Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

lifting when you are already big

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 02:43 PM
bigwelshlad
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifting when you are already big

a fairly new newbie here and looking for some good advice.

i'm a fairly big lad already in terms of size (not saying its muscle and wont post the stats again but i have to wear 3xls, and have a typical powerlifters build (glenn ross in size but a lot shorter) but have only just started taking an interest in lifting myself. i admit to having a very big beer gut and i have noticed a hardening and slight growth of the belly area since starting lifting 2 months ago. i reaaly dont want the gut to get too much bigger and therefore would like to know if lifting heavy weights when you already have a big belly is gonna make it worse ?

welshy
Old 09-02-2006, 02:54 PM
DaveMCMkIII
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

No, but its not going to make it any better. If you want to loose the gut first thing is a good, sound, relevent diet. Then the application of cardiovascular based exercise into an exercise routine. However, cv exercise is suggested to impair the results of strength training when the two are done concurrently (together), however, improvements in strength can still occur, especially if you have just began training, just not at the same rate as if you did resistance training alone. Therefore its a bit of a double edged sword, but alot depends on your weight, body composition, diet, training routine etc, so it would be a good idea to se a trainer at your gym (even though they tend to be useless!)
Old 09-02-2006, 06:02 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As above, there's a post I did a while ago about the conflicts of the typical slogan 'gain muscle, loose fat'. The two are not mutually exclusive but if you try and do both at the same time it will always be a comprimise.

Paul
Old 21-11-2008, 03:35 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

To loose weight you must eat kit kats.
Old 22-11-2008, 05:28 PM
micreed
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

if you are lifting heavy ,say in basic lifts ie,squat,shoulderpress and such your gut can actualy grow as you are putting your core under stress...mind you it depends on weight and reps type thing... i would suggest if your stomach is growing as well... drop the weights ,up your reps and really squeeze and feel the muscle your training...this can make a moderate weight seem a lot heavier..stick to higher reps 10 to 15 reps...do 20 mins cardio after training...loads of protein.cut fats.moderate carbs..small meals every 3 hrs...soon see drop in bodyfat and better muscle tone...dont get obssesed by the scales use the mirror to gauge your look as you may not lose loads of weight...is it possible to lose fat and build muscle? hell yes if you put in the work...
Old 04-12-2008, 03:13 PM
rstel1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by micreed
if you are lifting heavy ,say in basic lifts ie,squat,shoulderpress and such your gut can actualy grow as you are putting your core under stress...mind you it depends on weight and reps type thing... i would suggest if your stomach is growing as well... drop the weights ,up your reps and really squeeze and feel the muscle your training...this can make a moderate weight seem a lot heavier..stick to higher reps 10 to 15 reps...do 20 mins cardio after training...loads of protein.cut fats.moderate carbs..small meals every 3 hrs...soon see drop in bodyfat and better muscle tone...dont get obssesed by the scales use the mirror to gauge your look as you may not lose loads of weight...is it possible to lose fat and build muscle? hell yes if you put in the work...
I agree, also do some cardio in the morning before eating (even if its on a thigh stepper)