Ford Focus Range This Section Contains All The Ford Focus Model Specific Forums.

I'm really stuck. How do I tighten this bolt?! video included, please please help me

Search this Thread

Old 29-01-2017, 05:54 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I'm really stuck. How do I tighten this bolt?! video included, please please help me

car, 2006 mk2 ford focus sport 1.8 TDCI.

Been working on this for 2 days taking 12 hours so far.

The top bolt on turbo oil feed pipe is loose and oil is coming out of it, I can loosen it just about but to tighten it past finger tight is an absolute nightmare ! there is the exhaust manifold to the left in the way and a box thing (somebody said it looks like torque something, said does not think it can be removed ?? )
if that box thing can be removed I will have 100 % access to tighten this bolt.

What about flare spanners, are the heads on these spanners thinner than regular spanners as I need something about quarter a centimetre width either side. would a flare spanner be adequate ?

Last edited by FastLife91; 29-01-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 29-01-2017, 05:58 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

video above ^^^^

regards- OP

Last edited by FastLife91; 29-01-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 29-01-2017, 06:09 PM
H3lsing
ffoc.co.uk

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

The video needs to have youtube or http tags wrapped around the link for it to work. Actually I can't see the option to do that, so I just put your link in my post.

As for the problem I can't help you there, but someone should be along soon.

Last edited by H3lsing; 29-01-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 29-01-2017, 06:11 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by H3lsing
The video needs to have youtube or http tags wrapped around the link for it to work. Actually I can't see the option to do that, so I just put your link in my post.

https://youtu.be/6bA6VsKCH4c
As for the problem I can't help you there, but someone should be along soon.
hello, thanks for the quick response.

please, can you try this link, I am aware there was a problem with the previous link, please try it now.

Old 29-01-2017, 07:31 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

What is the big plastic box thing to the right of it, can this be removed?

Still think a flare spanner would be best.
Old 29-01-2017, 07:47 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

I would strip everything above it our to give you room
Old 29-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Loomer
Regular Contributor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Have you tried a crows foot?

Trending Topics

Old 29-01-2017, 08:57 PM
DangerousBryan
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The black box is the wastegate actuator. It can be removed but if you just get a crowsfoot it will go straight on.
The following users liked this post:
FastLife91 (04-02-2017)
Old 29-01-2017, 09:36 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Can't figure out what bolt you mean? :-/
Old 30-01-2017, 12:00 AM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by studabear

I am not sure what it is, I thought about removing that 3 days ago but some foreigner I spoke to briefly said he does not think it can be removed. Tonight I noticed the black box is held on by some sort of bracket and has about 7 10m bolts, I removed them and the box separates from the bracket but the bracket is mounted onto something else like the manifold and not sure I will be able to remove it. however removing the bolts has give me a tiny bit more room.

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
thanks, I have taken a few things apart and will see better tomorrow what the situation on it currently is.

Originally Posted by Loomer
several people have mentioned that ( also known as a flare spanner) I want to know how thin the head is on the flare spanner, like the width on either side of the head, because I only have about half a centimetre gap on the left and quarter centimetre gap to the right.

Originally Posted by DangerousBryan
The black box is the wastegate actuator. It can be removed but if you just get a crowsfoot it will go straight on.
thanks for replying.
Some foreigner who I briefly spoke with said it looked like a torque something but wasn't quite sure ?
the waste gate is on the opposite side of the engine I believe, or am I mistaken ? (I'm not too sure )
I think a crows foot spanner is another name for a flare spanner, how big is the head on these either side because I only have half a centimetre or so gap on the left and approx. quarter a centimetre gap on the right.

Originally Posted by rog
the hexagon shaped looking bolt, toward the back of the engine. thanks

Note to everyone above, here is the small bit of pipe , I am able to screw it out but it is very difficult to get in screwed back in tight, it was cut because it was leaking so we made a pipe from reinforced hose and put a jubilee clip from the reinforced hose to the remaining bit of the original metal pipe. Here is a picture of what it looks like and any tips how to be able to put it on tight to stop it from leaking oil is much appreciated. thanks

Old 30-01-2017, 11:33 AM
Loomer
Regular Contributor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Get a deep socket and cut a section out of the middle to allow you to do it up over the pipe then, plenty of ways around it.
Old 30-01-2017, 01:22 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Get a deep socket and cut a section out of the middle to allow you to do it up over the pipe then, plenty of ways around it.

thanks for replying.

I doubt a deep socket would work, the width of the socket may be too big to fit in , the socket is shorter than the pipe, I really don't think doing this with a deep socket would work but thanks again anyway.
I would like to know if you have any other ideas around this, would a flare spanner be an option ?

thanks in advance

Last edited by FastLife91; 30-01-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 30-01-2017, 01:38 PM
H3lsing
ffoc.co.uk

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

A deep socket would be my way around it. With some modification it might look like this pic:

Or this:

Last edited by H3lsing; 30-01-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 30-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLife91
thanks for replying.

I doubt a deep socket would work, the width of the socket may be too big to fit in , the socket is shorter than the pipe, I really don't think doing this with a deep socket would work but thanks again anyway.
I would like to know if you have any other ideas around this, would a flare spanner be an option ?

thanks in advance
Would you get a "crows foot" in there. a bit like this: http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Par...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 30-01-2017, 04:55 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Had too take the turbo off my golf the other day. I fucking hate working on cars being a truck man and I too had issue getting on the oil feed pipe to the turbo. Only way I could get on it any sense was with a crows foot on an extension with a wobble end
Old 30-01-2017, 06:05 PM
rik-rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 137 Likes on 118 Posts

ring spanner, modified to fit? notch out of it and grind the outside if too thick..arse working on cars when you are stuck like this..
Old 30-01-2017, 06:32 PM
ray barker
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

thanks for replying.

thanks in advance
what your going to have to do is mod a socket or spanner. cut them up with a grinder . make a socket wall thinner by grinding it down . cut a spanner up weld it back together a different shape theres plenty of options. what tools have you tried
Old 31-01-2017, 10:36 AM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Would you get a "crows foot" in there. a bit like this: http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Par...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thank you for your response.
No, the width of the crows foot is too wide to fit it in the tight gap. However I kept hitting it sideways with a screwdriver (could only tap it as have very little room )and it feels tight so when my booster pack is ready to charge the battery (battery flat) I shall see if it has stopped leaking oil from there, however I got it tight 2 days ago but did not stop the oil leak but it does feel slightly tighter but there would be
more turns to get it fully tight if I had the room ., will let you know in a bit when I have engine running.

Originally Posted by ajamesc
Had too take the turbo off my golf the other day. I fucking hate working on cars being a truck man and I too had issue getting on the oil feed pipe to the turbo. Only way I could get on it any sense was with a crows foot on an extension with a wobble end
Thanks for your reply.

I hate working on car's too when it get's like this, I am no mechanic, had no training but due to the 5 years of my motoring, spending Ł9,000 on repairs over 4 cars and being lied to and having poorly done work on my car from ''mechanics'' I have decided to take the approach off repairs myself and tackle a few jobs and despite finding some of the jobs awkward such as this one, they are not really difficult at all and I estimate I have saved over Ł500 in recent months doing jobs on the car myself.

However I do not see how fitting your turbo oil feed pipe would have been difficult if you had major parts apart anyway like the turbo, you'd have more access, whereas everything is still basically on my car such as the turbo, manifold, EGR, etc.. which is causing the difficulty in getting this bolt tight.

However I kept hitting the bolt sideways (could only tap it as have very little room) with a screwdriver and it feels tight so when my booster pack is ready to charge the battery (battery flat) I shall see if it has stopped leaking oil from there, however I got it tight 2 days ago but did not stop the oil leak but it does feel slightly tighter but there would be
more turns to get it fully tight if I had the room ., will let you know in a bit when I have engine running.

Originally Posted by rik-rs
ring spanner, modified to fit? notch out of it and grind the outside if too thick..arse working on cars when you are stuck like this..
Thanks for the reply.

I cannot of that because the head of the spanner/socket is too wide to fit in the gap.

However I kept hitting the bolt sideways (could only tap it as have very little room) with a screwdriver and it feels tight so when my booster pack is ready to charge the battery (battery flat) I shall see if it has stopped leaking oil from there, however I got it tight 2 days ago but did not stop the oil leak but it does feel slightly tighter but there would be

Note to the above : sorry for my slow reply, my computer informed me of new messages and I knew the thread has new replies but when clicking it only showed me old replies from days ago, seems to be a bit faulty as taking a while to show your messages. thanks for your responses.
Old 31-01-2017, 05:12 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ray barker
what your going to have to do is mod a socket or spanner. cut them up with a grinder . make a socket wall thinner by grinding it down . cut a spanner up weld it back together a different shape theres plenty of options. what tools have you tried
Yep, make a tool to fit the job
Old 31-01-2017, 07:51 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Mike1
thanks for replying.

I was walking along a street before and as luck would have it an old man in a bungalow was working in his garage, I decided to stop and ask him if he had any ideas, he actually had a metal cutting machine and a thin spanner and he cut the bit around the head making the sides thinner, the spanner he gave me was a little smaller (he gave me 17mm spanner )than the size to fit the bolt which I think is a 19mm, once home I tried it with the with the 17 mm that he gave me, the one he cut the sides to make thinner but I found it very difficult getting it in the small space and unable to get any turn on the bolt or even a grip

Last edited by FastLife91; 31-01-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:55 PM
IanC

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

did you manage to sort this pal
Old 02-02-2017, 06:51 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if that's the feed pipe you need to get a new one, no point in bodging the old one as that will piss oil everywhere
Old 02-02-2017, 07:40 PM
markie t
THE REAL DEAL

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

WHY DONT YOU JUST TAKE IT TO THE GARAGE, SIMPLES
Old 03-02-2017, 07:22 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by studabear

Originally Posted by DangerousBryan
Originally Posted by rog
Originally Posted by ajamesc
Originally Posted by rik-rs
Thank you for your response.
No, the width of the crows foot is too wide to fit it in the tight gap. However I kept hitting it sideways with a screwdriver (could only tap it as have very little room )and it feels tight so when my booster pack is ready to charge the battery (battery flat) I shall see if it has stopped leaking oil from there, however I got it tight 2 days ago but did not stop the oil leak but it does feel slightly tighter but there would be

Thanks for your reply.

I hate working on car's too when it get's like this, I am no mechanic, had no training but due to the 5 years of my motoring, spending Ł9,000 on repairs over 4 cars and being lied to and having poorly done work on my car from ''mechanics'' I have decided to take the approach off repairs myself and tackle a few jobs and despite finding some of the jobs awkward such as this one, they are not really difficult at all and I estimate I have saved over Ł500 in recent months doing jobs on the car myself.

However I do not see how fitting your turbo oil feed pipe would have been difficult if you had major parts apart anyway like the turbo, you'd have more access, whereas everything is still basically on my car such as the turbo, manifold, EGR, etc.. which is causing the difficulty in getting this bolt tight.

Thanks for the reply.

I cannot of that because the head of the spanner/socket is too wide to fit in the gap.

Note to the above : sorry for my slow reply, my computer informed me of new messages and I knew the thread has new replies but when clicking it only showed me old replies from days ago, seems to be a bit faulty as taking a while to show your messages. thanks for your responses.
Originally Posted by IanC
did you manage to sort this pal
Originally Posted by Mike1
Originally Posted by dojj
if that's the feed pipe you need to get a new one, no point in bodging the old one as that will piss oil everywhere
Originally Posted by markie t
WHY DONT YOU JUST TAKE IT TO THE GARAGE, SIMPLES
Default I think this turbo oil feed bolt nightmare is over ! (last thread on this I hope, )
First of all I want to apologise for creating another thread regarding the same topic, however this thread should and I certainly hope it to be the last regarding this stupid turbo oil feed bolt.

Well here is the latest update.

My friend came back this morning with this bolt after altering it, for those who didn't follow the story here is what the bolt on the car looked like

and he cut grooves in it so that I now have enough room to get ti tight and it looks a little like this now

The bolt is now absolutely solid on the car,unfortunately I have been unable to start the car to check it because the battery is flat and is now indoors charging.

My question is will this bolt be okay now that is has been altered ?

I am relieved to declare that this should be the last thread on this topic ( I hope) and I wish to thank everyone again who has helped and guided me along the way.

thanks all

Last edited by FastLife91; 03-02-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:24 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Let us know if it worked mate
Old 04-02-2017, 08:28 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Let us know if it worked mate

thanks for your reply.

I am going to take your advice and will get a new turbo oil feed pipe but am going to wait until next week as I need to use the car but this altered bolt on the turbo pipe should do until then.

SO I am going to get a new turbo pipe, does the whole turbo and egr e.t.c. have to be removed or is it a quick job ?
the car is a 2006 mk2 ford focus sport 1.8 TDCI

Can you also please post a photo of the pipe for my car , there are 2 types apparently but mine is a long thin metal type, I cannot picture what it looks like as it has been botched up and I never saw the original before it was cut or anything.

thanks
Old 04-02-2017, 08:55 PM
ray barker

find out from ford with the chassis number and engine number. with your reg number they will tell you. did your fandangow star shape bolt work. even i wouldnt of come up with that one fingers crossed for you
Old 04-02-2017, 09:06 PM
ray barker

i hope you reply soon before i fall a sleep. im not been sarcastick but the suspense is killing. this is worse than when my wife went into labour years ago
slammedorion (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 09:46 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

find out from ford with the chassis number and engine number. with your reg number they will tell you. did your fandangow star shape bolt work. even i wouldnt of come up with that one fingers crossed for you
i hope you reply soon before i fall a sleep. im not been sarcastick but the suspense is killing. this is worse than when my wife went into labour years ago
Thanks again for your reply.

Well my friend who altered the bolt was with me yesterday but when we went to start the car the battery was flat so I brought it in on charge overnight.

Started it today and there are no leaks from the bolt but the engine was only running at idle, because the reinforced pipe which is attached to the reinforced hose to the bit of remaining metal original pipe started leaking from under jubilee clip, so I need to get another jubilee clip which should stop the leak. It has never leaked before cutting the bolt though and I have ever only used 1 clip on it, maybe because it is tight all the way now that could be why because of the pressure ?

So although I have only had car at idle there are no leaks from the bolt, thank you for asking and I appreciate your help throughout and your patience.

I will give you an update tomorrow, meanwhile can you answer my question regarding which turbo pipe is the correct one for my 2006 mk2 ford focus sport 1.8 tdci. I am planning on buying a brand new one in a week or so and I want to ask if it is relatively easy to replace ?
I think the bottom bit attaches right near oil filter and I know where the top bit goes

So although I have only had car at idle there are no leaks from the bolt, thank you for asking and I appreciate your help throughout and your patience.

please reply when possible

thanks
Old 04-02-2017, 11:16 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

Try a zip tie round it Or ptfe tape
Old 05-02-2017, 02:01 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by slammedorion
Try a zip tie round it Or ptfe tape
lol quality
slammedorion (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 08:02 AM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If your struggling to see under the bonnet, can I suggest some petrol and a match That would sort the leak out
Old 05-02-2017, 08:09 AM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

Fitting the pipe would be easy for a mechanic and it would entail you dropping it at a garage,asking them to fix it then they will call once it's done.
That has to be easier and quicker than going about it the way you are and a lot lot quicker,you have 5 threads about the same thing and it's still leaking so you obviously can't get it fixed so take it somewhere that can and be done with it.

Last edited by 155lee; 05-02-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:06 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by 155lee
Fitting the pipe would be easy for a mechanic and it would entail you dropping it at a garage,asking them to fix it then they will call once it's done.
That has to be easier and quicker than going about it the way you are and a lot lot quicker,you have 5 threads about the same thing and it's still leaking so you obviously can't get it fixed so take it somewhere that can and be done with it.
That is what a lot of us have been saying, there is no shame in not being able to fix everything yourself. For what it would have cost to get it fixed by a qualified mechanic in the first place the op could have saved himself all the frustrating hours and hours he has spent on it.
I just hope he has learnt something from this!!!
Old 05-02-2017, 12:17 PM
timsrs

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Crows foot spanner
Old 05-02-2017, 04:47 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

Started it today and there are no leaks from the bolt but the engine was only running at idle, because the reinforced pipe which is attached to the reinforced hose to the bit of remaining metal original pipe started leaking from under jubilee clip, so I need to get another jubilee clip which should stop the leak. It has never leaked before cutting the bolt though and I have ever only used 1 clip on it, maybe because it is tight all the way now that could be why because of the pressure ?
No shit Sherlock !!!

Put a proper fucking pipe on it and stop being stupid/dangerous. In no shape or form ever is a jubilee clip the correct clip, or a piece of shit rubber hose the correct nose...nor an un-barbed metal pipe for what you are trying to do.

You're going to end up with a burnt out car.

In fact...keep going, it might end all these fucking threads !!
The following 2 users liked this post by stevieturbo:
burnzy (05-02-2017), It's Czech Mate (05-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 08:31 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
No shit Sherlock !!!

Put a proper fucking pipe on it and stop being stupid/dangerous. In no shape or form ever is a jubilee clip the correct clip, or a piece of shit rubber hose the correct nose...nor an un-barbed metal pipe for what you are trying to do.

You're going to end up with a burnt out car.

In fact...keep going, it might end all these fucking threads !!
hello, thank you for your kind reply.

put 2 jubilee clips on the reinforced hose, tightened the bolt back up and no leaks !!

was able to use the car properly today after about 10 days !!

thanks again
Old 06-02-2017, 08:32 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by 155lee
hi there.

does much need to be removed to fit a new pipe, how long should it take ot fit a new turbo pipe ?

thanks again
Old 06-02-2017, 10:02 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hi there.

does much need to be removed to fit a new pipe, how long should it take ot fit a new turbo pipe ?

thanks again

Should be able to do it within 15 months give or take a month
FastLife91 (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 10:20 PM
FastLife91
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by slammedorion
Should be able to do it within 15 months give or take a month
Hello, thank you for your kind advice, hopefully It will not take me that long to replace

regards

Last edited by FastLife91; 06-02-2017 at 10:22 PM.