Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Going to get a Cossie!

Search this Thread

Old 16-12-2007, 08:00 PM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to get a Cossie!

I have decided.....im going to get a Saph Cossie in the new year (should have enough money by March......i hope!) Always loved them since I first saw one many years ago. Im 34 next year and have decided to get my childhood dream!

Think a 4X4 might be a bit easier for me as the majority of 2wd's are all running 270+bhp, bit much for someone who is not used to rear wheel driven cars! Ive driven many fast cars, all being front wheel drive though!!

Going to do some research tonight on buying a Sapphire Cosworth tonight, any tips though, most common problems to look for?
Old 16-12-2007, 09:07 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

2wd dont handle bad fella as long as you respect them

useful link for chassis details

http://www.wrc-cosworth.org/specs/identify.html
Old 16-12-2007, 09:45 PM
big mac
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4x4 good all rounder i run one daily and have 2wd as a toy but 2wd is more fun and well set up will only misbehave if provoke or in wet cheaper 2 buy 2! Make sure you have good look round there is some shit around but good cars are out there!
Old 17-12-2007, 03:53 AM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

If in doubt financially, don't bother, else it will suck you dry
Old 17-12-2007, 04:27 AM
stevecossy
PassionFord Regular

I had to wait years to buy 1 too but its worth the wait buddy ya will not regret it if ya get a good 1. But as above they can suck ya wallet dry very easy. good luck.
Old 17-12-2007, 06:58 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Most of them have had a hard life. So be carefull when your lookin for 1. I would buy 1 that has had the head gasket done perferably a group A head gasket just for piece of mind. Also dont buy the 1st one you see. Have a good look round to.
Old 17-12-2007, 07:46 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A good point there don't just buy the first one cause you get excited, so easy to do.
Rust will be the major issue as they are getting on a bit, a two year old can look after a cossie servicing wise.
I would personally NOT get a std one, as they are a bit lame, I think stage 1 is nice around 270 or so, loads and loads more torque make it a nicer drive, and safer IMO, if you do get in a bit of trouble there is a load more torque to get out of the way, should be better on the fuel as well.
Don't pay over the odds if you do want a std one, as you may well want to mod so might as well get one with all the mods done anyway.
As for the headgasket, the std one is no good even on a std car driven gently, they age as does everything, it would be better if already done to a group a preferably with ARP stud and nut kit as well.
I always assume all the history is lies, so go on the basis that you will have to spend some money on it.
Look around the block carefully for signs of a weepy headgasket, I have used KALIMEX K-SEAL in the past as a temp measure on these but it lasted for around 3000 miles!!
If you can take someone with you who knows about cars, even better if they are familiar with cossie's, certainly for the test drive, where you need to get it hot enough so the fans come in, watch the owners face carefully to see if he starts pooping himself about a dodgy headgasket!!
tabetha

Trending Topics

Old 17-12-2007, 11:24 AM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

A lot of people have said only buy one if you can afford to buy it twice - pretty good advice really, especially if you need to use it daily
Old 17-12-2007, 03:40 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

I bought the cheapest one I could find on eBay. 10 owners. HPI listed. No history. No engine number. Owner wasn't on the V5. etc. etc. etc.

But, I promised myself a Cossie if I could give up smoking - so 3 years later and still off the Cigs - THE COSSIE HAS PAID FOR ITSELF
Old 17-12-2007, 04:20 PM
PSL
Advanced PassionFord User

Get yourself registered on the RSOC (if you're not already).

There is a full buyers guide on the site explaining what to look out for, do's and dont's etc.

Well worth a read before you go and shell out on one!!
Old 17-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboShed
If in doubt financially, don't bother, else it will suck you dry
That's crap for a start, you get a good one, have it checked, mapped fueling etc, they'll look after you allday long..
Old 17-12-2007, 07:48 PM
big mac

Agree with that regular oil and water checks and servicing my 4x4 is used every day no probs!
Old 17-12-2007, 09:39 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

I bought the cheapest one I could find on eBay. 10 owners. HPI listed. No history. No engine number. Owner wasn't on the V5. etc. etc. etc.

But, I promised myself a Cossie if I could give up smoking - so 3 years later and still off the Cigs - THE COSSIE HAS PAID FOR ITSELF
ha ha bet yours is mint

only joking
Old 17-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Jimboxr4x4

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm just the same as you - wanted a cossie for ten years before getting one at 33. I've had mine for 10 months now and its been great. When I picked mine up and drove it home it was fantastic.

I actually bought the first one I looked at but it is a nice car, only 2 previous owners and loads of receipts. Always get it properly set up as for the cost of a set-up (about £150) you will get peace of mind and the car will drive a lot better once set up properly. Once i'd got the car home I didn't drive it again for a couple of weeks so I could change all of the oils and fluids. Definately worth doing in my opinion.

Whereabouts are you? If you want someone to come and have a look with you i'm sure someone of here would oblige.

When I started looking I typed out a checklist - its by no means definitive but should give you a few ideas what to look for. Good luck.

CHECKLIST

Bodywork

• Rear arches
• Front arches
• Boot floor, especially above exhaust side. Also pull up to check inner rear panels
• Suspension tops
• Battery tray
• Any welding on underside? Chassis rails, sills etc.
• Consistant panel gaps
• Colour match. Any paint work been done?
• Around sunroof. Can bubble up around it.

Interior

• Heater working
• Cracked dash
• Headlining sagging
• Staining around sunroof (seals failing)

Engine

• White sludge on filler cap (head gasket)
• Header tank oily film on top of coolant (head gasket)
• White smoke – turbo shot. If so remove hose from turbo inlet to airbox and feel for play in turbo impellor. A little play is okay
• Blue smoke on boost means tired turbo oil seals
• Constant blue smoke means engine rebuild
• Slight misfire under acceleration is common
• Cambelt change? Should be every 48k miles
• Rev engine when stationary and look for twist in engine (mounts or driveshafts)
• Run up to temp and check fans cut in

Identity

• Check V5 numbers match slam panel and panel under carpet (check surrounding areas for signs of fresh paint or welding. Prefix should be BFGC4

Transmission

• Crunching through gears means worn synchro (except reverse)
• Listen for whining from box and diffs
• Uprated clutch?

Electrics

• Remote releases for boot and petrol filler
• Look for frayed or damaged wiring in engine bay

Paperwork

• V5 (check previous keepers)
• When does MOT expire?
• Previous MOTs
• Receipts for work
• Power output?
• CAT 1 Thatcham alarm and documentation?
• Who did the head recondition? What involved?

Buying

• RAC hpi check (re written off stolen recovered etc) 0800 975 5867 (£20) or Hpi 0845 300 8905 (£42) or AA 0800 056 8040 (£40 & free mileage info)
• Receipt for deposit
Old 17-12-2007, 10:32 PM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Jimboxr4x4
I'm just the same as you - wanted a cossie for ten years before getting one at 33. I've had mine for 10 months now and its been great. When I picked mine up and drove it home it was fantastic.

I actually bought the first one I looked at but it is a nice car, only 2 previous owners and loads of receipts. Always get it properly set up as for the cost of a set-up (about £150) you will get peace of mind and the car will drive a lot better once set up properly. Once i'd got the car home I didn't drive it again for a couple of weeks so I could change all of the oils and fluids. Definately worth doing in my opinion.

Whereabouts are you? If you want someone to come and have a look with you i'm sure someone of here would oblige.

When I started looking I typed out a checklist - its by no means definitive but should give you a few ideas what to look for. Good luck.

CHECKLIST

Bodywork

• Rear arches
• Front arches
• Boot floor, especially above exhaust side. Also pull up to check inner rear panels
• Suspension tops
• Battery tray
• Any welding on underside? Chassis rails, sills etc.
• Consistant panel gaps
• Colour match. Any paint work been done?
• Around sunroof. Can bubble up around it.

Interior

• Heater working
• Cracked dash
• Headlining sagging
• Staining around sunroof (seals failing)

Engine

• White sludge on filler cap (head gasket)
• Header tank oily film on top of coolant (head gasket)
• White smoke – turbo shot. If so remove hose from turbo inlet to airbox and feel for play in turbo impellor. A little play is okay
• Blue smoke on boost means tired turbo oil seals
• Constant blue smoke means engine rebuild
• Slight misfire under acceleration is common
• Cambelt change? Should be every 48k miles
• Rev engine when stationary and look for twist in engine (mounts or driveshafts)
• Run up to temp and check fans cut in

Identity

• Check V5 numbers match slam panel and panel under carpet (check surrounding areas for signs of fresh paint or welding. Prefix should be BFGC4

Transmission

• Crunching through gears means worn synchro (except reverse)
• Listen for whining from box and diffs
• Uprated clutch?

Electrics

• Remote releases for boot and petrol filler
• Look for frayed or damaged wiring in engine bay

Paperwork

• V5 (check previous keepers)
• When does MOT expire?
• Previous MOTs
• Receipts for work
• Power output?
• CAT 1 Thatcham alarm and documentation?
• Who did the head recondition? What involved?

Buying

• RAC hpi check (re written off stolen recovered etc) 0800 975 5867 (£20) or Hpi 0845 300 8905 (£42) or AA 0800 056 8040 (£40 & free mileage info)
• Receipt for deposit
Thanks very much mate, ive just printed this info off!

I live in Milton Keynes (Roundabout City!). I see your S London.....near Bromley? I have family there!
Old 18-12-2007, 06:16 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

MK is not far from me, about 90 miles.
Bung someone some petrol money, I am sure they will help.
Does anyone remember Mike Brewer telling people to look for white sludge on the filler cap of the PORSCHE 911 when buying.
Neat trick having water leaks inside an air cooled engine!!
tabetha
Old 18-12-2007, 06:24 AM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by big mac
Agree with that regular oil and water checks and servicing my 4x4 is used every day no probs!
Mine too.
Old 18-12-2007, 06:33 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Bodywork, the car is a minimum of 15 years old, it will not be perfect, if I saw a car with no rust I would walk away, but if I saw a car that had new panels here and there that would ensure they are not going to need doing.
As for panel gaps, this is a FORD, they were not great when new let alone 15 years old.White sludge on filler cap could just be a car that does short journeys, or just started up now and again.
Blue smoke does NOT mean turbo gone there could be a whole host of reasons, like the wrong oil, old oil etc.
NO MISFIRE IS ACCEPTABLE EVER, and certainly NOT normal, not in a million years.
Cambelt, do it anyway with tensioner every 25,000.
Engine twist is normal, it is the extent that is the issue but any that are shot can still pass the twist test but vibrate on driving, driveshafts have NOTHING to do with engine twist.
Crunching through gears, if it has auprated clutch could be caused by driver not FULLY depressing clutch, as they are a bit hairy and need all 100% of the travel to be used, mine is the same.
Remote release for filler cap/boot only later ones, earlyones did not have it.
In an ideal world you would lok for everything, I am not trying to be critical here, but lack of knowledge could see you walking away from a good one that needs a little TLC.
As for history, if from a dealer assume it is all lies and you won't go far wrong.
I would never in a million years trust on any car ever that the belt/tensioner had been done, and would always do it as a matter of course, easiest engine in the world to do as well.
tabetha
Old 19-12-2007, 07:47 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

go 2wd mate..dosent take to much toime toi get used to it main point is to respect them
Old 11-01-2008, 09:57 AM
ISB RS
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi mate,

I do agree that the 2wd must be respected in the wet, but they are so much fun to drive.

I fell in love with the first one I saw, but turned out to be a gooden. I would recommend you see a few as they are getting on a bit.....

I have had my 1988 2wd sapp cossie for 12 years now, brought standard from Essex Sports Cars back in the day, now stage 1 amhed bayjoo tuned and it is the best car i have ever owned.

Key to cossie ownership is to maintain it, reg oil changes, services, and it will respect you..

Defo respect the Sapp RS Cossie! go for it mate
Old 11-01-2008, 01:19 PM
R5COS

Originally Posted by stevecossy
I had to wait years to buy 1 too but its worth the wait buddy ya will not regret it if ya get a good 1. But as above they can suck ya wallet dry very easy. good luck.
ill second that hope ya have deep pockets if ya wanna keep her right
Old 11-01-2008, 07:36 PM
m_nettleship
PassionFord Post Troll

GO 2WD, TEBETHA IS SPOT ON, WEN U PRINTED JIMBOS STATMENT OUT, CHUCK IT IN THE BIN!!!!
Old 11-01-2008, 08:06 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

The old saying goes "if you can't buy a cossie twice its purchase price then don't get one"

Luciano
Old 11-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Jimboxr4x4

tabetha
Bodywork, the car is a minimum of 15 years old, it will not be perfect, if I saw a car with no rust I would walk away, but if I saw a car that had new panels here and there that would ensure they are not going to need doing.
As for panel gaps, this is a FORD, they were not great when new let alone 15 years old.White sludge on filler cap could just be a car that does short journeys, or just started up now and again.
Blue smoke does NOT mean turbo gone there could be a whole host of reasons, like the wrong oil, old oil etc.
NO MISFIRE IS ACCEPTABLE EVER, and certainly NOT normal, not in a million years.
Cambelt, do it anyway with tensioner every 25,000.
Engine twist is normal, it is the extent that is the issue but any that are shot can still pass the twist test but vibrate on driving, driveshafts have NOTHING to do with engine twist.
Crunching through gears, if it has auprated clutch could be caused by driver not FULLY depressing clutch, as they are a bit hairy and need all 100% of the travel to be used, mine is the same.
Remote release for filler cap/boot only later ones, earlyones did not have it.
In an ideal world you would lok for everything, I am not trying to be critical here, but lack of knowledge could see you walking away from a good one that needs a little TLC.
As for history, if from a dealer assume it is all lies and you won't go far wrong.
I would never in a million years trust on any car ever that the belt/tensioner had been done, and would always do it as a matter of course, easiest engine in the world to do as well.
tabetha
It was supposed to be a checklist to give you ideas what to look for.

I certainly wouldn't walk away from a car with no rust. My car has no rust and still has original panels. If well looked after there are plenty of 15 year old cars with no rust.

I don't agree with your remark about panel gaps. The Fords i've owned have never had uneven panel gaps.

I also never said a misfire is 'acceptable'. I said it was 'common' which it is on many cossies and doesn't mean it has a problem that can't be solved with a setup.

Its a basic checklist, I did not say that each of those symptoms was definately that problem. It stood me in good stead and i've had no problems whatsoever with mine.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Jimboxr4x4

m_nettleship
WEN U PRINTED JIMBOS STATMENT OUT, CHUCK IT IN THE BIN!!!!
Thanks for your constructive imput. Godzilla asked
Going to do some research tonight on buying a Sapphire Cosworth tonight, any tips though, most common problems to look for?
I think my list is a bit better than your one line advice
Old 11-01-2008, 10:06 PM
big mac

Think jimbo was quite informative if in doubt take someone who knows
Old 12-01-2008, 08:28 AM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cossies were MADE to be everyday cars.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:35 AM
big mac

agree with that they are tough as old boot
they only become unreliable when heavily tuned or lack of maintainance
as ppl including my self have said regular servicing and checks and their as good as gold

i love owning a legend and everybody has the highest respect for these cars even today

good luck in your search godzilla
Old 12-01-2008, 09:58 AM
the saint

we`ve had 6 sapphs and all of them apart from my sapph now has been in daily use and as above if serviced and driven with some respect they will be fine.

when i say respect i mean you drive sensible when you need to and give it a good clearout as and when you want really lol, worked for all of ours one was a 4x4 which was totally standard and it drove bloody lovely just down on power but then we`re used to stg3 cars and more lol
Old 12-01-2008, 10:47 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cossies were MADE to be everyday cars.

Yes but that was over decade ago when they were brand new

Luciano
Old 12-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Cossies are so addictive once you have owned or driven 1 thats it your hooked.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:48 PM
big mac

Aint that the truth! Lol
Old 13-01-2008, 08:10 AM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by glennshute
Cossies are so addictive once you have owned or driven 1 thats it your hooked.

Amen to that very hard to get these cars out of ya system

Luciano
Old 13-01-2008, 09:08 AM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Cossies are like women, you spend your spare time and money buying shiny things for them - and you don't resent it.
Old 13-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Moonstone Steve.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A nice magenta saph in the for sale section

Steve
Old 13-01-2008, 10:24 AM
the saint

damn right theyre addictive they make even the tightest of men spend money for no reason at all
Old 23-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

addictive aint the word. Ive been a car trader for the last few years now and could buy from a whole host of fast cars and i sold my 54 plate sti to change to a 4x4 cossie. I wish i could explain it but i cant. its the thrill. And the capabilities of it, as long as youre wallet extends to it.
Old 23-01-2008, 04:08 PM
maxest
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Tabetha Why would you walk away from a car with no rust?? Also i would walk away from a car that has had new panels, unless it was cheap..

I've had numerous cosworths and the panels gaps have been spot on,
Old 23-01-2008, 04:54 PM
kosienutter
Last Time, Get Off PF FFS

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

i have spent 1500 quid in the last 4 months the brake pads and disc replacments, two new tyres added most of that up with a little tiny thing here and there going wrong each months being no more than 100 quid to fix each time.

look after it and check it weekly Level wise (oil, water, tyres) and it will stay strong in my opinion.

oil tip use mobil oil its brilliant