Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

newbie buying adv

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:38 PM
mje_wrx
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie buying adv

Hi, im a newbie on here, currently on scoobynet owning a wrx running 320 / 320.

Had few issues and realy want a change. so ive decieded i want a cosworth. i really like the sierra rs cosworth 1987 box light etc and sapphires do take my fancy as a cheaper option.

What adv would you owners give in looking for one. not worried if its standard or modified. How would you describe the power compared to other cars, especially scoobs. as mines pretty quick and would like to be on parr or quicker eventually.

How reliable are they. what are main issues and costs etc.

All help much appreciated

matt
Old 08-09-2010, 09:23 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are very different cars, if thinking cossie rust is the main bug bear, as well as the age of the car and how it's been looked after, usual rust areas such as rear arches, sills, front floor pan, rust between front turret and inner wing.
You will find it very different to the scoob, a good car in it's own right the scoob, but doesn't give the exciting feeling(to me anyway) seems just another nicely sorted jap car when driving, cossie is a lot more rewarding, esp when in tuned 2wd mode, as you need to drive them in the wet or dry if going silly, take a lot more input.
2wd can be run so much cheaper though, and trans take more power.
The std sierra suspension at the rear is abysmal but a new poly diff mount and 22mm arb soon sorts it out mostly.
I would suggest driving or at least getting a ride in one before swapping, in both 2wd and 4wd, ideally it would be(for me) 2wd in the dry 4wd in the wet, avoids the brown pants time, having the rear step out at 90mph in the outside lane of a(private) dual carriageway due to too much pedal makes your bum muscles have a workout!!
You defo need a drive they are so very different, scoobs to cossie and 2wd to 4wd.
tabetha
Old 08-09-2010, 10:01 AM
retro d
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember its an old car compared to you scub, I run my stage3 cosworth as a daily done over 7k very reliable now ive done the bits and bobs to it.
I had a few issues fuel pump re wire, fan rewire and done the head gasket but that was only because I wanted more power.
Dont rush and buy the first one you see.
The thing you will notice depending if you go to a 2wd is the lack of traction in the wet lol.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:02 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

As said they are completely different cars, if you want it to be the same pace as an Impreza then a standard one is NOT for you, the cars are fast even today but obviously not Impreza fast as these have more power to start with, more so with your one.

The power delivery would certainly be smoother on the Impreza, Cosworth's are quite laggy and coarse, as with any 80's turbo charged engine, the Impreza would be more refined on the whole.

You would be very lucky/hard pushed to find one standard although can be done.

The enjoyment comes from these cars because of there 'Unhampered power' there is simply nothing else in this class that gives you as much driving pleasure without being hampered by airbags and other electronic rubbish, there not badly equipped either even by today's standards!

Main things to look for are mechanical problems otherwise be prepared to get friendly with your bank manager! Just as important is rust, check the wheel arches, floor pans etc, don't overlook the latter is the car is mechanically sound as if only slight body work issues this can be cheaper to sort out than a car with the former.

They are very reliable and DIY friendly, you want to see proof of who has worked on the car as there are alot bodged out there by people who coulden't afford to run them or ill informed meddlers, this is the only thing that makes any car unreliable, apart from that there strong cars overall.

The fan wiring was a weak point even when new so ideally you want to see a rewire the same applies to the fuel pump where the wiring has degraded over the years which leads to less than desired power at the pump and hence less fuel pressure.

Martin

Last edited by martysmartie; 08-09-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Rollin Rides
Anyting forsale let me no

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my saph 2wd for coming on 5 years now, brought it completely std, i drove it daily for the first 10month then took it off the rd for the winter.
Then i desided i wanted more power and a friend had written his concourse car off so i brought most of the tunng bits and engine cheap and fitted them with the help of friends.
Now my car runs a healthy 310-340 bhp low comp with t35 and i have been driving it for the last year with no majour issues.
I have replace the every day things like beam bushes, steering bush, tyres but apart from that happy days.
These cars will run trouble free if you by a good one in the first place and not one the has been in pieces a hundred times.
I dont think i will ever sell her shes puts a smile on my face everytime it peaks 30psi,
i have driven 450 bhp skylines new m3's owned scoobys and played in audi rs4s and nothing performs like the ford its just perfect 3rd & 4th gear wheel spins at 100mph that what its about..... My saph and i love her!!!!!!

Last edited by Rollin Rides; 08-09-2010 at 01:47 PM.