Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

gym and aching

Search this Thread

Old 18-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts
Default gym and aching

Should you be aching for a few days everytime you have been to the gym.Ive been busy the past few weeks so i havent really had much time to go to the gym.When i went last weekend the first time in 2 weeks.I did a full work out.back chest arms and legs.

The next day i was aching like hell.I havent had time again this week to go to the gym.I only had time on thursday so again i did a full work out.I woke up on friday and only my triceps were working.

I just wana know that should i be aching everytime after i have been to the gym?
Old 18-12-2010, 07:48 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, yes, if your not cooling down mate.

When I was working out (can't afford a Gym membership anymore ) I would then go and swim for 20min as a cool down and then sit in the spa and relax for 20 min. That usually stopped my aching.
Old 18-12-2010, 08:41 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

id love to be aching the next day after every workout.its what should be happening.your breaking down the muscles to repair them bigger.
Old 19-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by stevenebm
id love to be aching the next day after every workout.its what should be happening.your breaking down the muscles to repair them bigger.
Well thats what i thought cause like you say you r ripping the muscles then they are repairing.Thats the ache/pain im getting.So if im not aching everytime what am i doing wrong.

The first time i was aching all over i was on my own and the second time ahen only my triceps were aching i was with my mate.I was doing a set then he was doing the same one after me.Im just thinking was i not aching as much cause i was spending to much time resting/waiting for him?
Old 19-12-2010, 12:25 PM
tigra turbo
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

If u going on and off,thats what is gonna happen if u were consistent in working out,pain would have been way less + after a 2 week break,u just cant go do the same workout as far as load/sets.need to gradually go heavy/sets/reps,always stretch between sets,and at the end,never at the start of the workout if havent warmed up before.
Old 19-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If you take in more nutrients then the pain should/will be a bit less.

Although stopping for 2 weeks then going back is always going to be sore, muscles that havent been stressed for a while will be hurting.

I fuckin love the pain though. I almost miss hurting like hell everyday, rarely do i get bad DOMS now, only after chest and leg days usually.
Old 19-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

So its normal not to ache after a session at the gym then and the muscles will still grow.

After my 2 weeks off the days i have been i was lifting lighter weights then i normaly do just to try and get back into it.

Another question...How many different exercises do you do for you diffeent muscles.
When im doing my biceps triceps chest legs and abs i normaly do about 4 to 5 different exercises.Is this to much?I normaly do a different part of my body on different days.
Old 19-12-2010, 05:11 PM
tigra turbo

To grow u need basic heavy ex to build up mass,and less cable ex, then u can deffine with proper food and cardio,also need the correct amount of protein per ur weight,for muscle recovery.for legs and back 4 to 5 ex,chest arms shoulders 3 to 4 max,more is not always good,dont forget the form plays a big roll,there are so many technics out there.depends ur needs.
Old 19-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Ive heard less is more.So what exercises do people do in the gym and how long soes it take them.Ive heard people only spend 45mins to 1 hour in the gym so what do people do n that time.
Old 19-12-2010, 07:44 PM
tigra turbo

Just tell me how much time u got and how many days u can be there
Old 20-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

It all depends on what shift im at work.If im on 10am till 6pm i get to the gym for 7am in the morning and normaly spend about 1 hour and 30 mins in the gym.I normaly do 30 mins on a tread mill.

On my 6am till 2pm shift i go straight after work and normaly spend the same time in the gym (1 hour and 30 mins)
Old 20-12-2010, 08:05 PM
tigra turbo

So how many days can u workout a week?
Old 21-12-2010, 10:18 AM
James-W
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i train 2* per week now, i train like this because i train v high intensity and its too hard for me to recover, i spend around 30 mins in the gym.
Old 21-12-2010, 02:06 PM
tigra turbo

Originally Posted by James-W
i train 2* per week now, i train like this because i train v high intensity and its too hard for me to recover, i spend around 30 mins in the gym.
is that a joke?
Old 21-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done 4x nights a week, around an hour max per session.
Day1 I do biceps and chest
Day2 shoulders and traps
Day3 legs
Day4 triceps and back
Each get 3 exercises so 6 total per night (except legs which get a hammering with 6)
I have a 2minute break between sets which i use to stretch the group used, and do one chest exercise (3sets) then one bicep exercise (3sets) then one chest etc
Get your protein down you within 20 minutes of finishing your lifting, and I found creatine and more water intake through the day helped reduce recovery time.
You have to ache the next day and I've only just realised how important feeling "the pump" during exercise is. I ache more on the 2nd day after though.
Old 21-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by tigra turbo
So how many days can u workout a week?
I normaly do monday to friday and have the weekend off to rest.
Old 21-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I was at the gym this monday gone and ive been aching all today in my arms.Im gonna go to the gym tomorrow and do triceps and chest.
Old 21-12-2010, 08:21 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by James-W
must get a killer workout in 30 minutes twice a week
Old 22-12-2010, 05:49 PM
retro d
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

lol....
Old 22-12-2010, 08:20 PM
tigra turbo

You can actually have WED off if u like,

MON and FRI
CHEST/BACK/BICEPS

TUE and FRI
LEGS/SHOULDERS/TRICEPS
Old 25-12-2010, 02:04 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

That's how some of the pro's train mate, and it is intense. Mike Mentzer and the likes did.

Benni.
Old 25-12-2010, 12:13 PM
RUBY123

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

benni no pro bodybuilder has or will ever train twice a week and be successful
Old 25-12-2010, 02:58 PM
tigra turbo

Natural and "juiced" is a huge gap....twice a week needs loads of it and still is not the right way of doing it.
Old 26-12-2010, 02:54 AM
James-W
PassionFord Post Whore!!

is that a joke?
Originally Posted by retro d
lol....
no it is not a joke so go put your head in the ive got a one minded opinion and i know jack shit about training bucket..

I train in a dc style way but only 2 days a week instead of 3.
1 working set per bodypart, always beat the log book from last week

Monday is, chest, delts, tris, back width and back thickness.
Thursday is, bis, calves, hams, quads
eg chest is bench 2 warmups, then one working set of around6-8 reps, hit failiure, rack the weight, take 15 seconds rest, then hit as many reps to fail as possible usually around 3, then another 15 secs and fail after 1 or so. then i stretch with dbs in the bottom position of a fly movement with 30kg dumbells for 45 seconds-1min (shaking like a leaf at this point)
Old 26-12-2010, 04:42 AM
tigra turbo

Thats not consider as 1 set, what u doing is actually drop sets,but still once a week each body part is not enough.am not trying to play it smart,just want to help out.
muscles need the most three days,so that if u follow or think about it to do the routine above (mon/thu) (tue/fri) u have 2 days in between to recover+the weekend,
also u cant hit every angle in a muscle with just 1 exersise,at least change it every week.how u consider ur progress/per time u doing that?whats your body type?saw any gains?how many years u working out? 70s workout vary from today,also how is ur nutrition? is very important as its rest but not that long sessions/time. am willing to help if u want i can event let u know which exersises u need
Old 28-12-2010, 04:29 AM
tigra turbo

Inputs?
Old 31-12-2010, 12:00 PM
BIG WULL
Fae the Dale

been in pain for days now. first sesh back since november! I'm kinda glad the gym is closed today
Old 31-12-2010, 05:24 PM
James-W
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thats not consider as 1 set, what u doing is actually drop sets,but still once a week each body part is not enough.am not trying to play it smart,just want to help out.
muscles need the most three days,so that if u follow or think about it to do the routine above (mon/thu) (tue/fri) u have 2 days in between to recover+the weekend,
also u cant hit every angle in a muscle with just 1 exersise,at least change it every week.how u consider ur progress/per time u doing that?whats your body type?saw any gains?how many years u working out? 70s workout vary from today,also how is ur nutrition? is very important as its rest but not that long sessions/time. am willing to help if u want i can event let u know which exersises u need
no a dropset is where the weight is dropped without rest, this is rest pause.
and once a week each body part not been enough? could you please enlighten me on some science why you think this is right?
and yes muscular recovery doesnt take long, but lets be honest at a more advanced level, cns recovery amongst other things is my main problem.

Also i change round from decline to flat bench when i feel fit. so you feel you can isolate certain parts of a muscle? like upper or lower chest?

My cns is stressed far too much if i train in this way 3* per week, i become run down and begin to lose muscle/strength. and i started training again exactly a year ago after a long layoff at 12 stone and my 1rm on decline bench was 70, now im 16.8 stone with decent outline of abs/intercoastalsnow my 1rm decline is 160, ill post pics before i cut down abit for next summer.
this is without fantastic diet and no gear, i have pt quals, and am close friends with a few of the countries best personal trainers (imo) who have advised me including rich elliis who is a competitve powerlifter with a raw bench of 250kg and this is pretty much the perfect training program for me.
Old 31-12-2010, 05:39 PM
RUBY123

so your saying in a year you have put on 4 and a half stone
Old 31-12-2010, 08:24 PM
tigra turbo

Ok,so no drop sets here,how much u weight in pounds/lbs your age/body type, and how many u gained,your height,how many years are u workin out? just curius about workin out background/gain
what cns stands for?,
Old 31-12-2010, 10:17 PM
RUBY123

central nervous system
Old 01-01-2011, 03:44 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

4 days a week is best I reckon'. One major and one minor bodypart. Chest/bicep. Legs/calfs, Shoulders tricep and back on it's own. Once a week is a fine, and rest pause is a very good technique.

Benni.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:13 AM
tigra turbo

Depends on goals and needs though,
Old 01-01-2011, 10:32 PM
James-W
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ok,so no drop sets here,how much u weight in pounds/lbs your age/body type, and how many u gained,your height,how many years are u workin out? just curius about workin out background/gain
what cns stands for?,
This is answered in my post mainly, and I'm late 20s mixed bodytypes mainly ecto @ a true 12% at the moment decent visible abs when tensed, cns stands for central nervous system, I suggest in the nicest way possible to read up abit more before offering more advice, high volume works for some not for others, my advice is push pull legs is a good routine for beginners, no point overstressing and getting rundown

And yes 4 1/2 stone in one year could have done more, but I can't be bothered to diet correctly, this time last year I was primed for weight gain, no weight training for ages and hardly eating anything, when I added these body supercompensated and I have put a lot of weight on, not un manageable I bp is fine so is rhr and bloods are all ok
Old 02-01-2011, 05:05 AM
tigra turbo

so its one year total? two that you workout? its normal to gain weight as you eat preaty much enything and as an ecto, and u new to weights,for a start it will give u weight but in the future u will hit a plataue,what am saying is and dont get ofensive,that its ok for a little while to do this routine,body needs variety,and not just *one hit me hard*exersises. and yes ask ur trainers if you can isolate a certain muscle to a bigger percentage of course not just one.there is primaries and secondaries,so with certain movements and angles,yes u can do that,
Old 02-01-2011, 02:39 PM
James-W
PassionFord Post Whore!!

so its one year total? two that you workout? its normal to gain weight as you eat preaty much enything and as an ecto, and u new to weights,for a start it will give u weight but in the future u will hit a plataue,what am saying is and dont get ofensive,that its ok for a little while to do this routine,body needs variety,and not just *one hit me hard*exersises. and yes ask ur trainers if you can isolate a certain muscle to a bigger percentage of course not just one.there is primaries and secondaries,so with certain movements and angles,yes u can do that,
No i boxed when i was younger and was a lean 16 stone at the age of 16
im a qualified personal trainer myself, have studied biomechanics in depth, also spent a long time studying muscle activation/firing, what does primary and secondary muscles have to do with different parts of 1 muscle group firing? nothing, my upper, mid and lower chest all grows fine from flat benching and extreme stretching, if i hit a plateu i will swap my excersizes about, you cannot categorically say 2 days wont be effective, plenty of people train like this, for you to say is this a joke is offensive and shows your immaturity/lack of knowledge.
Matt (named nytol) on a few uk forums is a 225k raw bencher at 100kg bodyweight and trains 2* per week.
Plenty of types of effective training just finding what works for you can be unorthodox.
when the time comes i need to switch my excersizes round youll be the first in mind ill consult
Old 02-01-2011, 06:32 PM
tigra turbo

Personaly am not a fun of powerlifters even if they bench a whole house,(are they natural????) long term they end up with many problems cause due to my immaturity/knowledge am not gonna stand at it,now as a personal trainer if you consinder the amount of sets/reps/weight that u do as very high intesity,you havent truly workout as far as high intensity in weight lifting.dont forget the bodybuilders u mention in the past,they did the routine once a week and the rest was left to the juice to finish the job,as i told u,it will work for a start but not for ever........even if ur a qualified personal trainer you have to workout many years and expirement with alot more,just the book is not enough,and dont swear in one technik,if you havent tried anything else,prop u will in the future,but ask ur powerlifters to do the math
Old 15-01-2011, 02:05 PM
James-W
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Personaly am not a fun of powerlifters even if they bench a whole house,(are they natural????) long term they end up with many problems cause due to my immaturity/knowledge am not gonna stand at it,now as a personal trainer if you consinder the amount of sets/reps/weight that u do as very high intesity,you havent truly workout as far as high intensity in weight lifting.dont forget the bodybuilders u mention in the past,they did the routine once a week and the rest was left to the juice to finish the job,as i told u,it will work for a start but not for ever........even if ur a qualified personal trainer you have to workout many years and expirement with alot more,just the book is not enough,and dont swear in one technik,if you havent tried anything else,prop u will in the future,but ask ur powerlifters to do the math
Cause most powerlifters arent natural, neither are most bbers, hell most guys youll see in gyms arent, its scary to think the amount of people using gear now, people who dont even look like they train running a gram of test a week!

PLEASE for gods sake get half a clue about training! it is very high intensity i do... lots of sets/reps is HIGH VOLUME, you really are stupid and shouldnt be giving advice out on training!

JUICE UPS PROTEIN SYNTHESIS AND GLYCOGEN RETENTION AMOUNG OTHER THINGS!! hench bbers can train higher volume than others.. not lower! you still need to break the muscles down for them to get bigger!

READ WHAT I PUT, I WORKED OUT FOR MANY YEARS BEFORE AND CAME BACK AT THE START OF LAST YEAR
I havent sworn by one technique its just what works best for me.. i didnt reccomend it... loads of people grow fine doing 25 sets on chest and would hate my technique, vica versa i would get run down and over stressed doing 4 days a week and a load of volume. YOu asked me if my technique was a joke.

OPEN YOUR EYES YOU IDIOT!
Old 15-01-2011, 03:47 PM
tigra turbo

Thanks for your good words... OPEN YOUR EYES YOU IDIOT....you can only make me laugh with that ;25 sets its really to much,who said that you have to do the 25sets? if it work 4 u then fine it,wont for long,and just to know,for me 23 years of weight lifting means alot!!!!!!!!!of course that can mean nothing,but in my case it does!
Old 15-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

25 sets is way too much, and not needed at all. If you train intense, and I mean properly intense. Enter the gym, turn your phone off and zone out. Speak to no-one, and get on with it. No ponsing around in between sets, and talking about the football and other shite. I'm growing nicely on 13 sets.

3 Decline press, 3 incline dumbell press, 3 hammer smith press with forced negatives, 3 flat flies, and 1 set of cable cross-overs.

Benni.

Quick Reply: gym and aching