Ford Classics & Vintage Discuss all other Ford cars here, from the classics to Vintage to the Australian and American Fords!

cossie 2.9 24v into a capri

Search this Thread

Old 23-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Cawood
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cossie 2.9 24v into a capri

what do you reckon to doing this conversion and how much would be involed.

always fancied a capri with a bit of grunt, reckon that would be the prefect transplant

would it just be a case of get some engine mounts made up, drop engine in, and take complete loom out of the scorpio cosworth and get that fudged in with the capri loom?

what model capri would i be best starting with? would it have to be the 2.8i or do most other models share the same parts?

would the gearbox out of th 2.8i match up to the cossie lump?

ta
Old 23-04-2009, 08:58 AM
CombatSapph
Regular Contributor

I wouldn't go with a Scorpio Cosworth as a donor - the PATS and VIS system make it a bit of a mare for transplant purposes. I'd use a Granada Cosworth with the slightly less powerful 195bhp motor for the transplant - would be much simpler.

I don't know much else about the conversion so can't help on the specifics.
Old 23-04-2009, 09:37 PM
stucapri2.9iTT
Part of the Furniture

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it can be done
have a look at this
http://www.capripower.co.uk/board/in...howtopic=10890

stuart
Old 26-04-2009, 07:42 AM
coco16i
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by stucapri2.9iTT
it can be done
have a look at this
http://www.capripower.co.uk/board/in...howtopic=10890

stuart

Thats mine

Quite a popular conversion this, if you plan on doing it go for the BOA engine and loom as the BOB has PATS fitted and is a lot more work to wire in / modify. If its a BOB engine you get make sure to get a BOA wiring loom so you can do away with the PATS.

Using a 2.8i as a donor car makes life a bit easier as you have all the fuel injection parts already fitted, mine was non injection so had to fit a 2.8i fuel tank and pump and fit new fuel lines.

If its a standard non injection model you plan to use then you will need the 2.8i engine crossmember and engine mounts, also the power steering rack unless you plan to modify the crossmember to accept the non assisted rack ( pointless if you ask me ! )

Also need a 2.8i flywheel and clutch and need a spigot bearing fitted to the crank as all the 24v engines were automatic and dont have a bearing fitted.

The 2.8i type 9 box bolts straight on and thats what im using as the MT-75 boxes are way too expensive ! Some say the type 9 wont last due to the torque the 24v puts out but am sure if you have a decent type 9 box from the start and dont thrash the shit out it it should hold up ok.

Radiator choice is either standard 2.8i set up or go for something bigger and better like a sierra radiator, ditch the viscous fan and fit an electric fan set up, twin cam sierra's are a popular choice for this.

Most daunting part of doing a conversion like this is the wiring loom, i stripped mine right back and labelled each wire that was needed and cut out all the extra shite that does not get used, loom ends up about half the size it starts out to be ! Easy enough to do if you just take your time and mark every wire.

Good luck if you deceide to go ahead with this transplant.
Old 26-04-2009, 04:04 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a xr4i with the std type 9 but rebuilt, with 190lbft, didn't complain in over 10,000 miles, and I did used to rag it all the time.
tabetha
Old 02-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Cawood
PassionFord Post Whore!!

nice one thanks lads, n cheers for all the info coco

looks like its quite do-able on a budget then,

shame cant use the scorpio as they're cheaper n easier to get hold off.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:16 AM
4parajon
Regular Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Think most of the conversion parts for this are now offered "off the shelf" by caprisport...just google the name if your interested.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:30 PM
coco16i
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Cawood
nice one thanks lads, n cheers for all the info coco

looks like its quite do-able on a budget then,

shame cant use the scorpio as they're cheaper n easier to get hold off.

Its do-able on a budget if your not in a hurry and can find the parts required at the right price !

Mine is being done on a very limited budget and am in no real hurry to get it on the road so can afford to wait around searching for the parts i need to come up at the right price !

Would hope to have mine on the road later on this year and all in will probably be costing me less than £1500, that includes buying the two cars ( capri and a granada cossie ) and carrying out the resto on the capri, brand new set of 7 x 13 Superlites as well and all the 2.8i parts i have had to buy to do the conversion.

Sounds like a lot but i've managed to spread that figure out over about 18 months or so from when i first bought the capri and have bought all the other parts as and when i had some spare cash !

£1500 for 200 bhp of rwd oldskool fun is a bargain if you ask me
Old 04-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Saaamon
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Theres a couple of guys on the sierra forums that wire 24v's up for £150 all in. You jsut need to provide a loom and they will mod it to fit. I know you have a capri not a sierra but mite be worth asking them whether they'll do it for you. Powered by ford & sierra owners club are the forums you'll find them on.