Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Fire Extinguisher for a 2wd sapphire cosworth.

Search this Thread

Old 22-03-2009, 11:53 PM
maxturbo
PassionFord Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fire Extinguisher for a 2wd sapphire cosworth.

I have a standard 2wd sapphire cosworth with a standard engine. I only use this car for week end road use only. I was going to purchase a Draper 2kg Dry Powder Fire Extinguisher for this car. This one to be used on Class A,B & C fires ratings 13A/89B. Can anybody explain these readings? How often should these be checked? There are a lot of different brands on the market. Is this brand a good choice? What does other people use in their cars? I know a plumbed in one would be ideal but I am not going this route. Wheres the best place to store these in the car. ie in the boot or inside. This bottle is large and maybe it should be fitted in the boot. Can these be fitted bolted vertical or horizontally in the boot? Any ideas.
Old 23-03-2009, 07:15 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxturbo
I have a standard 2wd sapphire cosworth with a standard engine. I only use this car for week end road use only. I was going to purchase a Draper 2kg Dry Powder Fire Extinguisher for this car. This one to be used on Class A,B & C fires ratings 13A/89B. Can anybody explain these readings? How often should these be checked? There are a lot of different brands on the market. Is this brand a good choice? What does other people use in their cars? I know a plumbed in one would be ideal but I am not going this route. Wheres the best place to store these in the car. ie in the boot or inside. This bottle is large and maybe it should be fitted in the boot. Can these be fitted bolted vertical or horizontally in the boot? Any ideas.
Class A B C are different combustable materials that's all, suitable for a car in this case, as some can't be used on electric fires for example, eg you don't want a water extinguisher squirting on a 10,000 volt fire!!
As for whether it is any good or not, does it have a pressure gauge on it, is it stored pressure.
There are two basic types stored pressure where the pressure is put in, and released when you use it, the other type have a small capsule that is broken to release the pressure you need when you use it.
Stored pressure ones normally come with a pressure gauge, but the other sort don't.
Th best for a car these days is AFFF, Aqueous Film Forming Foam, as this smothers the fire with foam, the best without a shadow of doubt is BCF, Bromochlorodifleuromethane, but is illegal to use now, apart from military use(bad for environmemnt)
The best place is most likely by the side of the seat, but every few months take out and shake for ten minutes if it is dry powder, doesn't matter if upright or layed down.
They do have a service life, but the trouble with some stored pressure ones without gauge is you have no way after a few years of knowing whether it still has pressure or not.
They can be emptied and recharged, but on the smaller ones just not financially viable.
tabetha
Old 23-03-2009, 08:10 AM
maxturbo
PassionFord Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all that info. This one is a Draper 2kg Dry Powder Fire Extinguisher, wall mountable, Halon-free, pressure gauge and a 5 year warranty. This one is effective on petrol, oil, gas, paint, wood, solvents and electrical equipment. What is "Halon-free" ?

Maybe i should get a small Fire Extinguisher to fit beside driver seat and fit the other 2kg in the boot. Those smaller Fire Extinguishers would be useless for a fire under the bonnet i think. Has anyone used a Draper 2kg Dry Powder Fire Extinguisher? How good are these.
Old 23-03-2009, 08:23 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2KG would cope with a engine fire so long as you caught it early, I've used loads, as used to make these on contract including 500 litre stored pressure ones for military use.
Halon is just a gas, that is not very nice to breathe in!!
tabetha