Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

2WD (PF01) throttle position sensor set up help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:59 PM
TommyT913

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2WD (PF01) throttle position sensor set up help needed.

I've been trying for months to find out how to set up my TPS sensor to no avail. I've read on bigturbo.com that the PF01 sensor has a switch built into it that creates an open circuit to show the ECU that the throttle is closed. My problem is that I've been unable to find out what to set the initial voltage at. I understand that the sensor should be set to change voltage the instant the throttle plate begins to open. Is there a base voltage to set them at? Right now I have mine set at the highest voltage which is 4.98 and it begins to go down as soon as the throttle plate moves. At this setting, I get a dead spot when the car is cold. I've also read that the closed throttle switch voltage goes from ~4.75v to ~4.4v. If this is true, should the TPS be set to 4.75 initially?

I'm located in the US so diagnostic resources are non existent for the Cosworth so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attached is a pic of the car in question.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Tommy
Old 02-05-2009, 06:56 AM
ybturbo
PassionFord Regular

You can adjust it with a simple multimeter. take out the TPS plug and measure the resistance to terminals 17 - 30.For idle position you should get infinitive resistance (switch open). The moment you start rotating the throtlle the resistance will jump from infinitive to zero and as throtlle moves it rises up until maximun resistance on full throtlle. If you take out the throtlle body is much easier to adjust it accurately.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:13 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As it's 2wd and L1, it is 99.99% without a stop position, sure the L6 hasn't got one either, you can use a 4wd tps though, this has one, but your ecu can't make use of this feature anyway.
If you are trying to cure a flat spot, it could well be due to age/use that you have a dead spot on the carbon track inside the tps.
All is not lost however, this normally occurs just above idle/slow speed on tps, where it spends more of it's time.
An old trick used to be rub a hard lead pencil on the track as this laid down lead it helped renew the worn part, but is only a temp measure.
A better solution would be a new tps, another alternative is take yours apart, carefully, you will see there is a stop screw, this is so that it reads a minimum value, it is a small 3mm allen bolt/screw, adjust this until past the worn part and go from there, not ideal but better than a flat spot.
You may be able to get it better though just by tweaking within the slots adjustment, so try that first.
When I did mine on my L6 I just did it to the settings/voltages listed, drove ok no flat spots.
I have some nice piccies of the internals if you want me to email them to you.
tabetha
Old 02-05-2009, 10:24 AM
ybturbo
PassionFord Regular

The PF01 has switch inside for idle, the PF09 has not so you must adjust it to read infinitive position between contacts 17-30 on idle and as soon you move the throttle the resistance should go to zero and then rising as throtlle is opened until max resistance is at max throtlle. If you do that and the car doesn't running well or have flat spots then the TPS is defective.

Last edited by ybturbo; 02-05-2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: wrong writting
Old 02-05-2009, 10:54 AM
scoobypete
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stunning car btw
The following users liked this post:
COLEYST200 (07-10-2020)