Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

Engine rattle at idle only when hot. Worried!

Search this Thread

Old 22-02-2013, 10:12 PM
StrictlyDirt3
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rattle at idle only when hot. Worried!

Hi,

I have a 2001 Mk3 Mondeo petrol that has done nearly 70k. It is in great nick but..... about a week ago I have noticed a rattling coming from the engine ONLY at idle and ONLY when the engine is hot (not mildly warm, but hot). The rattling is irregular and sounds kind of like you are shaking a plastic box with a coin in it. The rattle doesn't seem to be contributing any vibrations. As soon as you gently press the accelerator the rattlings stops.

On closer inspection with the bonnet up, it sounds like it is coming from the belt area (to the left of the engine). These symptoms suggest a possible belt tensioner on it's way out or the more worrying scenario of the inlet manifold butterfly flaps breaking loose!!

I took the car to a mechanic yesterday and suggested these two possible scenarios. I got the car back today. The mechanic said there was excessive play on the tensioner so he fitted a new one. I was relieved and very thankful........only to come home just now and hear exactly the same rattle as before. The problem is not fixed and now I am very worried it could be the manifold flaps, even though I have spent money on getting the tensioner replaced!

So I have put it to this forum. I have tried to be as detailed as possible with the symptoms. Do these symptoms present themselves as a manifold flap problem in people's experience, or could it be something else?

I commute 120 miles daily on a round trip to and from work. Is it wise to continue this until I can get the car booked in for a weekend?

Thanks in advance
Old 25-02-2013, 08:50 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Did the mechanic not check the flaps? If they fail it's game over for the engine, so get them checked out asap.
Old 25-02-2013, 04:02 PM
wulliegunn
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did he put a new belt on it as well? because the old belt will have stretched a lot. Make sure he put the correct size of belt on as I once put a belt on that was for a model of car,made 1 month later than mine,& it turnded out it was the wrong belt(the 1 i shouldve put was 10mm shorter.)AND it was the no1 car part supplier in scotland that maintained it was the right belt,when it wasnt.correct belt installed,& prob disappeared