Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Focus 1.6tdci strange engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 10:01 PM
seandee
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus 1.6tdci strange engine noise

Hi,
I'm looking for a tdci for my missus and saw one that was in great nick but had an odd noise coming from the rear of the engine. It was a rhythmic sound (twice per second) that was either a knock or sound of escaping gas, not loud but noticeable and was most noticeable at tickover, reducing as revs increased. The turbo is mounted on the front of the engine and there was no smoke cloud under load indicating a leaking turbo or intercooler hose. Just wondering if anyone has a clue what it might be cos if its something cheap (and fairly simple) to repair, I'll probably buy the motor.
Cheers
Old 04-07-2013, 10:10 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

injector washers need replacing the sound is compression escaping up the side of the injectors i bet i do 2 or more sets a month!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:11 PM
botters
competant bodger

and yes they are easy to repair, you will need to recut the injector seats in the cylinder head but a seat cutter can be bought for £30 off ebay and washers are pence
Old 05-07-2013, 06:08 PM
seandee
Virgin

Cheers. Are the injectors a hassle to get out? Also saw a 1.6 petrol that had a brief sucking sound when throttle is depressed from tickover, never heard that before either, any ideas?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:15 PM
botters
competant bodger

not sure on the petrol one, the diesel is a relativley simple repair you just need to be carefull when cutting the seats that you dont get any swarf from the head in the bore. what i do is use the cutter which pushes the swarf to the outside of the injector seat. then using a bit of threaded bar ground down to the same size as the injector nozzle, poke that in the hole and use compressed air to blow the swarf out
the hardest part is refitting the inlet manifold it can be a real bitch to push it back into the inlet runners level! there is two 10mm bolts down the back of the engine holding the manifold on which are the ones difficult to line back up when re fitting the manifold
Old 07-07-2013, 07:02 PM
seandee
Virgin

Cheers for the advice. I'm going to make a decision one way or the other this week. If I buy the diesel I'll let you know how I get on with the job.