Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

Engine Management Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:28 PM
HSimpson
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Management Light

I have a automatic ford Focus Y registration. The engine managment light comes on but the garage are saying no code is showing.

They have change my Mass Airflow Module (sensor) but the light is still on.

The car is running a little rough and starting can be difficult with a petrol odour sometime appearing.

Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks
Old 10-08-2010, 06:30 AM
TomEbbs
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it somewhere elce with a reputable code reader. If the management light is on there is 100% an issue and it will have a code.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:26 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

It could be the NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficent) AKA CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor) on these this is located between two of the plugs, this provides the ECU with the temperature of the cylinder head metal itself on these and hence the temp of engine, it also provides info for the temperature gauge and the fans.

If it is difficult to start it could be telling the ECU a colder temp than it actually is if it has gone out of range, and so it adds more fuel so you have to rich a mixture hence the smell.

Martin
Old 10-08-2010, 08:57 PM
HSimpson
Virgin

Thanks Martin and Tom
I'm giving the mechanic one more chance to fix the car and then I will have to take it somewhere else. I will give them your advice Martin, hopefully they will be able to test the NTC.

I will let you know what happens.
Old 13-08-2010, 11:03 PM
HSimpson
Virgin

Hi everyone

I have just had my car back from the mechanic, still not able to get an engine management id code to identify the problem. They checked the oil level which was low and the Rear Lambda sensor switching appeared to have a coating of oil. Mechanic said the engine was burning oil which coats the sensor element and contaminates the catalitic converter to give a false reading. He felt that it might be buring oil very fast and that the engine would need to be cleaned up by Engine Cylinder Boring, I think that is what he said, anyway it is very expensive and it might be better to replace engine with a recondition one costing around £1,800.

Does this sound right? Should I just scrap the car and buy a new one? My car has only done 54k.

Thanks

Last edited by HSimpson; 14-08-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 14-08-2010, 08:34 AM
focusbob2
Virgin

Default I had a similiar problem

Hi all,
I bought a 1999 1.6 silver top with 69k on the clock through the trade. Driving home she felt a little sluggish so perhaps a service was due.
She was burning so much oil that I had to strip the engine and investigate. The bores were excellent and she had good compressions, but the oil rings were completely gummed up hence the oil consumption.Maybe the incorrect oil had ben used. I fitted new rings and valve stem seals and 4000 miles later the oil level hasnt moved. My wife loved the car and now runs her. The garage should be able to diagnose correctly. I agree with martysmartie, burning that much oil can clog the co sensor and the cat . I guess it was easier for me as I am ok with the spanners, your choice will be to pay someone you trust to strip and hopefully repair, or pay for a new lump. The value of the vehicle will determine that answer.
Good luck.
Focus bob2
Old 14-08-2010, 05:09 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No certainly not with that millage unless it's lead a very hard life, the Zetec engines are good for big miles, 54K is nothing.

Do you know what oil is in the car? The grade you need is 5/30 NOTHING else which also answers the other post, some numptys use the wrong grade and it causes no end of problems with these engine with sticking valves etc.

If in doubt I will do a oil flush and change.

Martin
Old 17-08-2010, 08:45 PM
HSimpson
Virgin

Default Engine Management Light

Hi everyone

Thanks for all the advIce. I thought I would give you an update, I am taking the car to a ford dealer tomorrow so they can put it on their machine and give me their opinion.

I am hoping for good news, do not really want to get a new car
Old 19-08-2010, 09:04 PM
HSimpson
Virgin

Smile Engine Management Light

Dear all just to give you an update - Ford Dealer has sorted my car out

They were able to find code P10172 - carried out a injector leak off test and found injector number two leaking.

replaced injector, spark plugs, reset Kam, replace oil (5x30), and filter and all, touch wood, is running fine.

Again thanks for all your help guys.
Old 21-08-2010, 08:29 PM
mad4fords

By any chance did the car cut on on you at all? ive got a 2.0 zetec manual, and its cuts out now and again.. took it to garage and the computer came up with a fueling problem. Ive noticed engine management light flicker a couple of times... just wondered if could be similar problem. cheers
Old 21-08-2010, 09:01 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Glad it's sorted, just goes to show what a second opinion can do and what cowboys are out there, if the first mechanic had his way he would of had you have a replacement engine!

Martin
Old 22-08-2010, 09:09 AM
HSimpson
Virgin

Originally Posted by mad4fords
By any chance did the car cut on on you at all? ive got a 2.0 zetec manual, and its cuts out now and again.. took it to garage and the computer came up with a fueling problem. Ive noticed engine management light flicker a couple of times... just wondered if could be similar problem. cheers
Hi Mad4ford

I am not an expert on cars so I can only share my experience with you. The engine management light was on constantly. The car was sometimes hard to start up and there would be a strong smell of fuel, which burnt off after a few minutes of driving.

I did have one experience of the car cutting out but that was after the first mechanics had been working on my car so am not sure if they caused the problem.

The Ford dealer did say that is was an unusual problem but it so happened he did have another like this a couple of weeks ago. He also changed the spark plugs and I think the reason for this was the one that worked with the faulty injector was contaminated with a lot of oil.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Last edited by HSimpson; 22-08-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 22-08-2010, 11:45 AM
mad4fords

It's ok. I don't think it's same problem i've been having but i'll keep asking around. cheers