Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Clicking rear shaft

Search this Thread

Old 25-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clicking rear shaft

On my 2wd cossie do you reckon its fucked and get a new shaft? or maybe just put some new grease in?anybody else had this problem if so how did you sort yours

cheers al
Old 25-05-2009, 02:49 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

it'll be the cv joint, but you've got to make sure if it's the inner or outer one (outer is more likely)

make sure you get a new boot kit with it as well but before you do, open the boot up, don't tear it unles it's alraedy torn open, and splodge a bit of grease into it

if the grease inside is horrible bogey green then it's mixed with water and you may need to clean it out by dismantling the joint first, remember that there are 2 circlips to hold in position and if you open it up too far they tend to distort a little and need to be tapped back into place upon reassembly

make sure you can rotate the wheel as you undo tham as when you undo them, remove the boot first and undo the one at the bottom as this will be the easiest to undo

make sure the handbrake is on to stop the wheel from turning and they should be T45 bolts

just remember that they are specific for the 2wd cars as they are bigger and the balls inside sit in the cage one way only, so if you can clean it up wihtout popping the balls out then all the better

wipe the rud off and then leave it in a bowl of petrol to break up the crap, then put loads of grease all over the place inside it, fit it to the shaft, fit the whole thing to the car, then pump in a load more grease just to make sure

then put your boot on as the last thing as the boot actually gets in the way of the bolts you have ot tighten up

hth
Old 25-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Ive just got back in from repacking it,i slipped the boot off and there was no grease what so ever inside dry as fuck,so rammed a load of grease in but boot back on,just been for a longish drive and i cant hear it clicking yet,so fingers crossed that might have done it
Cheers for the reply dojj
Old 25-05-2009, 08:11 PM
dojj

no worries mate

hopefully you'll have fixed it as it's a bit messy to change them, thogh not difficult
Old 25-05-2009, 10:18 PM
DAN400
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RETRO_AL
Ive just got back in from repacking it,i slipped the boot off and there was no grease what so ever inside dry as fuck,so rammed a load of grease in but boot back on,just been for a longish drive and i cant hear it clicking yet,so fingers crossed that might have done it
Cheers for the reply dojj
did the same with my own car,packed it full of grease, did the job for a couple of week then started clickin again,did my fuckin head in , really loud at times too, ended up buyin a new one from ggr,think it was Ł70 or that,that was last 2 years ago , now the other side is doin the same
Old 26-05-2009, 08:27 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

If it's been run dry, the damage is already there, so won't last long, personally for a few quid I would just change it.
tabetha
Old 26-05-2009, 05:42 PM
AndyPen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
If it's been run dry, the damage is already there, so won't last long, personally for a few quid I would just change it.
tabetha
Me too or grab a spare set from one being broken on here.

Trending Topics

Old 27-05-2009, 01:26 PM
dojj

it'll be ok as long as it hasn't worn through the hardern'd surface of the ball bearings

if you get away with a regrease and job done then it's easy, but if you want to strip it down to inspect it, the balls will have a bit of a shine on them a different colour to the rest of the surface, this is what will be causing the clicking as it's now not properly round and it's catching on he worn part of the surface of the ball