Ford Focus ST This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus ST range

St170 engine conversion coolant problem

Search this Thread

Old 14-03-2010, 03:11 PM
a__zed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default St170 engine conversion coolant problem

Hi there, iv recently had built a ka with an st170 engine. The drive home which was about 100 miles was fine and had no problems. When I took it out again a couple of days later I took it for a drive and sudenly at idle a coolant pipe popped off. I put this down the the t-piece it attached to not having a serrated edge and just put it back on and topped it back up again. Since then it's been a nightmare! When I went to get the new exhaust fitted the same t-piece popped off no less than 5 times! I then had a look at the routing of the coolant system and found both smaller thermostat pipes went to either side of the heater with no return to the water pump. Assuming this was the cause if the problem I remade the coolant system to be the same as the mondeo silvertop system. Since then the pipe doesn't pop off but I seem to be having a lot of trouble bleeding the system and the heater pipes don't seem to get that firm. Also if I take it or a spin the system seems to overpressurise when I turn the engine off and lots of air bubbles in the expansion tank and steam escaping from the cap. Anybody got any ideas what's going on? Thanx for any help

Aaron
Old 14-03-2010, 05:01 PM
melinamotor
Farpylee

Originally Posted by a__zed
Hi there, iv recently had built a ka with an st170 engine. The drive home which was about 100 miles was fine and had no problems. When I took it out again a couple of days later I took it for a drive and sudenly at idle a coolant pipe popped off. I put this down the the t-piece it attached to not having a serrated edge and just put it back on and topped it back up again. Since then it's been a nightmare! When I went to get the new exhaust fitted the same t-piece popped off no less than 5 times! I then had a look at the routing of the coolant system and found both smaller thermostat pipes went to either side of the heater with no return to the water pump. Assuming this was the cause if the problem I remade the coolant system to be the same as the mondeo silvertop system. Since then the pipe doesn't pop off but I seem to be having a lot of trouble bleeding the system and the heater pipes don't seem to get that firm. Also if I take it or a spin the system seems to overpressurise when I turn the engine off and lots of air bubbles in the expansion tank and steam escaping from the cap. Anybody got any ideas what's going on? Thanx for any help

Aaron
Somethings blocked maybe? sounds like the coolant isnt flowing around properly, also is the rad well ventilated and clear?
Old 14-03-2010, 05:46 PM
a__zed

Yeah radiators pretty much brand new and nice and open. Is the standard ka one but no one else with a zetec conversion seems to have had problems
Old 15-03-2010, 04:37 PM
a__zed

Failed a sniff test. Think it's head gasket or crack head