Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Is a 2wd rear beam and diff etc the same as in a 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 22-11-2008, 04:02 PM
pacificzetecturbo
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a 2wd rear beam and diff etc the same as in a 4wd?

As above really as i've been offered one but needs to go in a 4wd?
Old 22-11-2008, 06:38 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is 1/2" difference in width, the 2wd are 7 1/2" wide , the 4wd are 7" wide, so the beam mountings are farther apart in 2wd than 4wd because of this.
The measurement is the top rear bolt fitting but the whole beam will go on no problem, with 2wd diff which is a bit stronger as well.
tabetha
Old 22-11-2008, 06:46 PM
STUCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

2wd diff and beam will fit in the back of a 4b,as long as fitted as a pr

cheeRS stu
Old 22-11-2008, 08:51 PM
pacificzetecturbo
PassionFord Regular

ok so basically the 2wd diff is different however if its used with the 2wd rear beam it will fit and run fine coupled to a 4wd front diff?
Old 22-11-2008, 09:51 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

yes it'll run fine as the ratios are only minutely out (0.02 IIRC-real world terms fuck all). But be careful which version of the 2wd beam it is...as the 3drs and the 2wd saph rear beam have different arms, the difference is the anti-rollbar pickups.....2wd saph is same as 4x4 pickup wise but the 3dr will require welding to arms or welding to the car to mount arb.

In short make sure its a 2wd SAPH back end NOT a 3dr one.

Other than that just put your 4x4 brakes over as theyre vented and the 2wd will be solid disk.

Dan
Old 23-11-2008, 09:14 AM
pacificzetecturbo
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by SillyFezzaMk1
yes it'll run fine as the ratios are only minutely out (0.02 IIRC-real world terms fuck all). But be careful which version of the 2wd beam it is...as the 3drs and the 2wd saph rear beam have different arms, the difference is the anti-rollbar pickups.....2wd saph is same as 4x4 pickup wise but the 3dr will require welding to arms or welding to the car to mount arb.

In short make sure its a 2wd SAPH back end NOT a 3dr one.

Other than that just put your 4x4 brakes over as theyre vented and the 2wd will be solid disk.

Dan
Thanks for that info, gratefully recieved, im gathering parts to convert my mk1 fiesta to run 4wd cosworth, is yours cosworth powered?
Old 23-11-2008, 12:28 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

Originally Posted by pacificzetecturbo
Thanks for that info, gratefully recieved, im gathering parts to convert my mk1 fiesta to run 4wd cosworth, is yours cosworth powered?
I did have a mk1 that was I was going to convert to run 4x4 cosworth but I got offered a escos at stupid price so had to have that instead of the fiesta.

What stage are you at? I have an old panique bodykit (same as my sig) I was going to use to give the extra width required.

I was quoted a great price by andrew gallagher for doing the shell but decided to do it myself in the end (even though I never got round to it).

Do you have a donor car? what bits have you got/need? Best donor car for you would be a 2.0 dohc xr4x4....you can use many parts from this inc gearbox (by swapping over to cossie clutch pin and fork. 2 min job), tcas, arbs, x-member, driveshafts, rack, rear beam, rear shafts, rear arms, rear arb, props, the chassis is same as 4x4 cosworth so for a couple of hundred quid you can have a LOT of the parts required.

You get different ratio diffs with the 2.0 but pick up a pair of 2.9 v6 xr4x4 diffs and you have everything you need for cheap The 2.9 v6 xr4x4 has similar parts list to the 2.0 that you can use but the box is different....so in fairness you could choose a 2.9 v6 and buy a box, or 2.0 and buy diffs....either way both of these cars yeild lots of useable parts that are the same as cossie ones

Get sopme pics up mate also how are you planning on doing the conversion??? I scratched my head for many hours thinking of the best way to do it.

Cheers
Dan

Last edited by SillyFezzaMk1; 23-11-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 23-11-2008, 06:52 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

the 2wd stuff is the beefed up version, diff and shafts and outputs are all bigger

the 4wd stuff is just boggo sierra/granada rear end set up but with the 7 inch diff from the xr range
Old 24-11-2008, 02:03 PM
pacificzetecturbo
PassionFord Regular

Default fiesta

Originally Posted by SillyFezzaMk1
I did have a mk1 that was I was going to convert to run 4x4 cosworth but I got offered a escos at stupid price so had to have that instead of the fiesta.

What stage are you at? I have an old panique bodykit (same as my sig) I was going to use to give the extra width required.

I was quoted a great price by andrew gallagher for doing the shell but decided to do it myself in the end (even though I never got round to it).

Do you have a donor car? what bits have you got/need? Best donor car for you would be a 2.0 dohc xr4x4....you can use many parts from this inc gearbox (by swapping over to cossie clutch pin and fork. 2 min job), tcas, arbs, x-member, driveshafts, rack, rear beam, rear shafts, rear arms, rear arb, props, the chassis is same as 4x4 cosworth so for a couple of hundred quid you can have a LOT of the parts required.

You get different ratio diffs with the 2.0 but pick up a pair of 2.9 v6 xr4x4 diffs and you have everything you need for cheap The 2.9 v6 xr4x4 has similar parts list to the 2.0 that you can use but the box is different....so in fairness you could choose a 2.9 v6 and buy a box, or 2.0 and buy diffs....either way both of these cars yeild lots of useable parts that are the same as cossie ones

Get sopme pics up mate also how are you planning on doing the conversion??? I scratched my head for many hours thinking of the best way to do it.

Cheers
Dan
Thanks for that information, as it happens i e-mailed Andrew gallagher a couple of days ago with regards to doing the conversion, i'm awaiting his reply. Out of interest what sort of figure were you quoted? the car is now stripped to a shell and im just gathering parts at the moment, its a bit painfull as the money tree is looking bleak! I'm hoping i can basicaly use the sierra rear beam and front subframe so it will be fairly easy to fit once the fabrication is done. Which route were you going to take?