Ford Classics & Vintage Discuss all other Ford cars here, from the classics to Vintage to the Australian and American Fords!

X-Flow updates

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 06:48 AM
uffebiker
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Flow updates

Hi all!

I just become a member in this forum, it seems to be a lot of activities and lot of usefull information.

I have a Morgan 1974 with a 1600 X-flow GT engine. I would like to get some ideas where to start to get more power into the car. Since it is a classic car, I do not want to do major modifications, i.e. to rebuild it to fit other engines.

If anyone have ideas what to do, I would be greatful.

///ulf
Old 12-07-2007, 05:14 AM
uffebiker
Virgin

Hi all!

What I wanted was to get a start where to look, i.e. should I either
- go on tuning the current engine, what kind of modifications?
- try get hold of another one and in that case what fits best with less modifications in the car.

I do understand that the info is already available in the forum, but where to start??

///Ulf
Old 24-07-2007, 03:58 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You would be best asking "how much power do I want" ?
The x flow is an absolutely excellent engine for tuning, a bit old in design but can and does produce the power when modded.
As yours is a 1600GT engine it will be MK1 mexico spec cam wise, ie 84 bhp so is a good start, it is a very good tractable cam and what I used to run in my tuned auto's.
Headwork is extrememly efective on these engines, then a 32/36 webber carburettor, fits straight onto your manifold as you should have a twin choke on there anyway.
Fit a decent K&N air filter(element) in the air box, decent exhaust as well.
Next with the dizzy the advance retard curve can be altered by trial and error, by pegging back the advance stops inside the dizzy so it runs MUCH more advance low down(with ported head), but no more in total.
From memory I used to get around 115 bhp, with this, although mine was auto it would leave for dead a 2.0 pinto injection manual, as it did my friends of the time!!
Of course you can go a lot wilder with twin 40/45's, and a much better(electronic) ignition system, or even to different engine in the long run such as pinto, the x low is a compact engine but someof the jap stuff is smaller and a lot more powerful.
tabetha
Old 28-07-2007, 07:04 AM
uffebiker
Virgin

Thank You Tabetha,

Since it is installed in a Morgan, it is equipted with a 32/36 carb, have decent exhaust and a K&N filter installed. Morgan states 97 BHP originally.

What I think I will do is to overhaul the head, fit a new cam (KENT?) fit a new oil pump and that is basically it.

Another project would be to ask the initially question You stated, i.e. how much power do I want and really, a 1974 Morgan does not nead that much power.

///Ulf