Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

Ford Mondeo MKIII 2001 help....

Search this Thread

Old 14-02-2012, 09:30 PM
odd ball
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ford Mondeo MKIII 2001 help....

Good evening, hoping you guy's can help, I am looking for someone in the North East to do the Intake manifold mod on my X-Reg Mondeo LX Estate or recomend a decent garage to do the job at a fair price.

I am new to cars so aint that clued up, done a test tonight and sure enough it has the "death rattle" so removal of the swirl flaps needs done or replacement if required.
Also would it do any harm driving the car with the small vacuum hose detached for the time being as this seems to cure the problem?

Thanks in advance

Rob.
Old 15-02-2012, 06:55 PM
shaneRS
Virgin

Hey Rob, cant help with your problem i'm affraid but can you tell me what the intake manifold mod or "death rattle" are? I've just bought a 2001 2.0 lx, should I be worried?!!!
Old 15-02-2012, 07:21 PM
odd ball
Virgin

Originally Posted by shaneRS
Hey Rob, cant help with your problem i'm affraid but can you tell me what the intake manifold mod or "death rattle" are? I've just bought a 2001 2.0 lx, should I be worried?!!!
Hello mate, if you lift the bonnet with the engine running and remove the engine plastic cover and listen close to the front of the engine you will here a clatter/rattle noise, this is the swirl flap problem.

you can confirm this by removing the small rubber hose in the front of the intake manifold and if the noise goes away then you have the problem

See my pic below for which hose to remove - it will take a bit of getting off, just be patient and not too rough

Name:  DSC01722.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  138.1 KB

Name:  DSC01721.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  56.9 KB

It should sound like this....

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/yy85/rjm-tdcs/?action=view¤t=MOV01723.mp4
Old 16-02-2012, 07:10 PM
shaneRS
Virgin

So if i have that noise, what should i do? Can it be sorted?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Paul Jackson
Virgin

If you have the noise get the intake manifold removed and the flaps with spindles removed before they come very loose and smash the engine up! The car does not need them and will pass mot without them.
When removed the inlet has an insert with a hole eash side for the spindles, these can be filled with a very strong glue or tbh could just be left alone. Anything up to 2003 roughly should have this problem if a later spec upgrade has not been done.