Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Advice needed for massive lifestyle change and weightloss goals.. one for the gurus?

Search this Thread

Old 27-05-2008, 09:38 AM
stu da rude
Username change wanted!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed for massive lifestyle change and weightloss goals.. one for the gurus?

Hi all,

Ive been putting off doing this for years, but im at the point now where i simply cannot carry on living like i have been for a fear i may not see many more days! Im hoping that voicing the problem might help to get me motivated.

Im 26, used to drink a lot 20-30 pints typically, eat lots of shit (LOTS of curries, general take away, McD's etc etc) and as a result ive gained a lot of weight from an early age and am really struggling to lose it.

On positive side, ive drastically cut out the drink, ive never smoked and im trying to put my diet right.

Im currently 6" 2, and weigh 18.5 stone. Im 'big' all over, i have got a belly, but its pretty spread out over my bulk. I think my bmi is in the 30's.

So, i need some advice. Ive recently re-joined my gym, and am doing the following routine, i repeat this on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, except on a wednesday i mince around in the pool for a bit afterwards, then have a sit in the steam room for 20mins or so.

To start: 5 mins warm up, stretch out, 15 mins treadmill at 6km and gradient of 7, 15 mins crosstrainer @ level 12 then onto resistance. All of the resistance is 3 sets of 15 reps, where the last few of the 3rd are approaching failure. The weights are what ive come to do after 8 weeks or so, and are what i need to do to get to the point of failure near the end. I generally add 2.5-5kg every 2 weeks.

Stomach crunch: 60kg
Lower back: 50kg
Chest incline: 37.5kg
Chest press: 37.5kg
Lat pull down: 60kg
Arm curl: 22.5kg
Arm extension 30kg

Now ive seen a bit of improvment in definition, but i dont seem to be loosing any weight. Should i be doing more cardio stuff? My diet is a lot more sensible now, is there anything i definitely SHOULD or SHOULDNT be eating?

I quite enjoy the weights, but the cardio stuff sucks. My goal now is to focus primarily on loosing weight, what is the most effective method of doing this?

Im really geared up to make whatever change is necessary to get there, ive been trying to convince myself for years that im ok and im just 'big', but its just denial, just writing this thread has helped me realise i need to accept the fact that things arent ok and i need to change!

Help!
Old 27-05-2008, 11:00 AM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mate I was similar to you at the start of the year. The heaviest I've weighed was 22.5 stone and I was a FAT bastard!! Lost some weight few years ago, but hovered around 18.5 - 20 stone for last 3 years. I am a big guy (1st team and ex-county prop forward), but I was pretty fat as well. I used to be a beer monster and would always eat shit, especially if I was bored or anxious about something.

Started diet on 2nd jan this year at 19 st 1. Since then I have had NO McDonalds, NO Takeaway curry or pizza and NO Kebabs. I've virtually stopped drinking - might have a few if its a big wknd, but no booze during the week and none if I'm not out for something special. My calorie intake is kept to around 1700 to 2200 per day.

Most important meal is brekky as it kick starts your metabolism and stops you snacking until lunch. I have sugar free museli with skimmed milk.

Lunch is wholemeal sandwich with ham and low fat philli cheese, fruit and yoghurt.

Tea might be stir fry or pasta and chicken or casserole - anything with loads of veg and little fat.

Snacks are fruit only!!

I've been doing 40 mins on cross trainer doing 5 mins warm up at speed 10 kmph and resistance 6. Then increase to level 8 and do:

a) 1 min of pushing hard with arms, focussing on chest and triceps.
b) 1 min pulling hard, focussing on forearms.
c) 1 min legs only.
d) 1 min backwards.
e) 1 min sprint forward (holding speed at 17.5 kmph+).

So 5 min cycles. Increase each 5 mins from level 8 to 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 and repeat each exercise.

5 mins cool down.

I aim to cover 8.5 kms and burn 775 calories in the 40 mins on the cross trainer. You need to keep your speed and heart rate up, and push through on level 18 even if it feels like you will keel over! NO PAIN, NO GAIN!!

After x-trainer we have these split running machines where you have a belt for each foot, which goes up and down so its like walking on sand.

I do about 12 mins on this (or however long is needed) at top speed of 6.4 kmph and max travel to top up my calories burnt to 1000.

Then I do chin ups and triceps dips on alternating days until failure. On the other days I do 2x50 sit ups with a 5kg medicine ball. In Jan I could do half a chin up - now I do 5 or 6 at a time.

I'm not doing any weights at the moment as my main aim is to strip fat in time for my 25th in November. I have lost muscle, but that can be regained.

Total time at the gym each visit is no more than 1h 15 mins, except tuesdays where I do a 45 min spinning class as well as my normal workout ,as I don't have much time to spare and I'll get bored otherwise. I go def 4 or if I can 5 times a week.

So far I've lost 3 stone this yeargoing from 19 st 1 to 16 st 1 now, with another 1 to 1.5 to go by November for my birthday. I should break into the 15 stone barrier this week. That will be the lightest I've been since year 9 at school !

Its a harsh regeme, but the results are clear to see and it depends how badly you want to lose weight. I've been fat since I was a baby and decided that I really wanted to change this year. Getting more (well some! ) attention from birds was one of my main motivations.

The only badside is that I need a whole new wardrobe

OOPS posted in GD, but here now as well!
Old 27-05-2008, 11:32 AM
stu da rude
Username change wanted!

Fook, that does sound like hard work! But, its this sort of advice im after so nice one fella, you sound to be of a similar build to me so ill give this a try.

Ive always been overweight for as long as i can remember! I did wonder if i was genetically pre-disposed to being overweight, then my mate kindly pointed out that i was just being an idle fucker and to get on with it..

Good work though mate, glad to see you're reaping the rewards.

Anymore for anymore?
Old 27-05-2008, 01:07 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

doing this weight loss shit at the moment too pal,for me its home made soup to work with two bananas and two low fat yogs,lowish fat dinner at night(nothing after 7pm bar water).go out cycling 3 nights a week at the moment(might do more nights soon).i'm a bricky to trade so weight lifting is my job,no need for the gym YET.
at the moment i'm 23stone 6"5 tall.looking to lose 5 stone.

so far i have lost 12lbs in two weeks(sounds good but i have it to lose at the moment,it will get harder the nearer i get to my goal).

i lost 3 stone last year doing this then decided that would do for now(never put any back on tho,kept checking and adjusting)

my cus said the spinning bikes work very very well too.

being in the correct frame of mind to do it is important as last year for the four months i was on my diet iwas extremely strict and never came of the tracks,same this time i hope!

my brother inlaw is a personal trainer and say the main things are..

cardio work
eat less and slower(absolutely nothing after 7pm)
plenty of water
be strict with yourself

i will do it with you pal,i will post here next sunday to say how much i have lost.

posotive mental atitude

Last edited by dovboy; 27-05-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 27-05-2008, 02:41 PM
stu da rude
Username change wanted!

Originally Posted by bigchez

I've been doing 40 mins on cross trainer doing 5 mins warm up at speed 10 kmph and resistance 6. Then increase to level 8 and do:

c) 1 min legs only.
d) 1 min backwards.

So 5 min cycles. Increase each 5 mins from level 8 to 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 and repeat each exercise.

5 mins cool down.
So when pushing or pulling, do you use legs to counteract?
Old 27-05-2008, 09:12 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by stu da rude
So when pushing or pulling, do you use legs to counteract?
Yes use legs as well, but main force from your arms - just let your legs follow.

First few sessions will kill but its worth it.
Old 28-05-2008, 01:47 PM
jdcrst
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Default Weight loss

Guys my advise is to consult a dietician. Its the best money spent. If you continue with a program without the correct nutition (protein, carbs and yes fat/the correct type) you will damage your body beyond repair. It is not only your muscles which will weaken but your bones liver kidneys cartelidge basically your entire body! your diets sound like they are for people who are less active and do not have such a high impact cv routine and physical job.
Your body will burn of its own muscles if you do not feed it properly.
In short my freinds get professional advice and take it slow your benefits will be better in the long run.
Once you have reached your goal you will have to return to a normal healthy eating plan and if you have crash dieted your body will start to rebuild itself with the vitamins and nutrients it has lacked for so long and you will see yourself gain weight again. you will then diet again and the spiral will continue.
Good luck guys and do it right
JC
Old 01-06-2008, 08:44 AM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

lost 3lbs,thats 15lbs's in total now.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:34 PM
stu da rude
Username change wanted!

Good man! Excellent work.

well tonight is my first night of the new program, ive been talking to a mate of mine and after telling him what you guys have said, along with his input we have come up with the following:

Cardio as per Big Chez's suggestion..

40 mins on cross trainer doing 5 mins warm up at speed 10 kmph and resistance 6. Then increase to level 8 and do:

c) 1 min legs only.
d) 1 min backwards.

5 mins cool down.

Then a balance to a 1000 calories burnt by doing whatever on the treadmill, im hoping to get the 1k calories done in an hour, i may reduce this time dependant.

Weights:

Less reps, more weight. Train to failure earlier to build. Im thinking of doing 3 sets of 8, ideally, when should i be approaching failure? Into the last set? or should i be nearly there at the end of the second?

For ease, ill keep the machine rotation the same, just alter the weights/reps.

Any thoughts? Forgot to weigh myself this morning so ill do it tomorrow, and ill keep it updated week to week along with what ive been doing.

Ive got a bit of downtime tomorrow so im going to try to get an appointment with a dietician sorted, im really geared up to do it right this time!

Thanks for all the replies too people, the thought of other people doing a bit is really spurring me on so good luck to you guys, and wish me luck for my first session!

Heres hoping i dont end up in A & E...

Last edited by stu da rude; 02-06-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 AM
stu da rude
Username change wanted!

Well, i tried it last night. And man did it fuck me! I couldnt quite manage the 40mins on the cross trainer, got to 36 and had to stop, i literally felt physically sick! BUT, i started at level 10 and ended at level 20 so i might drop it down a bit to end at 18 next time. The other thing was maybe i wasnt going quick enough, as after 36 mins id done exactly 500, so i did a bit on the treadmill after to make up a bit, i think i managed another 10mins before i wandered off..

Weights were weird, im not that keen on the 3 sts of 8, i felt much more 'pump' from a moderate weight with 3 sets of 15, so maybe i need more weight on.

Forgot to weigh myself this morning too, ill defo do it tomorrow so i can start to keep a log.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Mate low reps high weight will bulk you up. you want to be doing low weight, high reps to burn the fat off and get toned.

To be honest you should sack most weights and just hit the cardio as hard as possible. Also i dunno how you are with running but a good run is THE best form of burning calories there is.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ollie6RS2
Mate low reps high weight will bulk you up. you want to be doing low weight, high reps to burn the fat off and get toned.

To be honest you should sack most weights and just hit the cardio as hard as possible. Also i dunno how you are with running but a good run is THE best form of burning calories there is.
Agreed, although swimming is probably a better option than the running, when you are that heavy it plays havoc with your joints to have continual pounding impacts.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:07 AM
stu da rude
Username change wanted!

Yeah, running at the mo isnt something i feel comfortable doing, my one ankle is weak at the best of times and ive got a dodgy knee so i look like a bit of a spacker when im running.. that and the moobs nearly knock out anyone in a 2 metre radius..

Im gonna go back to my 3 sets of 15 with moderate weight, but focus mainly on cardio. Im determined to get an hour in tonight solely on cardio, and im defo going to try to get 40mins on the cross trainer. I feel like i cheated myself a bit last time!

I might start swimming on a sunday morning too, join in with the OAP's..
Old 04-06-2008, 10:52 AM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cardio all the way,i'm doing an hour or two out on my bike every other night till i get down a fair bit in weight then start doing gym stuff.like i say i get plenty of weight lifting working as a bricky,been off this week on holiday tho
Old 08-06-2008, 08:57 AM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

another 4lbs,thats 19lbs in total.

how you doing stu? lost anything yet?

Last edited by dovboy; 08-06-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:23 AM
stu da rude
Username change wanted!

Fair play buddy, keep up the good work! Im really starting to feel the disadvantage of having an 'office' job, when i was on the servicing being out and about and active did make a big difference.

Im weighing myself every wednesday, and last wednesday was the the first one, im @ 19" 2

So heres hoping ive at least got back into the 18" catergory by tomorrow..

Ive got another problem now, im trying mega hard not to have anything to eat after 7, but when i come out of the gym at around 10ish im absolutely starving! Whats best to have at this time? Anything?

The pisser is due to other commitments i cant get into the gym till around 8, so im normally done for 10. If i had the choice, i would go earlier right after tea but this isnt an option.

Also, as much as i try mate i cannot get to 40mins on the crosstrainer, its got to the point where im starting to get annoyed with it so ive mixed it up a bit, heres what im gonna do this week:

5mins warm up on treadmill, Speed 5kms and gradient 2,
30mins on the crosstrainer as per the normal program, but starting at level 10 and ending on 20.
15mins on the treadmill speed @ 6kms and gradient 8
8mins on the top crosstrainer @ level 8

This typically is burning 700-750 calories, im doing it three times a week (mon wed fri) then i intend to do an hour swimming on a sunday morning.

I find my heartrate averages around 150-155 when im on it, is this high enough? Its starts around 130-140 and probably peaks at around 160-165, I remember one of the gym people saying it needs to be up, but if its too high then the fat burn isnt as effective as you start to cardio train, whats too high?
Old 17-06-2008, 10:18 AM
stu da rude
Username change wanted!

Anyone?
Old 17-06-2008, 12:06 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yeah nowt this week but i didnt get out on my bike all last week.

trying a bit harder this week and been out on my bike again but its a bit hard as my wife is due any day now.

how you doing stu??
Old 18-06-2008, 11:20 AM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

After couple of weekends of relapsing on the beer I broke a big barrier today - down to 15st 12! To say I'm happy is an understatement! Done 45lb since jan now.

Keep at it!
Old 19-06-2008, 01:18 PM
stu da rude
Username change wanted!

Shit. Ive lost 1lb this week

BUT.. i can see a definite improvement in my chest and arms..

Defo time to see a dietician.
Old 19-06-2008, 04:22 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

why so sad that would be 52lbs in a year!! as long as you are going in the right direction!
Old 19-06-2008, 05:50 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

1 lb is still 1 lb in the right direction. You need to look at this as a long process rather than a quick one, and a lb a week is sustainable and healthy.

I don't think you need a dietician just exercise loads! If you're burning loads of calories you can virtually eat what you want - just the more of the wrong stuff you eat the slower the weight will come off. ALWAYS go for diet/low fat option and avoid too many carbs but keep your protein intake up so you'll build healthy muscle with exercise.

Keep your chin up pal, you can do it. Try to get a mate to go to the gym with you as you will work harder to try to beat them, and they'll encourage you on nights you don't feel like it and vice versa.

Keep this updated so you can track your progress and motivate yourself.
Old 20-06-2008, 09:08 AM
stu da rude
Username change wanted!

Thanks guys, its all good advice.

I was on a bit of a downer yesterday, took a good dump this morning and im now flicking between 18" 13 and 19stone..

So from now on, im gonna weigh myself in a morning after ive launched a steamer..

Thanks for the words of encouragement fella's, ill keep this updated!
Old 25-06-2008, 01:05 AM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

Good on you blokes for doing the weight loss thing, I will be telling my Weight Watchers leader about you lot as we were only having a discussion the other week about how men don't talk about weight loss... It just goes to show that its good to talk about it and if its something that's important to you, getting support from others is always good!!

Sarah
Old 25-06-2008, 12:02 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Despite flogging myself to death at the gym this week I've lost no weight!! I haven't put any on either though, so not all bad.

I must have put on muscle
Old 25-06-2008, 12:26 PM
RobS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

keep at it mate

14months ago i was 28stone and had job walk for long distances, with diet and lots good cardio im now 17.5stone, ride 15mile to work and back 3 times a week and a hour cardio every day, then do weight session in eve 3 times a week with high reps... beleive me it hard work but the results make you feel awesome....

i mix it up on most sessions, it more enjoyable, i do max 8-10min on 1 piece equipment and a good pace then 3 min rest, i use rower, x trainer, bike, runner, step, boxing, plus lots matt excercise. i know it an get tedious stopping on 1 machine for ages.
Old 25-06-2008, 02:09 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RobS
keep at it mate

14months ago i was 28stone and had job walk for long distances, with diet and lots good cardio im now 17.5stone, ride 15mile to work and back 3 times a week and a hour cardio every day, then do weight session in eve 3 times a week with high reps... beleive me it hard work but the results make you feel awesome....

i mix it up on most sessions, it more enjoyable, i do max 8-10min on 1 piece equipment and a good pace then 3 min rest, i use rower, x trainer, bike, runner, step, boxing, plus lots matt excercise. i know it an get tedious stopping on 1 machine for ages.

well done mate

you have gave your car an extra 21bhp by losing that compared to when you used to drive it!!

every 7lbs takes away 1 hp
Old 26-06-2008, 12:20 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dovboy
well done mate

you have gave your car an extra 21bhp by losing that compared to when you used to drive it!!

every 7lbs takes away 1 hp
Woohoo I've gained 6 and a bit bhp then
Old 02-07-2008, 09:10 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Lost another 2 lb this week, down to 15st 10 now. only 10lb to go to target weight, then start bulking up.

How's everyone else doing?
Old 03-07-2008, 06:46 PM
DaveMCMkIII
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Well done mate! I am down to 11-12% body fat now, aim for next week is bang on 11%. Keep up the good work
Old 04-07-2008, 10:57 AM
fc32
Virgin

id recommend

Little or no alcohol
Little or no carbonated drinks
Healthy Breakfast (High Fibre)
Healthy Lunch (Pasta or Rice)
Healthy Dinner (Pasta or Rice) at least Ł h6urs before bftime
Old 09-07-2008, 07:19 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

one more lb today, so 15 9 now. 1 lb to go for 3.5 stone. Fingers crossed for next week.
Old 16-07-2008, 11:31 AM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Despite a weekend properly on the piss, a curry and several cornish pasties I've lost another pound, hitting the 3.5 stone barrier and now weigh 15st 8lb. Really happy!!

Just got to slog on to 15st now, which I want to hit by my birthday in November.
Old 23-07-2008, 11:32 AM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Woohoo hit 15st 7 today!! Lost a total of 50lb now, 7 to go. Then its time to hit the weights big style.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:27 AM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

15 stone 5 now, only 4 lb to go for 4 stone.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:44 PM
kitchy
RS2000 4x4

Originally Posted by bigchez
15 stone 5 now, only 4 lb to go for 4 stone.
you are doing really well mate

just need to dye your hair now
Old 06-08-2008, 02:19 PM
_SpeedX_

Originally Posted by jdcrst
Guys my advise is to consult a dietician. Its the best money spent. If you continue with a program without the correct nutition (protein, carbs and yes fat/the correct type) you will damage your body beyond repair. It is not only your muscles which will weaken but your bones liver kidneys cartelidge basically your entire body! your diets sound like they are for people who are less active and do not have such a high impact cv routine and physical job.
Your body will burn of its own muscles if you do not feed it properly.
In short my freinds get professional advice and take it slow your benefits will be better in the long run.
Once you have reached your goal you will have to return to a normal healthy eating plan and if you have crash dieted your body will start to rebuild itself with the vitamins and nutrients it has lacked for so long and you will see yourself gain weight again. you will then diet again and the spiral will continue.
Good luck guys and do it right
JC

agreed, your MAIN thing is to sort a proper diet, if you dont want to spend money seeing a dietician go on www.elitefitness.com on their forums and they will help you ALOT and theres some very interesting reads on there.

But your doing well straight away and over the main hurdle and thats to admit it and seek help!

For that i congratulate you!
Old 06-08-2008, 02:21 PM
_SpeedX_

also forgot to add, you prob dont really want to do weight stuff and go for more cardio

running, punch bag , rowing e.t.c
Old 13-08-2008, 11:58 AM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by kitchy
you are doing really well mate

just need to dye your hair now
I'd missed that you twunt !! You get a car that goes properly, I'll dye my ginger bouffant!!

Another 2 lb this week, 15 3 now.

Quick Reply: Advice needed for massive lifestyle change and weightloss goals.. one for the gurus?