Fiesta RS1800/RS Turbo This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta RS Range of cars.

heater matrix

Search this Thread

Old 15-01-2006 | 11:00 PM
robert 123
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Default heater matrix

how hard is it 2 change doze the dash have 2 come out
Old 16-01-2006 | 08:42 PM
MATT-FRST
PassionFord Regular

yes the dash has to come out - but its not that difficult - the hardest bit is cutting the cables ties to free the dash from the wiring loom
Old 17-01-2006 | 01:27 AM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by MATT-FRST
yes the dash has to come out - but its not that difficult - the hardest bit is cutting the cables ties to free the dash from the wiring loom
I'll second that mate , what a bitch they are and you could also use a second pair of hands which i found out the hard way
Old 17-01-2006 | 09:58 PM
turbodaily
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Default Re: heater matrix

Originally Posted by robert 123
how hard is your willy?

j your ganna be needing my help then son
Old 17-01-2006 | 10:02 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i gota do the same thing for my girlfriends but im not sure where all the screws are. you have 2 either side ofthe dash, few along the top, 1 behind the ash tray any more?
Old 18-01-2006 | 12:09 AM
robert 123

Originally Posted by rst in progress
i gota do the same thing for my girlfriends but im not sure where all the screws are. you have 2 either side ofthe dash, few along the top, 1 behind the ash tray any more?
im not sure ill have ago at the weekend
Old 18-01-2006 | 12:14 AM
robert 123

Default Re: heater matrix

Originally Posted by turbodaily
how hard is your willy?

j your ganna be needing my help then son
we mite aswell put a black dash in at the same time
is ur car fixed now

Trending Topics

Old 18-01-2006 | 11:19 AM
turbodaily
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

all up and running son

gimme a shout and il come give u a hand
Old 18-01-2006 | 05:28 PM
MATT-FRST
PassionFord Regular

the black dash makes a big improvement

fitted a black dash on 2 cars now
Old 18-01-2006 | 05:45 PM
nthorpey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I have a heater matrix from a FRST for sale Ł10 if you need one
Old 20-01-2006 | 10:30 PM
Liams
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Only gota take out the bottom part in the middle,no need for whole dash to come out!! New matrix is Ł50!
Old 21-01-2006 | 10:35 AM
FULLBORE

id be more worried about gettin ur motor up 2 speed than do that anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21-01-2006 | 06:20 PM
robert 123

rightstuff
we will c son did u get it out
Old 21-01-2006 | 07:43 PM
robert 123

all fixed now just flushed the matrix out with the hose pipe loads of orange shit come out nice and hot now
Old 23-01-2006 | 10:18 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

how hard was it? i got my matrix brand new for Ł12 ebay when i picked it up it had Ł48 on it asit was old stock lol
Old 24-01-2006 | 09:47 PM
Liams

how hard was it? i got my matrix brand new for Ł12 ebay when i picked it up it had Ł48 on it asit was old stock lol
To flush the matrix or to fit new one?
Old 25-01-2006 | 06:35 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

fit the new one would like to know where alk the fixings r?
Old 25-01-2006 | 08:05 PM
Sean_RS
Advanced PassionFord User

my heater matrix is fooked aswell

Oh Rick.......
Old 29-01-2006 | 02:21 AM
reisskahn

Originally Posted by Sean_RS
my heater matrix is fooked aswell

Oh Rick.......

i reckon mine is too fooking bastards gives out cold fooking freezing piss taking air

can someone pls explain a bit better and how to exactly flush it??? I wanna try that before i think about replacing it?? Where do u put the hose to it to take the crap out? I seen some pipes going into the bulk head rite behind and underneath the inlet mainfold does that have anything to do with it? If it does then how u supposed to do anything there the space is so tight.

Pls someone help my hands are so cold to carry on tying
Old 29-01-2006 | 07:32 AM
robert 123

reisskahn
right mate disconnect both of the pipes that come out of the bulk head put the hose on 1 of them and turn the water on leave it 4 five mins
Old 29-01-2006 | 07:42 AM
daz1968

I changed mine, just removeed centre console, unclipped base from heater 4 clips I think then under bonnet disconnect pipes then go back inside car and just remove it no problem, hardest bit was fitting the clips back on heater as they are fragile.
Old 29-01-2006 | 10:33 AM
reisskahn

reisskahn
right mate disconnect both of the pipes that come out of the bulk head put the hose on 1 of them and turn the water on leave it 4 five mins
#

hi yeh i know what pipes your on about but how you supposed to take em of there too tight to get to. Did you jack up the car and disconnect them from the bottom or from the top???

Also theres 2 piper there just put a hose in one of them and then where does the water go it wont go inside of the car flood it or soming will it??
Old 29-01-2006 | 10:42 PM
Liams

hi yeh i know what pipes your on about but how you supposed to take em of there too tight to get to. Did you jack up the car and disconnect them from the bottom or from the top???

Also theres 2 piper there just put a hose in one of them and then where does the water go it wont go inside of the car flood it or soming will it??
Getting the pipes off the matrix was the hardest part for me, had to do bit from top but mostly from underneath, once there off its pretty easy from there, and no the water wont go inside the car it will come out the other nossel! But if it is blocked dont put the water pressure on full wack as ive heard you can sourse a leak!
Old 01-02-2006 | 07:12 PM
reisskahn

well ive flushed the whole system put a new thermostat in and still bollocks so last bet is that the matrix is fooked. Trying to get another one then ill take it from there. Ive managed to take out my centre console and the bottom cover and i can see the matrix well its half down but i cant seem to pull it off. Are the pipers at the bulk head connected to it or soming?? If so and if i manage to take them pipes off is that all to get the matrix out of place or do i need to do anything else??????
Old 01-02-2006 | 10:38 PM
Liams

As long as the water hoses are taken off the other side in the engie bay you should be able to pull the two nozels on the matrix back through the bulk head
Old 02-02-2006 | 10:46 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cheers got a clearer pic now so when i can be bothered il gether out the garage and giv it a go, cheers
Old 02-02-2006 | 10:57 PM
reisskahn

Originally Posted by Liams
As long as the water hoses are taken off the other side in the engie bay you should be able to pull the two nozels on the matrix back through the bulk head
Yeh matey know what u mean. Went to Ford today and paid full bastard whack Ł58 for a brand new Heater Matrix. It was a misson getting the top pipe of from the bulk head as it was the original black manufacture and just too stubborn. In the end i endded up chopping it from the end to loosen it prob been stuck on there for the last 16yrs . The bottom i had recently changed with a samco one so that wasnt too much of an hassle. I had to jack the car up to get it off though from the bottom. Look at Haynes and it says take the pipes off and the screws that holding the plate thats it. How the fcuk are you supposed to get your hands in there so damn tight. Sorry about my language am soo pissed because see below....

For all you lot about taking the dash out well its not really nessecary all i did was take out my centre console and the bottom heater box cover ans you can see the heater matrix. As long as you've got the two pipes from the bulkhead (behind the inlet) off the heater matrix should just sling out, you dont even have to mess around with getting the plate off from the bulkhead. Then just slide in your matrix and connect up the pipes.

Ok lads pls pls pls help my heaters werent giving any hot air. I put in a brand spanking new Heater Matrix and Thermostat (strangely enough it never had a thermostat in) and flushed the whole coolent system and filled it back up with water (never had any coolent or anti-freeze will put some in tommorow) and started up the car and let it idle and warm up (my fan is wired to be running constantly done by the previous owner) Anyway i let it warm up and them went up to about 1/4 and i wacked on the heaters and there was still cold air so i swithched off the fan and let the temp just go over half and still no warm air.

Wtf do i need to drive it around for a bit or soming or lt the new matrix wear in or soming why havent i got any warm heater pls help???????????
Old 03-02-2006 | 02:50 PM
Liams

I was told ford didnt make them anymore so i got a pattern part 1 oh well! As for still having no hot air it does help when driving a bit coz ya turbos heating up aswell,warm air only starts coming out of mine from temp gauge almost hitting half way! You sure the flap is opening when you put it on hot?!
Old 04-02-2006 | 07:23 AM
reisskahn

Originally Posted by Liams
I was told ford didnt make them anymore so i got a pattern part 1 oh well! As for still having no hot air it does help when driving a bit coz ya turbos heating up aswell,warm air only starts coming out of mine from temp gauge almost hitting half way! You sure the flap is opening when you put it on hot?!
erm thats strange i rang a few dealers here in Birmingham most of them never had one because they said no on purchases em anymore but they can be orderd will take about 5 days but luckily one dealer had one so grabbed it. Yeh i was figuring maybe i need to drive the car aeound a bit let it wear in or soming (dont know if thats even possible ) so hopefully am gonna see how it goes today ive just been busy sorting out other stuff with the car.

i started it yesterday from cold and put the heaters on about after 5 mins and i start getting mild/luke warm air so i got chuffed and thought yeh when the temp guage rises up it'll be working plus i checked the heater martix hoses at the bulk head and they were pretty warmish, but sadly to my disappointment the temp gauge went up to about half and the air just got cold and those same hoses were cold now .

Like i said ive put in a brand new thermostat and heater matrix in and checked for an airlock all seems ok. Dont know if i mentioned it before but when my old rad (looked mint) was in car with the standard intercooler and no thermostat with the fan on constantly the temo guage never-ever went up and i mean never. Sadly this time the actuator and turbo decided to knock my rad really hard and boof that was the end of that rad. Tried radweld everythingbut no luck.

So i got a 2nd hand rad from someone on the forums and it was a bit rusty and not in the best of conditions and the owner goes it hodl water fine which infact it does. But since ive fitted that rad and the a Pace Intercooler (which sits in front and blocks off about 1/4 of the rad) ive noticed the temp guage starting to go up (few time the car started overheating) and this was before i put the thermostat in. Now ive put the thermostat in but havent really driven the car but am expecting the temp gauge to stay around half so i guess thats normal yeh?

Could there be a chance here that my rad is packed in too and thats effecting the hot heaters?? Like i said the fan is always on and i did place my hand over the rad at the bottom is kind of hot and around the top its pretty cool/cold. Could this mean anything???

Ive been trying to look for a brand spanking new rad but FORD are robbing Ł200 for it plus they have to order it and a lot of motor-factors dont have em though they have the xr2i ones!!!!!!!!

Anyone have a brand new rad pls?????????
Old 04-02-2006 | 01:08 PM
fezzanut

mate i got the same problem with mine and i got the same intercooler and same fan setup.my heaters are just luke warm i flushed the matrix out the other day in place(dont ask me how)and changed thermostat and flushed system for about the fourth time and still no luck.i dont need 2 use my fan unless stuck in traffic for ages do you have this problem?my temp gauge doesnt go above a quarter when driving.cant wait for warmer weather so heaters aint needed
Old 04-02-2006 | 02:06 PM
nthorpey

sounds like you will have to bleed the air out of your system, as this will cause the problems you are talking about
Old 04-02-2006 | 06:52 PM
fezzanut

ok ill try it. i had an air lock when i changed the water pump a year ago and come to think of it the heaters were shit then. i got rid of it by filling the system up through the thermostat housing on the top where the thin pipe goes on it takes a while but filling it up through here pushes the air out through the expansion tank and fills it up when the air is gone.just gotta find time to do it now
Old 05-02-2006 | 01:39 PM
Liams

erm thats strange i rang a few dealers here in Birmingham most of them never had one because they said no on purchases em anymore but they can be orderd will take about 5 days but luckily one dealer had one so grabbed it. Yeh i was figuring maybe i need to drive the car aeound a bit let it wear in or soming (dont know if thats even possible ) so hopefully am gonna see how it goes today ive just been busy sorting out other stuff with the car.

i started it yesterday from cold and put the heaters on about after 5 mins and i start getting mild/luke warm air so i got chuffed and thought yeh when the temp guage rises up it'll be working plus i checked the heater martix hoses at the bulk head and they were pretty warmish, but sadly to my disappointment the temp gauge went up to about half and the air just got cold and those same hoses were cold now .

Like i said ive put in a brand new thermostat and heater matrix in and checked for an airlock all seems ok. Dont know if i mentioned it before but when my old rad (looked mint) was in car with the standard intercooler and no thermostat with the fan on constantly the temo guage never-ever went up and i mean never. Sadly this time the actuator and turbo decided to knock my rad really hard and boof that was the end of that rad. Tried radweld everythingbut no luck.

So i got a 2nd hand rad from someone on the forums and it was a bit rusty and not in the best of conditions and the owner goes it hodl water fine which infact it does. But since ive fitted that rad and the a Pace Intercooler (which sits in front and blocks off about 1/4 of the rad) ive noticed the temp guage starting to go up (few time the car started overheating) and this was before i put the thermostat in. Now ive put the thermostat in but havent really driven the car but am expecting the temp gauge to stay around half so i guess thats normal yeh?

Could there be a chance here that my rad is packed in too and thats effecting the hot heaters?? Like i said the fan is always on and i did place my hand over the rad at the bottom is kind of hot and around the top its pretty cool/cold. Could this mean anything???

Ive been trying to look for a brand spanking new rad but FORD are robbing Ł200 for it plus they have to order it and a lot of motor-factors dont have em though they have the xr2i ones!!!!!!!!

Anyone have a brand new rad pls?????????

Erm spose ya rad could be blocked, ya checked all your water hoses are ok and not blocked aswell? yeah without a thermostat your car would be running cold as its this that controls where ya temp sits really, my car sits at half way all the time never goes below and just goes abit above when in traffic, before I did the matrix I found me car ran hot all the time as I dont think the water was circulating properly! Someone said to me before i did it that my water pump could be getting lazy but then spose it would prob overheat then? Runnin out of ideas to be honest! Its a bastad when ya got no heaters as ya car steams up all the time aswell!
Old 05-02-2006 | 03:19 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

changed my matrix today and dont even know why people even bother taking any or all of the dash out as there is simply no need once i looked at it i jus got to it from underneath
Old 05-02-2006 | 04:02 PM
Liams

Yep thats wot I couldnt understand!
Old 05-02-2006 | 09:33 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i did find it a bit hard to believe ford would make it so hard for such a little job because it woulnt be practicle wen they have to do the same job lol
Old 08-02-2006 | 01:12 AM
reisskahn

hi got some good and bad news. Finally decided to drive the car around and guess what got warm heaters infact boiling so it was worth the hassle. Bad news is that the car would start to overheat over time but taken the rad out and just got it flow-checked and its knackerd so its in the process of getting recored Cant wait to get it back on & drive the car like old times.

Thanks for all the help lads esp Liam big up!!!!!!

fezznut u get your problem sorted? If not how good or condition is the rad and stat in??
Old 08-02-2006 | 01:08 PM
Liams

hi got some good and bad news. Finally decided to drive the car around and guess what got warm heaters infact boiling so it was worth the hassle. Bad news is that the car would start to overheat over time but taken the rad out and just got it flow-checked and its knackerd so its in the process of getting recored Cant wait to get it back on & drive the car like old times.

Thanks for all the help lads esp Liam big up!!!!!!

fezznut u get your problem sorted? If not how good or condition is the rad and stat in??
Cool cool sounds like ya cars on the mend then! Ya car will be to hot now lol That your black festa with escos rims on?
Old 08-02-2006 | 03:02 PM
reisskahn

Cool cool sounds like ya cars on the mend then! Ya car will be to hot now lol That your black festa with escos rims on?

lol yeh well hot now and am pretty chuffed that i fixed it meself because its like the 1st major job ive done by myelf

yeh thats my fezza looking shite in them pics really need to clean and wax it up and get the wheels polished. What u reckon anyway???
Old 08-02-2006 | 05:50 PM
Liams

yeah looks hard as! ya have to do any arch chopping?!

Quick Reply: heater matrix