Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Forum Users.Your Pics/Goals

Search this Thread

Old 25-03-2010, 03:40 PM
P412KER
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL swinging dumbells around with no control and no idea of squatting or deads.....one of the reasons i converted my garage into a gym.
Old 25-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by P412KER
LOL swinging dumbells around with no control and no idea of squatting or deads.....one of the reasons i converted my garage into a gym.
Tell me about it... I can't watch and have to advise them. Sadly, nearly all of the time they look at me like I'm stupid, thank me and go back to how they were doing it. I think they just assume more weight = more muscle, regardless.

Benni.
Old 25-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by snOOpy86
Kieron, that looks like a proper meat head gym, nothing fancy flashy or new!
Exactly the type of place id want to train, altho i would probably be the smallest person there and feel out of place.
Its a shithole so is ideal! Apart from the holes that appear in the floor where idiots drop the weights down without using the mats.

I've been using some of that equipment for as long as I've been training and the rest is nearly as old as I am. Its a great gym though, no thrills. No heating either! lol Private too. There are about 20 of us that all get along mostly and we pay Ł20 a month each towards the rent and electric. Oh and new floorboards.

As said, the meatheads are the ones that know what they're doing so are usually the most helpful in passing on knowledge. Its the new lads with a chip and something to prove that you need to look out for. Spend most of their time either watching what your doing or looking at themselves.
Old 25-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I asked my mate about my chest and he first of all guessed the wrong side, which was a bonus. I then pointed it out and he said it's a little bigger, but not even to worry about.

Benni.
Old 25-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Kieron

Good news mate. Panic over.
Old 26-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Gonna' keep my eye on it though, lol!!

Benni.
Old 26-03-2010, 12:39 PM
snOOpy86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I would'nt be concerned about the so called meatheads, there normally the most helpful and friendliest people there, its the friday night bicep boys that are the knobs.
Know exactly what you mean! i used to go to a fitness first gym.. full of wannabe's and posers.
Left there and joined a small gym in the country thinking great not well known middle of no where.. RESULT! a few weeks in to training i realised i was compleatly WRONG! so over cramped some days iv just got back in the car and gone home!
Really need to find a good local gym with helpfull, encouraging people.
Old 26-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

You'll never find a gym if you're too picky! If you change your gym more than your undies' you'll never get to know anyone. Work out what times it's packed and go from there.

Don't forget, even a packed gym isn't always a problem as when one is resting after a set, you can ask to jump in. Everyone's a winner.

Benni.
Old 27-03-2010, 02:54 AM
twoblacklines

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always found university gyms to be the best.

Subsidised so cheap, best equipment etc, and honest instructors who have nothing to gain by giving you bad advice.

Mine has recently made me do leg exersises with light weights, apparently it releases hormones that will help the rest of my body. Hes been there doing it for years, and everything he has told me hasnt turned out bad so what the hell!
Old 27-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by twoblacklines
I have always found university gyms to be the best.

Subsidised so cheap, best equipment etc, and honest instructors who have nothing to gain by giving you bad advice.

Mine has recently made me do leg exersises with light weights, apparently it releases hormones that will help the rest of my body. Hes been there doing it for years, and everything he has told me hasnt turned out bad so what the hell!
Nice one! You keep at it mate and you'll see good improvements. All the best with it.

Benni.
Old 27-03-2010, 10:40 PM
P412KER
PassionFord Regular

If you have the space just train at home, a little expensive at first to get all the gear but alot easier in the long run. I've been training at home now for years and find it alot easier.
Old 27-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

If you have the space just train at home, a little expensive at first to get all the gear but alot easier in the long run. I've been training at home now for years and find it alot easier.
Good for some, but I like a partner, someone I can abuse and say things like 'You're lifting a lot of weight there mate... For a small woman'. Another good one I like is 'If you sent a picture of yourself to Arnold, he'd send you back a get well soon card and a food parcel'.

The whole gym was on the floor at that one... It just wouldn't be the same for me without that and I'd not enjoy it.

Benni.
Old 28-03-2010, 09:23 AM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Benni
Good for some, but I like a partner, someone I can abuse and say things like 'You're lifting a lot of weight there mate... For a small woman'. Another good one I like is 'If you sent a picture of yourself to Arnold, he'd send you back a get well soon card and a food parcel'.

The whole gym was on the floor at that one... It just wouldn't be the same for me without that and I'd not enjoy it.

Benni.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:35 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Home gyms are the way forward. All my mates take the piss out of me and my "Prison Gym" as they call it. They can spend Ł60 a month spending most of their time waiting to use equipement being used by angry foreigners and lads with people spotting for them doing more work than them but I much prefer being on my own in my attic. And for a pretty basic gym with a pretty basic routine, I don't look too bad.

I need to make a squat rack at some point, as I can't do sqauats and higher weighted shoulder presses at the moment but I'll kock one up with the welder come summer. Would like to get my toned stomach back, but as I've got stronger it's kinda disappeared so sort of compromise.

Excuse the dodgy faces, I was knackard Training up for a "friendly" box with my cousin in two weeks.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:02 PM
creator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you look in great shape muz,what weight are you mate?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:23 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

About 74 kg 160lbs and 5'7. Not big at all really.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:23 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

About 74 kg So about 160lbs and 5'7. Not big at all really.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:41 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Whats all in your prison gym m8 ?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:44 PM
kiddie

Muz spot on mate, I train at home in my garage aswell. You look in good shape mate, bet it gets fuckin hot up there though!
Old 12-04-2010, 09:15 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
Whats all in your prison gym m8 ?
Basically;

Punch Bag
Weights bench with incline
Barbell
Dumbells
Use the rafters as a pull up bar
45 degree sit up bench
Some heafty bolts through the rafters for dips
Skipping rope.

Use a pretty simple Push, Pull, Legs routine, however Legs due to not being about to use a squat rack has turned into mini circuits. Pressups, sit ups, crunches, skipping, dips, pull ups and punch bag work.

Originally Posted by kiddie
Muz spot on mate, I train at home in my garage aswell. You look in good shape mate, bet it gets fuckin hot up there though!
It's not too bad at the moment, still work up a proper sweat though. I'm those pics my top was wet through, but come summer the twin fans will have to come out or I'll move it all up the barn.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:25 PM
creator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you do look good tho mate i dont like seeing people ovally big but you look spot on with your height ect i just need to get my motivation back

Last edited by creator; 12-04-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Very impressive! I love the lats'.

Benni.
Old 13-04-2010, 01:12 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

watch you dont punch one of those beams instead of the bag

Looking great though chap
Old 13-04-2010, 01:38 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

I've caught my forearm and elbow a few times on that rafter on the right. Hense the card taped to it

but looking at that pic it seems someonse taken it off recently and put it back on the wrong way round haha! Who was that!?!
Old 13-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Kieron

Theres nothing like antique furniture and christmas decorations to get you motivated hey!
Old 19-04-2010, 08:24 PM
P412KER
PassionFord Regular

The biggest problem i have with training at home is motivation some times. Got a fairly decent set up mind, Squatting rack,bench, leg press and a rack of dumb bells from 5kg up to 35kg then a set of olmpic dumbell bars for heavier weights, plus about 300kg of plates oh and a punch bag.
Old 19-04-2010, 08:31 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kieron
Theres nothing like antique furniture and christmas decorations to get you motivated hey!
You missed out old records/useless crap nobody wants
Old 12-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Kverna
Virgin-popper

Originally Posted by muz
Home gyms are the way forward. All my mates take the piss out of me and my "Prison Gym" as they call it. They can spend Ł60 a month spending most of their time waiting to use equipement being used by angry foreigners and lads with people spotting for them doing more work than them but I much prefer being on my own in my attic. And for a pretty basic gym with a pretty basic routine, I don't look too bad.

I need to make a squat rack at some point, as I can't do sqauats and higher weighted shoulder presses at the moment but I'll kock one up with the welder come summer. Would like to get my toned stomach back, but as I've got stronger it's kinda disappeared so sort of compromise.

Excuse the dodgy faces, I was knackard Training up for a "friendly" box with my cousin in two weeks.

More pics of your legs please. Everything looks very good
Old 14-05-2010, 12:40 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

I'll get some up after the gym tonight. They arent as big as they were as I haven't done any leg work in months TBH as I have a muscle hernia on each of my lower legs from running too much. Think the muscle is the Tibialis?
Old 14-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Kverna
Virgin-popper

Originally Posted by muz
I'll get some up after the gym tonight. They arent as big as they were as I haven't done any leg work in months TBH as I have a muscle hernia on each of my lower legs from running too much. Think the muscle is the Tibialis?
Either way, great shape