Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

No power to ECU on pin 20 on K Reg 4x4 saph

Search this Thread

Old 19-05-2009, 06:21 PM
GLSMAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power to ECU on pin 20 on K Reg 4x4 saph

Just after finishing an engine re-build and when we went to start the car up there was no spark. We can hear the fuel pump priming but there is no live to pin 20 on the ECU. The yellow relay by the ECU appears to be ok but not sure where to go from here?? whats next to test from here to continue troubleshooting - i.e. ignition relay - where is it - relay slot number? Lights all come on in the clock when the key is turned. There is an after market alarm and immobilser on the car but this has been activated and turned off and back on again and looks like it's working fine so I don't think it's this but not ruling it out yet.
Old 22-05-2009, 01:29 PM
GLSMAR

Going to take the lower dash out to see whats goin on. Think it's the alarm/immobilser is the problem. It's an aftermarket unit - have no idea who made it - the immobilser part has 2 parts to it - one is a type of card key with what looks like copper lines on it and it fits into a slot. Then there's some form of timed ignition cut-off where you press a small circuler receiver with this round metalic saucer shaped key and the light goes off for 10 secs or so which obviously lets the car start.
Old 22-05-2009, 03:07 PM
velocity
PassionFord Regular

them imobilizers are a disaster so i would sugest to rip it out completly.
anyway as a quick check. power to pin 20 is supplied with 12v by the fuel injection relay (m11) this relay also activates the fuel pump relay (m10) so if the pump is priming then the fuel injection relay is working. this relay also supplies 12v direct to the fuel injectors so see if you have 12v at them..anyway pull out the alarm system and see how you get on

the m11 and m10 relays are located under the dash in the l/h passenger footwell above the tunnel in a cradle.

Last edited by velocity; 22-05-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 22-05-2009, 05:34 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unlikely to be the alarm, I would leave that alone for now.
Recheck all the engine connections, most particularly the earths, then power up pin 20 and see if all ok, if now ok, then there is a break between relay and pin 20, might just be a terminal come loose or something silly.
You can bet although a small thing it will be the hardest to find!!
tabetha
Old 24-06-2009, 11:22 AM
GLSMAR

Just to update on this issue if anyone else comes across it. Took out the Alarm - it was killing power to all Ignition wires. (Was amazed how easy it was to disable an alarm - scary). I then had power to all units. The separate immobiser is just a card break unit that was disabling the ECU but is working fine so still have some security . I now tried to start the car, but the starter wouldn't and still doesn't turn over (probably iginition switch issue). When bridging the starter, I still had no spark except for an initial one on turning the key to position 2. I have got wasted spark installed as part of the rebuild so after some tooing and froing with MSD - the problem was related to the phase sensor - which we had left disconnected after the rebuild. I though none of the distributor related sensors were required with wasted spark - so that was my mistake. Once this was connected up there was spark. Had to re-time the engine again though, but she started up fine. Just to finish tidying up a few bits and pieces now.
Old 24-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Good man.