rich

Last edited by Sonic Boom; 19-09-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 19-09-2010, 10:38 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic Boom
This is the one I got made, I can get more made if anyone is interested.
Sorry about the shit photo's it's off my iPhone

Cheers Rich
There is a reason they are NOT made of something solid, the reason is because they articulate, making one out of alloy is the most stupid idea going, if whoever did it saw what it was being used for first they should be shot and ashamed of themselves.
Another reason they need to flex is not only because it is NOT a straight line they're in the middle of but no doubt as a collapsing feature in the event of a crash so the column doesn't pierce your chest.
If it was as simple as the alloy bit I could have knocked out 10 a by now, that's about 10 pence worth of alloy there.
tabetha
Old 19-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by tabetha
There is a reason they are NOT made of something solid, the reason is because they articulate, making one out of alloy is the most stupid idea going, if whoever did it saw what it was being used for first they should be shot and ashamed of themselves.
Another reason they need to flex is not only because it is NOT a straight line they're in the middle of but no doubt as a collapsing feature in the event of a crash so the column doesn't pierce your chest.
If it was as simple as the alloy bit I could have knocked out 10 a by now, that's about 10 pence worth of alloy there.
tabetha
The 4x4 steering couplings are soild:
So that kind of null and voids your arguement!!
Name:  dave.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  15.3 KB

And to quote dan@rapid ford off the other thread which you have continued to ignore:
Originally Posted by Dan@Rapid-Ford
I can't believe Tabatha hasn't replied to this thread - He was the one recommending the product and got you lot to buy them even listing the ebay numbers and he's posted on other threads giving more advice ignoring this one.
You recommend a product that was woefully incappable of doing it's job it's sheer luck that no-one has been injured or killed fitting one of those poly bushes.

Other aftermarket bushes are available for other makes of car using alloy bushes:
http://www.frsport.com/FRS-Aluminum-...SX_p_2265.html
So it's not like it doesn't work.

The only person that should be "should be shot and ashamed of themselves" is you for peddling such a proven dangerous polybush!
Rich

Last edited by Sonic Boom; 19-09-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 19-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hi Tabetha, do you know what the situation is with refunds etc?

I bought one of the polybush ones which also ripped in half before i even made it out of the garage but thought i must have done something wrong when fitting it, now i know its the part thats faulty and not my fitting, i want my money back tbh, not interested in replacements as i couldn't trust it now tbh.

Karl
Old 19-09-2010, 12:54 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I assumed we were talking about 2wd ones not solid jointed 4wd ones.
As for dan the pf policeman, read the advice of any thread/forum the advice is given in good faith.
CR are nothing financially to do with me I just thought I was being helpful, I was wrong simple as that please accept my appologies I got it wrong.
I am not at all happy with the way the situation has been dealt with, and don't even see CR much anymore I advised them to buy a competitors product to start with and have it analysed chemically prior to putting something of this nature out there, they chose not to, they then didn't refund or recall/replace bushes that were known weak points.
They were made from poly-eurothane, they now have some made from a far better material called poly-urea, a mistake I think personally business wise the damage has been done and the response(lack of) to it sealed their fate reputation wise, but it's their call, not my concern.
I have always been of the opinion had they done this properly they could have had a good earner, but for me the most important part of any purchase is what happens when things go wrong, in this case nothing it's just not on.
I know it reflects on myself nothing I can do about it, they also didn't scream enough at the makers who were quite content to sit and wait for ever and a day to get the new material, I went out of my way at my time and expense visiting both to try to get some action going, they should have instantly informed everybody of a potential problem,(it only affects some colours it seems), and sent them a new one with an apology, that is what I suggested they were too tight to do this citing it will cost is x amount of Ł's, to which I replied so how much does getting sued for a death cost you.
It is diabolical treatment from two people I know, haven't seen them in weeks, this has genuinely pissed me off, not so much the breakages but the situation ref refunds replacements.
Although people may feel that I am responsible for the loss(financially) I don't think that is the case, I mean bad as it is no ones gone head hunting for people who recommended compbrake for compy struts some of which have fallen to bits.
I can assure everyone that I received ZERO financially or otherwise from this, I could have by acting as middle man between CR and the makers, as they didn't know each other, but chose not to, not really that fussed about money tbh, I could have made Ł5 on everyone sold I chose not to.
This isn't the news you want to hear and for that I am sorry, I would be as pissed off as you are.
tabetha
Old 19-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I can only speak for myself tabetha but I don't hold personally responsible in any way, I just wondered if you had any news as you know the people who run Cr. I don't believe for one minute that you would recommend a product that you knew wasnt up to the job, like you say, I think the damage has been done as far as Cr are concerned.
Karl
Old 19-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I personally can't see why an alloy part can't be used. As mentioned previously, the later 4x4 shafts are totally solid as obviously this is an improvement or ford would have used the same design on the later cars.

At the end of the day, the 4x4 part works in exactly the same way and performs exactly the same function.
Old 19-09-2010, 07:06 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Kitchen Devil
I personally can't see why an alloy part can't be used. As mentioned previously, the later 4x4 shafts are totally solid as obviously this is an improvement or ford would have used the same design on the later cars.

At the end of the day, the 4x4 part works in exactly the same way and performs exactly the same function.
If you look at the 4wd one the bulge has a pin through it so the "inside" is not fixed.
It's simple physics look carefully at a 2wd one which is a lot longer, and the bush can be seen to deform this way and that as it rotates it twists , if this were solid the twist forces would be imparted elsewhere ie at the joints on the ends, if thinking of using one of the alloy pieces you might as well just cut the ends off and weld a solid piece of metal to join them be even cheaper then and a lot have welders etc.
tabetha