Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

MK1 FRS Buying Advice UPDATE!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Default MK1 FRS Buying Advice UPDATE!!

Evening Gents..

Right ive decided its time to grow up, i want a MK1 focus rs, been in love since i first saw one and tbh ive nippers so my FRST just dont cut it in the safety stakes no more, it should just be a toy for me..

Now Ive found one im gonna pop in an look at 2moz..
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...2-0-rs/1437102
What we reckon..?

Now im thinking of going the finance route as tbh it'd be a Looooooooooooong term keeper so does Anyone reckon i could finance it at less than £200pcm??, could put 1500 down if need be.
But Ive NEVER had car finance so advice on this would be great an all if poss..

So ontop of ALL the above i Just wondered if anyone could also point me to a Buyers guide, or can give any input into living with one daily, what to look for when buying as i beieve there are two versions of them(facelift??), what special bits and bobs one should have, like tags, service wallets.............................

So if anyone would be so kind as to share there experience's it would as always be very greatly appreciated

Many Many thanks in advance fella's

Last edited by Fraggle...; 14-06-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:53 PM
stevos
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

There ya go mate
I would say no matter how good it is your still going to have to spend money on it.
They are good cars don't get me wrong but boy do they try your patience some time.
http://www.rsownersclub.co.uk/rsocbb...d.php?t=369127

Last edited by stevos; 12-06-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

Originally Posted by stevos
There ya go mate
I would say no matter how good it is your still going to have to spend money on it.
They are good cars don't get me wrong but boy do they try your patience some time.
http://www.rsownersclub.co.uk/rsocbb...d.php?t=369127

Your a Gent, many thanks
Old 12-06-2013, 05:12 PM
stevos

No probs mate if your not a member already I would join the rsoc as its a good site.

Last edited by stevos; 12-06-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:18 PM
stevos

Also check the front wings for rust mate especially where the attatchment to the bumper.
Check the sills behind the side skirts for rust as there is only paint on them and it chips and flakes off.
Get it out and give it a good drive right up through the rev range as they can develop different issues throughout the rev range.
If its a standard car the boost guage should show just under 1 bar and hold it fairly steady
Old 12-06-2013, 05:39 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im sure the car in the first link is one Ive detailed recently . If so the bonnet and front bumper could do with respraying and there are some dent marks in the n/s rear quarter plus the paint isnt good on that panel either and the wheels needed a refurb but not terrible .
Looks like it still needs the Focus badge replacing too.

If you go for it knock him down from that price they paid a good bit less for it .

Last edited by opposite lock; 12-06-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me it looks ok priced for the mileage and condition in the pics. But perhaps a little high on the price side.

I've had one now for 18 months now and it's just ticking round the 75k miles mark and it's been relatively trouble free motoring.

Remember it's just a Mk1 Focus with a few bling bits added to it so don't expect anything else, it's slow in comparison to most modern cars - but if you're going from a Fiesta RST it will feel head and shoulders above a 1990 Fiesta.

What you can expect is a smile even in standard trim as they're so capable.

The things that you will want to replace or will need replacing while you own it are:
Charge Cooler Pump - £70-£100 DIY
Heater Matrix Hose - £60 DIY but its a pain
Cam Belt/Water Pump - but only if it starts leaking and then just replace it with a Zetec pump to avoid silly costs.

If they've already been done it's the sign of a well looked after car by a knowledgeable owner which must be a good thing.

The RSOC buyers guide is good but don't pay too much attention to some of the stuff as you're looking at an 11 year old 77k mile car and it is likely to be just that.

Enjoy - I think they're great.

Trending Topics

Old 12-06-2013, 06:30 PM
adsrs1
Regular Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile

I have had mine for 4 years now and can't fault it with a little bit of fettling they really move every time I get in it it always puts a smile on my face
Old 12-06-2013, 10:19 PM
doctor stavros
AMG C32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

£6995 is decent E46 M3 money........... a million times more car for the money........
Old 12-06-2013, 11:39 PM
IanC
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by doctor stavros
£6995 is decent E46 M3 money........... a million times more car for the money........
But nowhere near as fun to drive! Get on the mk1 frs section on the rsoc there's cracking buyers guide on there buy on condition rather than miles too
Old 13-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

CheeRS for all the input fella's

Would LOVE one but tbh they are a bit out of my league financially, insurance is soppy and tax is a bit erm steep.
And atleast with a frs i could just about do most works myself..
Old 13-06-2013, 08:21 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

You would get a complete DOG for that!!! I would steer well clear of one at that price..... and repairs are not cheap on them either!! a full service is £800+ alone...

Originally Posted by IanC
But nowhere near as fun to drive! Get on the mk1 frs section on the rsoc there's cracking buyers guide on there buy on condition rather than miles too
They are a lot more fun that a front wheel drive RS, one of the best handling cars out there actually...I do love the Focus RS and even looked at a few myself recently
Old 13-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Sticky.
20K+ Super Poster.

Jake, charge cooler pumps are £5 to replace, it's only the brushes. Mine was fooled and works perfect now. Saves the big payout for a full unit.
Old 13-06-2013, 11:35 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

www.focusrsoc.com

best advice i can give is join the forum and ask away in there!
Old 13-06-2013, 12:26 PM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

£800 to service an M3!!! Who services it, God? My local Indy charges half that for an inspection 2!

And I've seen plenty of good m3s with new rear subframes for that price.

Tax is no more expensive than an frs if you get one pre tax band changes.

But, you want an frs, so get one and enjoy it!
Old 13-06-2013, 02:01 PM
mattyharman
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Have a look at this one. The lad is on the RSOC as well.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...--2410/1387207

http://www.rsownersclub.co.uk/rsocbb...d.php?t=539880

https://passionford.com/forum/cars-f...rs-2410-a.html

With regards to finance etc..... I had a personal loan with ZOPA not so long ago. Good APR and money was with me within a few days. Perks of a personal loan as well is if you change your mind after a few years you can sell the car and get something different. With finance the money is tied up in the car so the balance needs to be payed off otherwise it will come up on a HPI report.
http://uk.zopa.com/borrowing/landing...ce=AFFPPCBrand

Last edited by mattyharman; 13-06-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Links added
Old 13-06-2013, 02:05 PM
maxest
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You need to look at a bank loan, as due to the age of the car most finance houses won't be interested, and those that all will be very high apr. Then you can look at private vehicles to..
Old 13-06-2013, 03:04 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by SapphyMike
£800 to service an M3!!! Who services it, God? My local Indy charges half that for an inspection 2!

And I've seen plenty of good m3s with new rear subframes for that price.

Tax is no more expensive than an frs if you get one pre tax band changes.

But, you want an frs, so get one and enjoy it!
A main stealer is more than £800 Mike.!.When was the last time you had your E46 M3 Serviced??? you can get them cheaper but if its all about price we would all be driving round in Dacias wouldn't we

You can get high mileage ones granted but it will probably have had a tough life

I taxed mine today and it was £230 for 12 months...granted insurance is a tad higher than most cars but its a performance car

Last edited by DanCossie; 13-06-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 13-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sticky.
Jake, charge cooler pumps are £5 to replace, it's only the brushes. Mine was fooled and works perfect now. Saves the big payout for a full unit.
I'll bare it in mind - but mine was done before I got it, h'apparently.
Old 13-06-2013, 06:41 PM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DanCossie
A main stealer is more than £800 Mike.!.When was the last time you had your E46 M3 Serviced??? you can get them cheaper but if its all about price we would all be driving round in Dacias wouldn't we

You can get high mileage ones granted but it will probably have had a tough life

I taxed mine today and it was £230 for 12 months...granted insurance is a tad higher than most cars but its a performance car
I dont own an M3, going down the M5 route instead if the one I look at on Sunday is decent. When I was looking at an E46, I spoke to my local indy and thats what I was quote. £800 at BMW doesnt surprise me mind, though a M Value service on the E39 M5 is only £199.

I agree that some of the cheaper E46's are going to be rough / high in the miles, but not all are. I know of one (SMG :\) for £7500 with FSH and 95k miles on a 2002. still less than 10k a year.
Old 13-06-2013, 06:44 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Are you serious?
Old 13-06-2013, 10:26 PM
IanC

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Shings
I'll bare it in mind - but mine was done before I got it, h'apparently.
Only takes 5 mins to fix too and about an hour to get the air out lol plus the frs is cheep to tune standard to 360 for less than a grand
Old 14-06-2013, 07:06 AM
uruk hai

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shings
Remember it's just a Mk1 Focus with a few bling bits added to it so don't expect anything else
As far as I know the RS shares only 30% of its parts with other MK1 Focus' but I wouldn't let that put me off, cracking cars !

Good luck if you get one.
Old 14-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

Originally Posted by opposite lock
Im sure the car in the first link is one Ive detailed recently . If so the bonnet and front bumper could do with respraying and there are some dent marks in the n/s rear quarter plus the paint isnt good on that panel either and the wheels needed a refurb but not terrible .
Looks like it still needs the Focus badge replacing too.

If you go for it knock him down from that price they paid a good bit less for it .

You could well be right fella, is heavy peppered on bonnet,bumper, few scuffs on wheels, didnt see any obvious dents though...

SO i went an had a quick blast in it, OMFG im love

Seems to pull very well, no obvious faults as yet, although if the deal can be done im gonna be fine toothing her 1st.
Things i wernt to happy on were the key is worn heavy, no obvious signs of the spares yet...not mats or wallet, again as of yet and fuck me they tramline

Its what it is, a 10 owner RS, number 508 iirc so is an early one, but i can see potential in it, only got hrs rent though so that need sorting...

Gotta say though it felt very solid, drivers seatbelts a bit slack though

Its a rough an ready RS, so im armed fully with a hit list(MASSIVE thanks to all who've pointed me to advice )..and if the plan can happen i'll get on it pronto.
So Roll on the weekend, fingers crossed...................................
Old 14-06-2013, 12:03 PM
stevos

If you were to get a personal loan instead of finance mate there are really nice ones out there. I paid 7500 for mine with 45k on it in November. I have painted the front end though as mine was stone chiped all over
Old 14-06-2013, 12:05 PM
maxest
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you were to get a personal loan instead of finance mate there are really nice ones out there. I paid 7500 for mine with 45k on it in November. I have painted the front end though as mine was stone chiped all over
Already said that above,, the car sounds over priced for how youve descibed it... I would deffo be looking at others and not buying the first youve seen
Old 14-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

Mate ive tried, sadly as i dont have credit atall, thats a negative for a loan

..Finance is the only way if even possible..its 50/50.

Although im hoping that if the finance can be done even if the car aint up to scratch, i might find another one..again its all down to who will lend what if at all aint it

its got 74k an in fairness feels very tight, just abit rough round the edge's, if they wont budge, then hmmm i may loose out on the dream.
Old 14-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

Originally Posted by maxest
Already said that above,, the car sounds over priced for how youve descibed it... I would deffo be looking at others and not buying the first youve seen

as above mate, ive looked at a couple but thats 1st FRS ive actually pedal'd..
I aint soppy enough to jump in, learnt that once and that was enough for me
Old 14-06-2013, 12:37 PM
HarryRS
Regular Contributor

Check my one out its a minter :P
Old 14-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

Originally Posted by HarryRS
Check my one out its a minter :P

You give me finance on it?

if so im on my way
Old 14-06-2013, 02:16 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by Fraggle...
Mate ive tried, sadly as i dont have credit atall, thats a negative for a loan

..Finance is the only way if even possible..its 50/50.

Although im hoping that if the finance can be done even if the car aint up to scratch, i might find another one..again its all down to who will lend what if at all aint it

its got 74k an in fairness feels very tight, just abit rough round the edge's, if they wont budge, then hmmm i may loose out on the dream.
Why are you being a tyre kicker if you have no intention of buying one from a private seller??? surely if you cant get personal finance you will have to buy a car through a dealer that offers finance deals????
Old 14-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

Why are you being a tyre kicker if you have no intention of buying one from a private seller??? surely if you cant get personal finance you will have to buy a car through a dealer that offers finance deals????

Guessing you need a coffee mate?

Sorry where have i said ive tyre kicked at a private sellers?

And the term Tyre kicking??
Id call viewing a car THOUROUGHLY on a DEALERS forecourt, esp a RS a good idea, so thats a problem how?

Never mind i'll just borrow 7k, hand it over and jog on blind then shall i whilst wondering why i need another 1k to buy its original mats and all the other things it should have, all the very things i would want as thats what makes it a "bit" more special imop

But...fuck it i'll see if they have a diesel version for 12k

ive looked at one or two on the street and at shows,and when ive seen one parked up i'll wonder over for a drool, looked at one MANY moons ago on a forecourt but again was just a mooch...never driven one till tuther day

And yes IF i had a PERSONAL loan then i would view private cars, but im not looking for a loan, nor could i get one id be happy with for the cash id want...
hence FINANCE ON A FORECOURT car and hence FORECOURTS are where ive started looking..

Sure finance was one of the questions im sure i asked about above iirc
Old 14-06-2013, 04:07 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Guessing you need a coffee mate?

Sorry where have i said ive tyre kicked at a private sellers?

And the term Tyre kicking??
Id call viewing a car THOUROUGHLY on a DEALERS forecourt, esp a RS a good idea, so thats a problem how?

Never mind i'll just borrow 7k, hand it over and jog on blind then shall i whilst wondering why i need another 1k to buy its original mats and all the other things it should have, all the very things i would want as thats what makes it a "bit" more special imop

But...fuck it i'll see if they have a diesel version for 12k

ive looked at one or two on the street and at shows,and when ive seen one parked up i'll wonder over for a drool, looked at one MANY moons ago on a forecourt but again was just a mooch...never driven one till tuther day

And yes IF i had a PERSONAL loan then i would view private cars, but im not looking for a loan, nor could i get one id be happy with for the cash id want...
hence FINANCE ON A FORECOURT car and hence FORECOURTS are where ive started looking..

Sure finance was one of the questions im sure i asked about above iirc
It has been a long day granted but maybe I read it wrong I thought you took someones out who was selling it and as you say 'peddeld' it

When I mean tyre kicker I mean someone who looks but doesn't actually intend to buy due to lack of funds/no real interest etc... not saying you don't have interest as you clearly do btw
Old 14-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

It has been a long day granted but maybe I read it wrong I thought you took someones out who was selling it and as you say 'peddeld' it

When I mean tyre kicker I mean someone who looks but doesn't actually intend to buy due to lack of funds/no real interest etc... not saying you don't have interest as you clearly do btw

You did

and yes Apologies as always for me spellinz chaps

I meant "Pedal'd"() as in driven, NOT spanked it like a cunt.

end of day it aint my car regardless if dealer or not, besides at 4k i started leaking, 6k id have soiled it.

But yeah ive got the intrest for one, been lusting since TG showed one... And MAYBE the funds too.......
but chickens an counting an all that is my mantra, hey its a dream, and YUP im looking to use finance, but i earn, work hard, and i know that you borrow you pay back, and i know i can for as long as im lucky to be employed, and could pay off if not, im lucky.

Finance aint ideal BUT for some reason i cant borrow bank debt as i aint got none, and thats a negative nowadays so atleast the banking morals are coming back slightly, if not slightly double standarded..but its understandable as well...just

Oh and im 30 ( ) tomorrow so to own one however or wherever its from is my dream and the milestone goal, hope you can empathise with that

Oh i Wish we could just be friends Mr DC, you make me use so many icon's when you come picking me up in threads

Last edited by Fraggle...; 14-06-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 14-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Fullflush

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

If you could save a bit longer and put 50% you would be in a better position
Old 14-06-2013, 05:46 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

didnt see any obvious dents though...

Seems to pull very well, no obvious faults as yet, although if the deal can be done im gonna be fine toothing her 1st.

Its what it is, a 10 owner RS, number 508 iirc so is an early one, but i can see potential in it, only got hrs rent though so that need sorting...

The 2 dents are there if you look for them and you will notice unsatisfactory paint finish but its subtle .
The paint has been polished thoroughly and transformed its appearance .

I glazed it then addded 1 coat of Zaino sealant and my partner layered 3 coats of Megs wax for awsome water repellancy.

Good luck with it dont forget to barter the final price.

Last edited by opposite lock; 14-06-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 14-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

Originally Posted by Fullflush
If you could save a bit longer and put 50% you would be in a better position

Appreciate that flush, its deffo still an option im contemplating..

Originally Posted by opposite lock
The 2 dents are there if you look for them and you will notice unsatisfactory paint finish but its subtle .
The paint has been polished thoroughly and transformed its appearance .

I glazed it then addded 1 coat of Zaino sealant and my partner layered 3 coats of Megs wax for awsome water repellancy.

Good luck with it dont forget to barter the final price.

Really really do appreciate the heads up fella

TBH if i could get it at 5.5k, FULL tank of juice, 12mths rent, clean'd, hpi and "cat register clear" for 150pcm id be chuffed, id forgive the finickty/missing bits as long as its HPI clear, no cat recordings and is SAFE and solid, end of day my nippers will be in it, so safe is paramount hence i went looking as a FRST just dont cut it no-more..

Oh well let the waiting begin..