Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

How to - Spot 'Gen' RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 06:53 PM
MSportMatt
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up How to - Spot 'Gen' RS

Hi All,

I joined some time ago - and have been an avid 'watcher' for a while. Now bitten the bullet and decided to find a good 3dr Cosworth as a toy.

Now then - I have used the search function and looked high and low, but wondered if anyone has put together a Buyers Guide - specific to the RS Cosworth models - in particular the 3dr. I have a fairly good knowledge mechanically wise and know a fair bit about buying and selling vehicles. However (The whole point of my request) - could do with some help/ pointers in how to make sure the 3dr's that I view are original and 'genuine' cars. I understand that some cars may be reshelled etc - but what differences could there be?

Any help appreciated.

Matt
Old 05-03-2010, 06:56 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

check the chassis number tallys up with the logbook as it will say rs cosworth on the logbook! also the first 5 or 6 letters in the chassis number will show whether its a genuine shell im sure someone will post these up for you as i cant be arsed digging out my logbook lol!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:11 PM
fatmike
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good questions matt. I think there are a few important things to do which everyone should do. Firstly H.P.I Check it. Search online for a hpi company, and even if you have to shell out a couple of quid, at least you get a good idea of what the car is about before you even view it. Checking out the VIN match up is the important one.

Car history is another important one to me. Time and time again you see cars up for sale with no or little history and it makes you wonder really. I know alot of people are just plain lazy/careless but to me the history is just as important as anything else. If the car really is as genuine and as well looked after as the guy selling it claims, there should be a nice folder full of receipts/bills/mots etc.

As with anything performance related, 9/10 it is going to have been driven hard so its good to check out the engine condition, and ask if its been rebuilt at any point (history should have receipts to back up).

At the end of the day it is a ford aswell so you're gonna have to get on your back and have a look under the car for.... yeh , rust! Chassis rails, sills and just general underneath inspection.

To be honest though mate you should be able to tell alot about the car just from looking at it. If the paints good, panels are straight, and it looks like it hasn't had any cowboy repairs (dodgey wiring and cable ties holding things together), you should be onto a winner. Interior is a good sign aswell.

Most simply of all, buy from a trusted place, and if your not buying off this site, just post up a thread asking if anyone knows the history on the car your interested in. With the amount of members this site has got, it is going to be very likely that someone knows something about the car, and it may just save you buying a shitter!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Steve the Plumber
The original Rouge Trader

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Mattster!

Get yourself over to the RS Ownersclub Forum, the Sierra bit.

Should find all the info you need to know!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Turbosimpsons
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pay someone to look over it for you. worth the money.