Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

Suspected fuel pump failure mk3 mondy

Search this Thread

Old 22-10-2013, 05:24 PM
theheap
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspected fuel pump failure mk3 mondy

Evening folks, my neighbour has been at the door with mondeo woes. It won't start. Car was fine on Saturday so...

Checked spark by pulling no.1 lead and putting a plug in it and got a solid spark. Great.

Lifted the rear bench to access the pump,and had a listen as the ignition was turned on and of and there is no noise, buzzing or anything nor when cranking.
Pulled the plug and put a fuse/live tester in. iirc there are 4 wires the one on the far right became live when ignition is turned on and goes out after a second <Relay trying to prime pump?
When cranking over the engine the tester stays on but is a tad dim.

All the other wires showed no power.

I'm now almost certain it's the pump. Any info suggesting otherwise is very welcome.

From ECP prices are 108+vat for the good 60+vat for the poor and 12 quid from the scrappy.

So it's scrappy for me in the morning.

Question; I have to remove it myself at the breakers but want to test before i buy. I read they will prime with a 9v durracell battery (little rectangle thing) is this correct?

So, is there anything i can test before i go scrappy, do they prime with that little battery and last question is can i lift the pump out in situ or does the tank need to be dropped as it look rather tight under that seat?

Thanks in advance

Terry