Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

Ford Focus (europe) 2.0i ESP (2000) TCS light after brake/disk replacement

Search this Thread

Old 21-10-2009, 10:52 PM
planetf1
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Focus (europe) 2.0i ESP (2000) TCS light after brake/disk replacement

I have a yr 2000 european focus 2.0 i ESP.

Last week it went into the main dealer for it's 9th service, and I had the front brakes/pads replaced.

As soon as I collected the car, I noticed the TCS warning light was on. The dealer did a quick check, reset (I think) and I headed off. Then in 2 8 mile journeys the TCS light came on both times.

I returned to the dealer, they took the car in to check wheel/brake sensors and came back telling me it was the lateral sensor, that it was nothing to do with the work they'd done, and that it was a ~ £450 replacement.

I do have a generic OBD scanner, but it doesn't appear to show anything relating to TCS

Any thoughts
- how likely is it the brake/disk replacement could have introduced this error
- suggestions on what to do next
Old 22-10-2009, 01:46 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

A fault code reader won't pick this fault up as it only reads the engine ECU.

450 big ones for a new sensor though

I would take it to a different dealer or even an auto electrician for a second opinion, quite likely they damaged a wheel sensor when doing the discs/pads and are trying to squeeze a fair few quid from you.
Old 22-10-2009, 02:03 PM
planetf1
Virgin

I'm trying to figure out
a) possible causes of the ESP light coming on
b) Whether it's possible to retrieve more info from the system as to exact error
c) the likelihood that the error relates to the work done
d) whether the part can be replaced myself (it looks physically/electrically simple, but not clear if any calibration/diagnostics programming is required)
Old 22-10-2009, 02:05 PM
planetf1
Virgin

I'm trying to figure out
a) possible causes of the ESP light coming on
b) Whether it's possible to retrieve more info from the system as to exact error
c) the likelihood that the error relates to the work done
d) whether the part can be replaced myself (it looks physically/electrically simple, but not clear if any calibration/diagnostics programming is required)

I too am concerned about the wheel speed sensors. I'm interested in whether a fault in one of those (which is physically close to the working area) might cause this issue.

Initially I thought yes, but then noticed there's no ABS warning lights -- wouldn't that system have issues if a wheel sensor wasn't working
Old 22-10-2009, 04:42 PM
woolford
Advanced PassionFord User

my tcs light and sensor light are both on after i changed my bearings its been yurned off 3 times and come back on each time
Old 24-10-2009, 08:47 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is interesting, I'll have a dig into these systems with some peeps I know for you.
tabetha
Old 26-10-2009, 01:22 PM
woolford

thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 12:21 AM
planetf1
Virgin

Originally Posted by tabetha
This is interesting, I'll have a dig into these systems with some peeps I know for you.
tabetha
Did you manage to find out anything?
Old 09-11-2009, 05:13 AM
Delta-Force
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

hi ive got a 03 st170 my abs and traction light was on after loads of checking i found when the new disks were fitted they didnt clip the sensor wire back onto the shocker and it rubbed on the inside of the wheel and split the sensor wire i removed it and solderd it back together cleared the codes and abs and traction light are off and there both working fine now . might be worth removeing the wheel on the side it was changed and checking the sensor just incase hope this helps cheers mark
Old 09-11-2009, 12:31 PM
woolford

i will be looking at this.. could putting a wheel bearing in the wrong way round be to blame???
Old 26-11-2009, 10:03 AM
planetf1
Virgin

I had the car back in to another dealer (albeit in same "group") at head office's recommendation and spoke directly with the (seemingly very knowledgeable) tech (best they have).

We went for a test drive and brief exam and I have
C1282 - Lateral Accelerator Circuit Failure
C1282 - Lateral Accelerometer Signal Fault

Taking car back monday for panels to be removed/wiring to be checked -- apparently there's quite a few connectors that may be dodgy that could cause these failures before a sensor is replaced
Old 26-11-2009, 10:03 AM
planetf1
Virgin

deleted. duplicate post.
Old 16-09-2011, 10:36 AM
wraith1966

Default ESP light on

hello ford fans
ok i know this post is old But i have a very much same problem, i have a 18tdi 2008 focus
but also own much powered fords "not road use ones"

anyway my trouble start this morning after going up a hill as i was going around a corner on the hill the ESP light came on as normal but this time it did not go off, "road condition was dry,the car as about 36,000 miles on the clock i have had it for new.
a few miles down the road the engine management light as came on...after the car as been restarted all lights stay on engine light and esp..i know i have to take it to the garage to see what codes are what, which it is going in today, but my ? is would the esp fault light make the
engine light come ?

p.s
at the same time i noticed a bit lack of power, when esp light came on...posted this in the wrong page ! not a RS way from it sorry, but same ish problem

Last edited by wraith1966; 16-09-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 16-09-2011, 11:24 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

I know on the ST when the air flow meter fails it will cause an ESP error too, not sure why though. Could be related?
Old 16-09-2011, 12:06 PM
wraith1966

just had a error report done the engine man-light was 2263 turbo boost thing !
my friend said i should get a clean kit. Turbo Clean Set..i thinks it could have been soot.as the code as gone but problem still there...ringing them now
Old 23-09-2011, 10:07 PM
wraith1966

Default Error code 2263

hello guys
i throught you's would like to know about my problem error code 2263 and the ESP light
after and good word with a very good friend well talked off the record with someone at ford..turns out its a very common problem with the ford range...the fix can be very easy to and very dear job...but the most common was a easy fix the ford man said

Problem error code 2263 "fix" 5 mins ! turns out to be a circlip problem on the linkage for the turbo boost...."well thats was the problem with mine"
and thats what the ford man said it would be first to checkout...then next would to buy and turbo cleaning kit...

the ESP light problem was linked to the linkage problem after fixing the circlip and clearing the codes out of the car this went out and never returned

i really hope this saves someone alot of cash !
also thx to Riche ST about his idea above made me check it out to linked

best wishes

p.s
what made the error code come on..booting the car up a hill and around a bend "note couple of bumps on the inside of the road"the ESP light came on & never went off. half mile later engine/man light came on "fix above"

Last edited by wraith1966; 23-09-2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: missed something off