Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Rowing Machine & Exercise Bike Tips Needed.

Old 19-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rowing Machine & Exercise Bike Tips Needed.

Can anyone offer me any advice please. At work we have just bought a Carl Lewis Rowing machine and Exercise Bike, they also both have a computer with programmable routines etc...

To look at me you wouldn't think i was too unfit lol but i am, i was just wondering what the best way to get started is. I dont want to be wasting time doing too easy a program, but i dont want to try doing too much too and getting fed up with it.

I mainly want to get rid of a bit of a beer gut and just generally tone up a bit everywhere, if i can get into this a bit i would then look at a gym etc too but at the minute i have free use of these machines at work so was hoping i could make a start now.

Any help much appreciated, cheers!
Old 20-02-2006, 06:48 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As long as you are confident you are otherwise healthy (heart etc) then there is no reason why you cannot progress at a reasonable rate and start to push yourself.

For bodybuilders who want to burn fat without loosing too much muscle size you are told to do cardio at a pace where you can still hold a conversation. This is obviously to slow if you are trying to get fitter.

Have a search of the web (I'll have a look too) for a chart which will show, by age, what your heart rate should be for a) burning fat or b) improving cardio performance. Sometimes these are printed on the front of the machines too.

In the meantime, for the first few sessions, take it easy and then just add either more distance or up the pace. You will know how hard you are working. Each time just try and better yourself.

I personally like the hill programmes which are a bit like interval training. You work at a steady rate with short sharp periods of increased intensity.

Have fun!
Old 20-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks Paul, yes it has the heart rate chart in the instructions etc, so would it be ok to split training up int say 3 sessions throughout the day, or do one longer session.
Old 21-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'd split it first and gradully put it down to 2, then one long session