Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

newbie training advice pleeeease!

Search this Thread

Old 20-03-2008, 12:25 PM
amowolves

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie training advice pleeeease!

Hi All,

I just stumbled across this section and just wanna say what a great part of the forum! plenty of useful info.

Basically just wondering if sumone with more experience than myself can have a quick scan at my training and diet routine below and give me some general advice on what else i can do to improve it. Ive been doing the below for approx 10 weeks now and had some success but not as much as i wished. I am trying to basically get fit and lose approx 2 stone (down to 12.5) whilst maintain muscle growth (or atleast maintain what i have already).

diet:

7am wheetabix or porridge oats

10:30am tea or coffee

12pm mixed fruit and low fat yogurt

2pm tea or coffee

4.30pm 2 chapattis with vegatable indian dish

6pm training

7pm whey protein shake with skimmed milk

8pm vegatable or sumtimes meat dish

training routine: (3 sets of 10,8,6 reps and an increase in weight for each set)

tuesday - barbell bench press, dumbell chest flies, ezbar tricep extension, bench dips (10x3), 20mins cross trainer

thursday - dumbell lateral raise, dumbell forward raise, dumbell shoulder press, 20mins cross trainer

saturday - barbell upright row, single arm dumbell row, concentration curl, barbell curl, 20mins cross trainer

i also fit in 10mins on the heavy bag occasionally after training when i still feel i have the energy.

Thanks inadvance

Amo
Old 20-03-2008, 02:23 PM
StuRST
Regular Contributor

just about to shoot out so just a quick critism and suggestion....

you need to include alot more good quality protein, you should ideally be eating around 35g of protein every 3 hours to gain muscle, so add in some eggs, chicken, steak, tuna etc

with regards to training, you could try 5 sets of 5 at the heaviest weight you can do (with good form) to failure to see if it kick starts growth. obviously warm up and stretch first.
Old 20-03-2008, 02:57 PM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Need to have a look at your diet mate. Your training is ok, I can add a few adjustments there.

Diet......

7am......Stick to the oats for breakfast

10.30.... loose the coffee or tea and replace it with an item of fruit and 1 pint of water

12pm... Tuna salad with your yogurt afterwards

2pm.... protien shake mixed with skimmed milk, also have a pint of water.

4.30 pm..... Have your 2 chapattis with vegatable indian dish now!

6pm.... train

7pm.... protien shake mixed with skimmed milk. Have another pint of water

8pm.... stick to the meat and loose the veg for this meal. Another pint of water.

As for your training, looks ok for what you want to achieve. I would drop the cross trainer on the Saturday. Try to get in at least 90 mins of cycling per week.
Old 20-03-2008, 03:28 PM
amowolves

hey, thanks for your input guys much appreciated.....thought i might need to improve the diet...was a bit worried though that eating too much may have a negative impact on the fat burning process.

anyhow i will try and include more protein in my diet. rather than tuna salad for lunch what do you think of a tuna jacket? or would that add too much carbs? not really keen on salads. also i do cook meat most nights but if i dont have any would an egg omlate be a good substitute for the 8pm meal?

also i have read having glucosamine (or sumthing that sounds like that) is good to take with your protein shake to help the body absorb the protein? if so which one would you recommend? also whilst on the topic of supplements is it better to take one that contains a bit of everything..i.e whey protein, creatine, amino acids, glucosamine etc or individual ones?

thanks again

Amo
Old 20-03-2008, 03:36 PM
amowolves

lol i think i was refering to glutamine not glucosamine (im sure thats what my dad takes for his bad knees!)
Old 01-04-2008, 07:49 AM
amowolves

what do people think about this? i am currently just ova 14 stone and 5ft 10. Got a beer gut that im hoping to get rid off through both the above diet and exercise.

as for a protein supplement and to help with the diet would this help as part of the above plan? and if so would it be suitable as a meal replacement or in addition?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5KG-SCI-MX-USN...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-04-2008, 10:14 AM
StuRST
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by amowolves
as for a protein supplement and to help with the diet would this help as part of the above plan? and if so would it be suitable as a meal replacement or in addition?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5KG-SCI-MX-USN...QQcmdZViewItem
use it as exactly what it is, a 'supplement', any supplement taken should never ever replace food, they are there to add extra to you diet and maximise what you can get naturally

i cant comment on the quality of it though as ive never used it
Old 01-04-2008, 10:26 AM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

As said above. First thing I thought about your diet, no fucking protein in it! Eat more proper protein!

Also, have your protein shake immediately after training. I personally would not have it with milk right after your workout, as it slows digestion. I'd have the shake on it's own, then half an hour or an hour later have another one, with milk in it if you wish.

If you're really training hard, have a protein shake the minute you wake up in the morning.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:01 PM
amowolves

Hi guys thanks for clearing that up...all this marketing hype around products just confuses the hell out of newbies like me. so thanks again.

i have adapted my diet and so far this is what i have been doing for the last week.

7am oats in skimmed milk
10am pint of water and a fruit
12pm tuna jacket
2pm protein shake
4pm 2xchappatis and veg dish
6pm training
7pm protein shake
8:30pm 3 fried eggs or chicken

just one last question before i just shutup and get on with it for a few months.....

Do i eat the same on none training days? or do i cut down on the food/protein intake?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:56 PM
StuRST
Regular Contributor

yup, eat the same on non training days as when your muscles are resting/recovering they are growing and need all the protein and nutrients to repair (grow).

personally i would add a bit more fruit and veg to your diet as well
Old 01-04-2008, 07:38 PM
fast_ford_uk
PassionFord Regular

you will find it difficult to loose weight and put on mass at the same time imo as your body will need the extra protein, calories etc for you muscles to grow yet your wanting to loose weight by cutting down on such calories at the same time. depends what works best for you but it may be worth splitting your diet and training up into bulking and cutting phases
Old 01-04-2008, 07:45 PM
fast_ford_uk
PassionFord Regular

eg first month train with more cardio and eat as healthy as possible, next month do more weight training and concentrate on eating alot more but of healthy fats etc - bulking phase doesnt mean just eat everything in sight, eat good quality foods

hope this helps
Old 01-04-2008, 09:30 PM
amowolves

thats what i was thinking.....ill give this diet and training routine a go for a month and see how i get on...if i bulk up too much (in unwanted areas) then i'll try the cutting phase for a couple of months.

would you recommend doing cardio on seperate days? at the mo i do 20mins on the cross trainer after my weight training....would i be better doing this on a seperate day? this would mean that i end up training five days a week....3 on weights and two on cardio.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:29 PM
fast_ford_uk
PassionFord Regular

if your only doing 20mins worth of cardio since youve got to warm up any way why not do 10 mins before a workout then 10 afterwards, this will give your muscles a well needed stretch
Old 02-04-2008, 07:25 PM
amowolves

thanks for the advise fast ford, ill give that a try. i have been reading on the net and people have advised doing cardio in the morning before breakfast, as this uses up any fat stored. have also read that if you have plenty of fat to burn off (as i do) it shouldnt have a negative impact on maintaining my muscle growth. so if i can get up ill give that a try too for a month and see how i get on.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:10 PM
robocos
Regular Contributor

[QUOTE=amowolves;3201379]8:30pm 3 fried eggs or chicken

QUOTE]

Scrambled or poached eggs. Not fried eggs
Old 03-04-2008, 07:15 AM
amowolves

sorry i meant an omlate of 3 eggs.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:44 PM
fast_ford_uk
PassionFord Regular

[QUOTE=robocos;3204548]
Originally Posted by amowolves

QUOTE]

Scrambled or poached eggs. Not fried eggs
my misses prefers fertilized lol
Old 05-04-2008, 04:14 PM
FAST AS FORD
PassionFord Regular

7am oats in skimmed milk
10am pint of water and a fruit
12pm tuna jacket
2pm protein shake
4pm 2xchappatis and veg dish
6pm training
7pm protein shake

No healthy fats!?, try adding sardines, mackerel, salmon, olives, avacado's, nuts and seeds.

The fish can be used to replace a protein meal with the added bonus of containing omega 3s, add olives or avacados to any meal (once a day if you can), nuts and seeds for snacking.

Your meal after training is perhaps a bit late, try eating within 90 mins of finishing.

What time do you goto bed, is 8.30 your last meal?
Old 05-04-2008, 11:15 PM
amowolves

Hi fastford

i wrote 8.30 for my evening meal but it prob more like 8. basically i have a protein shake straight after training and then my eve meal straight after ive showered up. i go to sleep around 10:30 or 11. for the last week ive been having a 3egg omalte or chicken for my eve meal. i have read sumwhere having a glass of milk a spoon of peanut butter would also be good last thing at night as it is a slow digesting protein?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:30 PM
FAST AS FORD
PassionFord Regular

Yes, peanut butter and milk is fine as a last meal for the reasons mentioned but can be a bit calorific if you overdo the pb. Try cottage cheese or quark as an alternate if calories need to be watched, have a fish oil cap for the fats.