Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Tuning help needed....cmon guys lend a hand

Search this Thread

Old 13-06-2006, 11:37 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning help needed....cmon guys lend a hand

hi guys....

I have a 3door rep (1600L shell, all 3 doors bits transferred inc abs etc..) with 4x4 saph tranny and a 200 block 4wd engine. Its starting to get to a reasonable state now after i brought it it was a bit shoddy.... It's stage 1 ish atm and about 270bhp but it just isnt enough anymore and thats where you guys come in!

Cars spec at min:-

Stripped out rear with a full follcage and 4 points.
standard 2wd T3 (very good low mileage) on 4x4 manifold.
-31 actuator set to 1 bar.
completely standard engine (low mileage and in mint condition).
L8 (red sticker on top) ecu with some sort of babyboard, Stage 1 chip (270).

Bits i have ready to fit:-
4wd loom (as its on a n old 2wd loom and dont wanna risk it)
4wd intercooler
green injectors
3 bar map sensor
Big brembo calipers and some large bells and rotors for front..soon to get rear upgrade.

So heres the situation, im not sure what the greens are capable of so should i go to a t34 or stay with the T3 and have a 360 bearing put in when it dies? I can stretch the funds to a T34 but not sure if i'd want the lag as im a lauch whore.

So what do i need to do to bring the rest of the setup to the level of the greens? ohh and it'll be mapped at nms when its done for maximum pleasure :P

Sorry for the rambling its bloody late :P

CheeRS
Dan

Old 14-06-2006, 12:21 AM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd keep the 2wd loom on the car. The 4x4 looms can cause problems with the 3 big connectors corroding. If you're handy with electrics, strip the 2wd loom, inspect the wires and replace where/if needed, and replace all the connectors and pins.

With regards turbos, the least lag T34 will need a 0.48 exhaust housing - personnaly, I'd buy one rather than spending money on the T3.

Your best bet would be to talk to Karl and follow his advice, rather than know-it-alls on here, me included. He'll be able to ask you all the right questions to determine in his opinion what you need to suit your use of the car. If you get an off-the-shelf chip from him, he may say go with a T34. If you get a live map, he may say stick with the T3. Talk to him.
Old 14-06-2006, 11:46 AM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you would want a rs500 sized intercooler at stage3, the 4x4 ones will strugle to keep the charge temps down
Old 14-06-2006, 02:45 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

nice 1 guys,

As for the cooler i can get a 500 style cooler for 200 quid from a mate so that is a possibility......i hadnt thought about needing 1 to be honest.

And the 2wd loom i have it a right mess...its all corroded and the plugs are fucked......with regards to the connection blocks i was planning on hard wiring the connection blocks like most people do once they have corroded :P

What bhp can i look forward to at stage 3?
What kind of power will the T3 @21psi produce?
What boost can a t34 with a 0.48 exh housing handle?

Sorry about all the questions i just want some direction before i start to spend money on things :P

Cheers
Dan
Old 14-06-2006, 04:40 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

i would start off with the t3 and get karl to map it on the greens with a massive boost spike in the midrange (i think he might go up to 26 psi or more) tailing off to preserve the life of the turbo. the 4x4 i/c will be fine for 95% of the time at that level, but if you can get a good rs500 style one for a good price then it's worth it.

a t3 on greens at 21 psi with good intercooling could produce around 300 bhp, but combine that with the midrange torque of up to 360 lb.ft and the punchiness of the t3 and you've got a seriously quick car
Old 14-06-2006, 09:29 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

i've enquired about the 500 style intercooler and fingers crossed should be getting it very shortly!!!!

I think im tending to agree with you Nick and if its capable of a boost spike of 26psi then im happy as i normally short shift when pushing my car anyway as i dont like hitting the limiter if i can help it...plus the torques lower down in the revs so its no big deal.

So what you think i should do is to go for the gun-ship type setup nsm do for stage 1...i spoke to the man last week and he reckoned that with 21 psi spike on stage 1 he would get 300bhp so if i had a 26psi spike where it counts then its looking good for 340bhp ish which on a 4x4 quick spooling car like mine would be plenty :P

So really i can make do now with a 500 cooler and a norris map :P...could be done a lot sooner than i had anticipated.

Cheers
Dan
Old 14-06-2006, 11:36 PM
wildheart
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Karls stage 1 gunship is for yellows.

He can do a green setup with a boost spike,what boost spike depends on what T3 you have (the 4x4 one will be better).

I'd personaly go for a Greys and T34.55 setup if you can afford it,lag isnt bad at all.

Either way you'll be well pleased after Karl has finished working his magic on it
Old 15-06-2006, 02:51 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

yeah i was on about the gun ship type setupwhere the boost drops off later in the revs...but obviously with more boost and greens.

How do i tell the 2wd and 4wd T3's apart?

Dan