Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

A big hello from a newbie who needs some HELP or advise with his Focus.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Harley_Ford
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A big hello from a newbie who needs some HELP or advise with his Focus.

Hi all, new to the forum but not to Fords. I think I was previously on this site years ago when I had a Fiesta Si ???

Anyway I need some advice on a problem with my Focus. I'll try to put the problem in a nutshell (if thats at all possible?)

OK car is a 52 plate 1.8 TDCi that I purchased about 2 months ago, I gave the car to a mechanic for a major service about 6 weeks ago, this included the cambelt/auxillery belt etc, new Bosch starter, Battery, filters etc etc.

The car was running absolutely fantastic until a couple of weeks ago when I went to visit my mum. I was there for around an hour, I came out turned the key and the starter wouldn't engage? I called the mechanic that did the work, he came out gave me a tow start and the car fired no problem, we agreed for me to drop the car over to him the following day.

Following day arrived and I tried to bump the car again with no luck? So the mechanic came over to replace the starter as it was under warranty. He phoned me to tell me he sorted out the starter but the car would not rev above 1500rpm?

He plugged in his laptop which had a Bosch programme but for some reason no link could be established? This also happened with 2 other OBD II units? I told him that I did the dash test (hold down the trip button etc) and no DTC codes where present, and the only P code (if that's what it may have been?) that appeared was at the end of the test cycle and that showed P103?

He said that there is no such code and that it would either be PO103 or PU103?? so if it was the case of either of these then allegedly it pointed to the MAF or the accelerator pedal?

I got hold of a MAF unit (same serial number etc) today and the car still woud not rev over 1500 rpm? This is where I hope you guys can help? So a quick note of symptoms....

car fires first turn of the key and idles beautifully
car will not rev above 1500rpm, if you try it stutters and stalls
car has had major service 6 weeks ago, last November was fitted with new DMF and clutch
NO DTC are displayed
The glow plug light now flashes (been told this is a sig of a fault?)
I have tried another MAF but this has not cured the problem
No rattles bangs or untoward noises
You can pull off and reverse with no problem as long as you don't rev above 1500rpm
The exhaust looks new and is not blocked and exhaust gases flow freely

so HELP!!! please guys.

ps... have tried a car mechanics forum but no joy

Last edited by Harley_Ford; 06-07-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:04 PM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be the cam position sensor ?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:49 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

The DTC codes do not show codes up nothing like a fault reader can.

P103 relates to a MAF sensor, these get clogged up and need cleaning, although be careful when do so as they are delicate and are made up of thin wires, check the wiring connector while here and make sure it hasen't been "Knocked"

I do not see why the starter and battery were replaced if there was nothing wrong with them as these are not servicable items other than checking the electrolyte in the battery, checking connections for corrosion etc?

Martin
Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Harley_Ford
Virgin

Originally Posted by martysmartie
The DTC codes do not show codes up nothing like a fault reader can.

P103 relates to a MAF sensor, these get clogged up and need cleaning, although be careful when do so as they are delicate and are made up of thin wires, check the wiring connector while here and make sure it hasen't been "Knocked"

I do not see why the starter and battery were replaced if there was nothing wrong with them as these are not servicable items other than checking the electrolyte in the battery, checking connections for corrosion etc?

Martin

Hi Martin,

I bought the car cheap knowing that it needed a lot of work (mainly TLC) the woman I bought the car from had it for 3 years and only ahd work done to the car when something broke, and she never kept on top of the car, hence I saw a diamond in the rough, and for the money I paid it was a good result - and as a matter of course I changed the battery - the starter needed changing as it gave up the ghost within 2 days of ownership turned out after a chat with the previous mechanic that the thermostat housing leaked onto the starter and fried it, the thermostat housing was replaced once I had the car and a new starter fitted.

I have cleaned the MAF, and that didn't work hence getting another - this still has not cure the problem.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:05 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Normally when the starter motor fails its signs that the dual mass flywheel is on its way out as it starts to break up and it jams the starter. I see you say you've since replaced the DMF so that could be why the starter was knackered.

Take it to Ford and get them to plug it into their diagnostic machine, they can do live readings so they test the output of each sensor while the car is running.

An hours labour at Ford will be cheaper than changing bits willy nilly and having a few weeks of head scratching.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Harley_Ford
Virgin

Originally Posted by Rich170
Normally when the starter motor fails its signs that the dual mass flywheel is on its way out as it starts to break up and it jams the starter. I see you say you've since replaced the DMF so that could be why the starter was knackered.

Take it to Ford and get them to plug it into their diagnostic machine, they can do live readings so they test the output of each sensor while the car is running.

An hours labour at Ford will be cheaper than changing bits willy nilly and having a few weeks of head scratching.
Totally agree - I have my car booked in tomorrow for a diagnostics reading. Fingers crossed I can limp the couple of miles using the 1500 rpm the car allows
Old 07-07-2010, 12:03 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Thats good then, let us know what the outcome is!
Old 07-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Harley_Ford
Virgin

Originally Posted by Rich170
Thats good then, let us know what the outcome is!
no worries Rich, will do, its been eating away at me so I'll be relieved to find out once and for all