Ford Focus ST This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus ST range

New clutch or new car 😢

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 07:30 AM
DJ_AL

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New clutch or new car 😢

My beloved ST170 started slipping under load in 5th and 6th this morning. I know it's not going to be cheap and having only paid 800 for her I'm debating whether I'd be better getting another car altogether 😞 I could use the clutch kit cost toward a deposit on a MK2. Thoughts and advice gents?
Old 11-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Rowe
Skint

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

first thing, your car is worth nout with a fucked clutch.

secondly, the price difference between a mk1 and mk2 ST is vastly different. Be wary of the cheaper ones, most of which need a clutch and timing belt replacing as they're getting to that age now.
Don't expect change from +£1200 for both of those jobs.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:19 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

If it's an otherwise good car with no rot (rare on a focus these days), then I would spend the money on it if you are planning on keeping it for a good while.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:41 PM
DJ_AL

Thanks guys. She's in mostly good condition and minimal rot, certainly not enough to worry about. My mate in the local garage is working on one today bizarrely, he said he can for a new kit for around 400-500, I was expecting twice that so I think I'll go that route and hold back the urge for a MK2 for now. Had a look at some today and the prices are still fairly high for a decent example with low mileage, not far off getting a nearly new one with some deals!
Old 11-07-2017, 02:47 PM
big_wasa
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 126 Likes on 123 Posts

As above, if it's tidy it's worth a clutch. If it's a shed it's not.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:17 AM
DJ_AL

Originally Posted by big_wasa
As above, if it's tidy it's worth a clutch. If it's a shed it's not.
shes fairly tidy for a five door, mechanically sound other than the clutch. The cambelt,etc is 2 months old. I was going to spend the now clutch money on new lower springs and better shocks 🙈
Old 17-07-2017, 05:38 AM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ_AL
Thanks guys. She's in mostly good condition and minimal rot, certainly not enough to worry about. My mate in the local garage is working on one today bizarrely, he said he can for a new kit for around 400-500, I was expecting twice that so I think I'll go that route and hold back the urge for a MK2 for now. Had a look at some today and the prices are still fairly high for a decent example with low mileage, not far off getting a nearly new one with some deals!
to me that sounds like he is only covering cost of clutch, on these its a false economy not to change the DMF at same time which is what brings the price up to a more realistic £800 fitted area as parts along total up close to £500 without labor, arse is falling out of mk2 values at moment as the market is flooded with them from 2k to 10k so Im with Richie as decent 170s are thin on the ground

Trending Topics

Old 18-07-2017, 08:01 AM
DJ_AL

Originally Posted by 1-PD
to me that sounds like he is only covering cost of clutch, on these its a false economy not to change the DMF at same time which is what brings the price up to a more realistic £800 fitted area as parts along total up close to £500 without labor, arse is falling out of mk2 values at moment as the market is flooded with them from 2k to 10k so Im with Richie as decent 170s are thin on the ground
I thought the same, I'll get him to clarify when I see him later as I want the lot doing. Going to keep her and get her ship shape as they're a lot rarer than the newer models, there's at least a dozen ST fiestas and newer focus' in my little town alone!