Ford Focus ST This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus ST range

ST170 DTC Code P1381

Search this Thread

Old 15-03-2010, 02:37 PM
robholmes
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ST170 DTC Code P1381

Hi, this is my first post here, so please go easy on me.

My ST170 2003(52 Plate), suddenly lost some power on Friday, and not sure whether its just me or not but the engine sounds a little louder and more throaty now (not necessarily a bad thing). But on Sunday, my engine management light came on, so i plugged in my diagnostic unit and got the following codes:

P1381 - Variable Cam Timing Overadvanced (Bank #1)
P1518 - Intake Manifold Runner Control (Stuck Open)

Since I've found out about the P1381 code I'm really worried about whether I can drive the car? Can anyone shed some light on what's wrong, and whether the car is ok to drive for a few days until the garage can look at it? Or is there anything I can do myself?

FYI - Since I've had the car (since November) I've noticed a stuttering of power at low revs, like when trying to accelerate hard-ish in second whilst only going very slow. Seems like engine is struggling to get fuel or air, or both?

Also, the loss of power that started on Friday, was only about 10 mins after driving away from a automatic car wash, which included a full wash with steam cleaning of the underbody... Not sure if this could have anything to do with the issue, but just incase.

Many thanks,

Rob
Old 16-03-2010, 10:59 AM
melinamotor
Farpylee

Originally Posted by robholmes
Hi, this is my first post here, so please go easy on me.

My ST170 2003(52 Plate), suddenly lost some power on Friday, and not sure whether its just me or not but the engine sounds a little louder and more throaty now (not necessarily a bad thing). But on Sunday, my engine management light came on, so i plugged in my diagnostic unit and got the following codes:

P1381 - Variable Cam Timing Overadvanced (Bank #1)
P1518 - Intake Manifold Runner Control (Stuck Open)

Since I've found out about the P1381 code I'm really worried about whether I can drive the car? Can anyone shed some light on what's wrong, and whether the car is ok to drive for a few days until the garage can look at it? Or is there anything I can do myself?

FYI - Since I've had the car (since November) I've noticed a stuttering of power at low revs, like when trying to accelerate hard-ish in second whilst only going very slow. Seems like engine is struggling to get fuel or air, or both?

Also, the loss of power that started on Friday, was only about 10 mins after driving away from a automatic car wash, which included a full wash with steam cleaning of the underbody... Not sure if this could have anything to do with the issue, but just incase.

Many thanks,

Rob
Check the cable that comes from the silver box located on the bulkhead, whats your tickover like, is it loud like a tappity sound?
Im in Basingstoke too mate
Old 16-03-2010, 11:05 AM
robholmes
Virgin

Wow, i didn't expect a reply from someone in Basinstoke

It does sound like its developed a tappity sound now you mention it! Idle speed is pretty normal, maybe a little higher than normal, but that might just be me... What am I looking for on the cable? Just general signs of brokeness?

I'll check it out and get back to you.
Old 17-03-2010, 11:15 AM
robholmes
Virgin

Everything is fine with the IMRC cable at both ends, at the manifold end it moves freely and when moving it by hand it i can hear it moving some sort of flap or something inside.

If anyones got anymore ideas I would love to hear from you??

Thanks,
Rob
Old 18-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get someone to turn on the ignition whilst you look under the bonnet at where the IMRC cable connects to the inlet manfold. When the ignition is turned on straightaway the IMRC will pull the cable to close one of the 2 banks of inlet runners, if this does not happen then the IMRC has had it. There is a cheap fix for this using a 99p electrical part from ebay but sometimes they lunch themselves if they get jammed which will cost you £180ish for a new unit plus labour
The inlet cam with the variable valve timing is very sensitive to change. Usually it throws up that fault after a timing belt has been changed, they are a pain to dial in when fitting a new belt. You usually have to re do the timing a number of times. It could indicate that the belt has stretched which is not a good thing. I would whip off the cover and inspect the belt. The tensioners and idler for the timing belt usually go first and if they do not run true they can cause the belt to rub on the cover.
What ever happens the timing needs to be adjusted to fix this problem and thats a new cam belt job as the cam pullys have to be loosened to get it smack on.
I would clear the codes and wait till it loggs them again. The cam timing code may be an old one?

Last edited by Sp3no; 18-03-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 18-03-2010, 09:15 AM
robholmes
Virgin

Hi thanks for your reply. The IMRC seems to be closing the bank ok, onto the low speed setting, however it doesn't close it until i start the engine and it turns over, rather than just the ignition. Once it hits the 5k rev mark it then reverts itself back to the higher speed/default position.

From what I've been reading/seeing it maybe possible that it is not closing it fully. Does this seem likely??

I've seen the 99p fix your talking about, with replacing the power transistor in the IMRC, which I'm going to give a go on Saturday morning when I've got a spare hour or so. Whilst I'm in there I will check the cogs on the motor to check for any reason that might stop it closing fully.

My engine management light has gone back off now, and when checking the codes again, I can now only see the P1518 code. The cam timing code (P1381) was definitely a new code as I only saw the P1518 code first then on second plugin I saw the P1381, now on third plugin its back to just P1518.

Anyways, if anyone has any more ideas, i'd be more than grateful. Also I'll keep the thread updated with my latest!

Thanks,
Rob
Old 18-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your going through all the right motions, i would whip off the cam cover though just to check the belt looks ok