Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

Help on adding a little more power

Search this Thread

Old 26-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Darrenraymond
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on adding a little more power

Just wondering what the best way of going about adding a little more power to my 1.8tdi without spending crazy money.

Where should i start and what makes the difference.

Thanks
Old 26-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Darrenraymond

Been doing a little reding up and come across an induction kit from k&n (57i to be exact)....Around £80ish
Old 27-05-2010, 12:56 AM
TomStarkey
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Darrenraymond
Been doing a little reding up and come across an induction kit from k&n (57i to be exact)....Around £80ish
I'm afraid you may have just started the "cone or panel" filter argument there lol

Do you have a mk1 or mk2?

Personally I think cone and panel filters are equally good at giving you a little extra. you can also get an extra 20-30bhp if you get it chipped, but thats more in the £300-400 range.
Old 27-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Darrenraymond

Funny enough when i mentioned it to one of the mechaics at work today he said the ame thing. He said not to bother going for the induction kit, instead go for a k&n panel filter....

Down the line i might indeed get it chipped to add a bit more noticable power like you quoted.

From what i see the panel filter is around £40 or there about. Might give that a crack. Any call to change the air pipe?

Any other hints or tips for me????
Old 27-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Darrenraymond

Sorry, forgot to say that its in an mk2...
Old 27-05-2010, 10:16 AM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

i tried the K&N panel filter in my 1.8TD mondeo and it made no difference at all, apart from it made the MPG worse.

most mechanics i have ever spoke to advise against induction kits, but dont listen to them!

i then got the K&N 57i kit and i could feel a difference to power, but then realised i had spent £110 on a tiny cone filter, piece of bracket and a crappy air scoop to screw underneath.

so i sold it and fitted a decent sized cone filter, heat shield and made my own cold air feeds - and then it worked very well indeed.

forced induction engines prefer open air filters IMO, but do need plenty of cold air feeds (ideally relocate the battery for more space and breathing).

other stuff to do which works well on TD's is decat, bigger intercooler, and chip/tuning box/remap
Old 27-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Darrenraymond

Originally Posted by percybigun
i tried the K&N panel filter in my 1.8TD mondeo and it made no difference at all, apart from it made the MPG worse.

most mechanics i have ever spoke to advise against induction kits, but dont listen to them!

i then got the K&N 57i kit and i could feel a difference to power, but then realised i had spent £110 on a tiny cone filter, piece of bracket and a crappy air scoop to screw underneath.

so i sold it and fitted a decent sized cone filter, heat shield and made my own cold air feeds - and then it worked very well indeed.

forced induction engines prefer open air filters IMO, but do need plenty of cold air feeds (ideally relocate the battery for more space and breathing).

other stuff to do which works well on TD's is decat, bigger intercooler, and chip/tuning box/remap
The only difference i see from a single panel filter and the inudction kit is the hose and some brackets. Your saying this makes a little difference.

Of course im not after a major difference, one mechanic did mention remapping the car for about £200 which should gain more in the region of 50bhp..

Will the filter, or induction make a little difference in regards to engine note too?? A little more oomph