Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

glucosamine

Old 05-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glucosamine

anyone used it before? it has been recommended to me by an instructor to aid flexibility in joints, stops them cracking etc, 2 * 1000mg per day, dont get me wrong i wholeheartedly trust what he says just looking for other peoples experiences
Old 05-06-2006, 11:55 PM
Steve200+
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Matt, I'd be interesting in hearing more about this... in what way does it help?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:50 AM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

steve.....

Glucosamine Sulphate

DESCRIPTION
Glucosamine sulphate is a Sulphur containing amino sugar. Whilst many forms of this substance exist, a vast quantity of research supports the use of glucosamine sulphate alone. Glucosamine sulphate is well recognised for its uses in the management of osteo- and rheumatoid Arthritis, inflamed joints and discs, tendons, ligaments, muscles and damaged tissues.

FUNCTIONS

Glucosamine sulphate occurs naturally in the connective tissue and cartilage where it contributes to the mobility, strength and integrity of joint structures. It is also located in the muscles, tendons, ligaments, spinal discs and heart valves.

Glucosamine sulphate stimulates the cells that are involved in the production of bone and cartilage.

Glucosamine is fundamental in the synthesis of glycosaminoglycans (GAGs), which are responsible for producing the framework on which collagen is built and for protecting against the breakdown of cartilage. The major glycosaminoglycans derived from glucosamine include hyaluronate, chondroitin sulphate, heparin and keratan sulphate. Glucosamine sulphate also helps to thicken the lubricating synovial fluid that cushions and supports the joints.

The sulphated form of glucosamine is recommended in preference to other forms (such as N-acetyl-glucosamine and glucosamine hydrochloride) as the sulphur helps in the metabolism of glucosamine and its incorporation into the body. Additionally, glucosamine sulphate is a smaller molecule than other glucosamine derivatives and is, therefore, easier to absorb.

Studies show that between 90 and 98% of an oral dose of glucosamine sulphate is absorbed. However, detailed absorption studies on the other forms of glucosamine do not exist.

SUGGESTED INTAKES

500-1500 mg daily.

For osteoarthritis, 1500mg of glucosamine sulphate is recommended for 8 weeks.

Daily intakes for health maintenance are 500mg.

SUPPLEMENTAL USES

Glucosamine sulphate is used primarily to maintain the health of the joints. The amino sugar helps to thicken the lubricating synovial fluid that cushions and supports the joints, helping to build and rebuild cartilage.

Arthritis:
Investigations have shown that glucosamine sulphate is an effective therapy for the management of Arthritis. Patients taking 1500mg of glucosamine sulphate daily have experienced partial or even full recovery from the symptoms of osteoarthritis after just 8 weeks of supplementation. Glucosamine works by helping to rebuild damaged cartilage and increase the thickness of the synovial fluid. Arthritic patients noted a positive effect on joint mobility (increased elasticity). Pain and Inflammation of the joints has also been relieved using daily intakes of glucosamine sulphate.

Wound Healing:
The availability of glucosamine is rate- limiting in the production of hyaluronic acid (HA). Administration of glucosamine by mouth after surgery or trauma enhances the HA production in the Wound, thereby promoting swifter healing and possibly diminishing complications related to scarring.

Crohn’s Disease and Colitis:
Glucosamine forms part of the rate- limiting enzyme needed for the synthesis of glycoproteins in the gastrointestinal tract. Activity of the enzyme has been shown to vary in those with Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative colitis . The mechanism by which this process occurs is not known, although it is thought that alterations in the levels of glucosamine may affect the structure of the mucosal membrane. However, the use of supplements containing glucosamine for these conditions requires further studies.

SAFETY

Glucosamine sulphate can be taken safely on a long-term basis at levels up to 1500mg daily.

Mild side effects have been noted in some studies, including nausea, Heartburn and Headaches. However, many of these side effects were noted in elderly patients which may have been related to pre-existing gastrointestinal disorders and their treatments.

INTERACTIONS AND CONTRA-INDICATIONS

Diabetics should consult a doctor before taking glucosamine sulphate and should monitor blood sugar levels if taking glcosamine.

N.B. Glucosamine sulphate has been shown to be as effective as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) in relieving the symptoms of osteoarthritis.

Chondroitin Sulphate
Chondroitin sulphate belongs to a family of compounds called glycosaminoglycans and is a naturally occuring substance in your body. Chondroitin sulphate helps to provide elasticity in the cartilage in your joints and maintain the correct level of moisture and lubrication.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Steve200+
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Cheers Matt!

DEFINITELY gonna look into taking this, I have 'issues' with both knees due to earlier injuries, which for Martial Arts, isn't the greatest thing.

If I can get it sorted, I'll post up if it helps me personally, and I'll definitely notice the difference lol

Again, top one for that
Old 08-06-2006, 05:02 PM
focus-esp
Virgin

ive being taking this for the last month.
had a pin and a bone graft in my wrist last september and since then my wrist sounded like a griniding gearbox, found out about glucosamine on the net and asked my physio, he reckonned everyone should take it as a daily supplement. popped into wilkinson buy 1 get 1 free so 120 tabs for 3.50 and i take 2 500mg a day stopped 95% of the crunching in my wrist after only a few days feels hell of alot better.

jas
Old 08-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

focus-esp

top stuff
Old 09-06-2006, 03:34 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

its good stuff, give it a go