Ford Focus ST This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus ST range

Hello to all...and I have a question...

Search this Thread

Old 29-12-2015, 09:52 AM
cbrown119
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello to all...and I have a question...

Hi,

I am brand new to these forums. I just found it while researching exhausts and found a whole lot of other useful info - so I decided to register!

I have a 2010 Focus ST (Panther Black).

When I first purchased the car, I remapped the ECU with Code-Red software which I am very happy with. What a difference! Now, a few years later, I am looking at changing out the exhaust from OE and had some questions.

Since it is already remapped, do I need to find an exhaust that is "compatible" with the software/programing or will anything work? I was looking at either the Mountune or Mongoose exhausts. I really don't work anything too loud or annoying - a deep throaty sound (like my old Mustang) is my goal. Any suggestions?

Also, after changing the exhaust, how would this affect the annual emissions/inspection? Will my car still pass - Sweden has tough laws when it comes to emissions/CO2.

Thanks for the time.
Old 31-12-2015, 09:19 AM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Hi, it doesn't matter which one you choose, its just down to personal preference. The Mongoose system seems to be very popular. What I would say though is go for a full system from the turbo back, with a 200 cell sports cat. The bigger downpipe makes a noticeable difference as you will notice the turbo will spool up quicker. It also enhances the sound of the exhaust and turbo. Likewise, the sports cat will also enhance the sound as it is more free flowing. Don't be tempted by the decat option, although much cheaper than a sports cat, you will fail the emissions and your insurance will be void! You could go for a 100 cell cat as that will be more free flowing than a 200, but you will be sailing much closer to the wind with emissions, and after a year or two it may even fail. Therefore the 200 cell is a much safer option.
If cost is an issue then check out ebay and the classified sections of this site and forums such as www.focusstoc.com and also www.ST-OC.com as there is always someone selling exhausts. I did this and saved an absolute fortune on my downpipe and sports cat. I did buy my cat back system new though, but that was before I found all these sites!
Once you get the system on, it really brings the five pot sound to life with plenty of pops and bangs on the over run and in between gear changes. The systems you have mentioned will not be too loud either. I absolutely love mine - nice and quiet when pootling around town, but a nice bit of noise when you hit the loud pedal. Lift off the throttle and you'll get loads of lovely pops and bangs.
Hope this all helps, and let us know what you go for. Also there are plenty of videos on YouTube to give you an idea of what different systems sound like.

Nick.
Old 31-12-2015, 02:07 PM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

It is my experience that a bigger downpipe needs remapping.
It is my experience that a sports cat will trigger faults in the EOBD monitoring system, especially with a car that is so new as yours. Without changes to the software it may only accept a genuine catalyst.

Also, how strict are the emission rules in Sweden? CO2 is not the problem, but CO might be.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:08 PM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

The car already has a code red map on it so will be fine with the bigger downpipe. The map may also have the parameters of the post cat sensor already widened so not to bring up faults when using a sports cat. I'd imagine this would be easy to find out by just giving code red a call or email. My bluefin already had the parameters of the post cat sensor widened, so when I added the downpipe and sports cat there were no issues.
If you are still thinking about a mongoose system, there is a used cat back system on ebay currently at Ł175! Also in the classified section on www.focusstoc.com there is a cobra 200 cell cat for Ł150! That would just leave you needing a downpipe and these regularly pop up in the classified sections and on ebay. I recon you could get yourself a full turbo back system with sports cat for somewhere on the region of Ł500 - Ł600 which would save you an absolute fortune over buying a new system.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:34 AM
cbrown119
Virgin

Thanks for all of the help!

Although I would like to replace the whole exhaust system, I am leaning towards just the cat-back system. Money and to actually stay within my original goal of making the car sound better.

The Code-Red software is good, but since it seems there is no longer any support for that product, I don't want to have errors start springing up if I were to change the downpipes and sports cats...etc. I also heard that there might be problems if the ST goes beyond 300 hp, such as needing to swap out some parts with the RS parts.

But, I will check out the classified section at Focusstoc, that might save me some cash - not too crazy about putting a used system on, though.

Thank you
Old 04-01-2016, 04:54 PM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

No worries mate.
I would start saving for the RS clutch though, cos even though you are staying under 300hp it's very likely you will need it cos the ST clutches are just made of chocolate! And as your car is mapped, it is no doubt producing significantly more torque than standard. Sooner or later it is highly likely it will start to slip. Having said that, you may be one of the lucky ones that gets away with it. I know I wasn't! My car is a 2007 and had about 30,000 miles on it when I put my Bluefin stage 1 map on it. After about a month my clutch started slipping! And I don't even drive it very hard. After many many months of saving and trying to stay off the boost I finally got the RS clutch. The pedal is a little heavier but you soon get used to it. The main thing is, I believe the RS clutch can handle up to around 400hp so it is more than up to the job!

Nick.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:52 PM
CBenno
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Check out Dreamscience there exhausts are spot on just make sure you get the resonated version with the 3 silencers as straight through centre sections drone really bad