Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

What Made You Get Into Weight Training?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Made You Get Into Weight Training?

I think it's fair to say there are some more than acceptable phyisuqes on this forum, mine being the best of course. By a long way migtht I add.

Anyway, what made you get into training? I only went to drop a CD off at a friends gym and was more or less bullied into having a go. The next thing I know I'm addicted. All I do when I go to bed at night is sit on my phone and read articles. Some I don't understand so I bookmark it and go back to it and try again. It really has become my life. I had a shandy the other week, and I'm still wondering how much muscle I lost? LOL!

Benni.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

Nice one Benni, hopefully a decent thread that won't turn to shit like all the others seem to have done lately.

I started out in my late teens for two reasons. Firstly I used to do alot of running and other sports and ended up injured quite a bit so thought the gym would be a better way to get my sporty kicks without the impact of running.

Secondly, and quite sad really, I live in a seaside town which is busy as hell in the summer and deserted all winter. Literally nothing to do so being young I thought I would get fit during the winter to help my case with the young ladies that holiday here throughout summer.

Now its in my system, a hobby I enjoy doing. I do get fed up with it from time to time as I've done it for so long but a little time off soon sees me clucking to return to training.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:00 AM
kiddie

I was small throughout my teens, and never put weight on. My diet was shit though, since I started eating properly and lifting I have felt so much better about myself. I don't do it for any other reason, I don't always enjoy the lifestyle-but I have much more confidence now it's worth every minute
Old 05-04-2010, 10:15 AM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

I was getting towards the fat side, so I started going to the council run sports centre, didn't really know what i was doing, gradually picked things up, made improvments to diet etc, been training now for about 8 years, while I don't ever think I will have a proper flat stomach, I hopefully will never have a massive gut on me either

Really need to perfect diet, but there's too much nice stuff to eat/drink thats bad for us
Old 05-04-2010, 10:22 AM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Didn't want to be a fatty tbh,i know see how it becomes a way of life.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Was fat, joined the gym to lose weight then got caught up in weight training etc...
Old 06-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Vanity mostly if I'm honest.
Not really anythign to do with the fitness/health aspects, just didn't want to look like a beer swilling 20 something (or mid 30 something now)! (been on and off for a while but as Kieron said, a bit of time off the gym and I soon want to get back into it again).

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2010, 08:03 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

the girlfriend joined the gym at the beggining of the year and i felt left outthe rest they say is history and im now addicted and wish i had done it years ago.infact maybe i dont as i think it would have affected my social life as i havent had a drink in 4 months now.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:55 PM
conor.rst

My dad was always a big fella and i kinda followed in his shoes i was really really into it for ages had a good routine then i broke up with my missus after being with her for 3 years and it really messed me up but Ive fond the motivation to get on with it again
Old 07-04-2010, 01:09 PM
danzul
PassionFord Regular

i have always been a skinny guy, which didnt help when i played rugby, especialy when i started growing up and playing for town teams and getting realy injured.

i took a while off rugby and started smoking more and drinking more,

i decided to go back to rugby but not before i put some muscle on to make some sort of an effect on the field, also because i never liked being to skinny and i always wanted to be bigger and more muscly.

i have not long started training, and aim to be playing again in about 6 months time.
i have quit smoking and dont drink much at all any more, and i feel loads better for it, not just for not smoking and cutting down on the drink but because in only 2 weeks i already feel fitter and stronger and better about my self
Old 07-04-2010, 03:05 PM
jammerrs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my and my mate used to go to the gym at our school in our dinner hour, i always wanted to get a flatter stomach (i seem to get really bloted after a meal and look really fat again ) and he was into his rugby

then we got another lad to give us a bit of advice on what to do etc, then we started to go to a gym out of school

so i drift in and out of it now, with me doing bmxing aswell i usually end up injured just as im getting into the swing of things again, then i loose all enthusiasm for it

really need to get my arse into gear, loose a bit of weight and get bigger again, being only 17 doesnt help matters though with no money
Old 08-04-2010, 03:27 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I played rugby in high school so had free use of the local gym through school. Was always there when I was at high school. Then I left school went to college, didn't go to the gym, didnt play rugby, out drinking all the time, left college,got a job and just never gave it a second thought. Then I just thought one day I want to be fit again.

There's obviously vanity in there, but I just like feeling as fit and strong as I can be I guess. Also being in my job, selling designer clothes I've got to look presentable.

I also like the bragging rights sometimes like an army lad challenging me to a push up competition in the pub last week and beating him. 74 in 2 minutes to his 67.

Last edited by muz; 08-04-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:54 PM
marky_g
Fleet Manager

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i went originaly in support of my younger brother he was ordered by the docs, and loved it, was off for a few years between 19 and 22 but been back 3 years now gettin right into it as its my social life now