Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

fuel and temp guages

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:43 AM
hughsie
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel and temp guages

I have an 04 plate st170 and a few months ago the temp guage and fuel guage would go to half way when the engine was switched off when the car was running the guages would work properly,now as the weather has got warmer the guages are both working ok but if the temperature drops they will resort to going to half way when ignition is off,also when you stop the car they will go to zero but if i return to the car sometime later the clocks are at halfway but only if the wheather has gone cooler,i have spoken to a ford mechanic who says it needs a new instrument cluster but then the milage is at zero and can not be altered to the correct milage for the car and i dont really want that. This problem seems to be temperature related,i have cleaned the earths and made sure the engine temp switch is not touching the ht leads.Has anybody experienced this same problem and does the instrument cluster problem affect the st170.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:09 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

The instrument cluster has got a liquid in it to stop needle vibration etc. If the dash clocks are removed (which it sounds like they may have been at some point) and not kept upright the fluid can leak out causing the gauge to throw a wobbly.

Sounds to me like this could have happened. I always thought the mileage was stored in the ecu and not the clocks itself, I could be wrong though...
Old 05-06-2009, 03:54 AM
pdfbt40
PassionFord Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always thought the mileage was stored in the ecu and not the clocks itself, I could be wrong though...
Yes you are....its stored in the cluster.