Fiesta RS1800/RS Turbo This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta RS Range of cars.

please help!

Search this Thread

Old 13-05-2008 | 09:49 PM
davepeach
Virgin

Exclamation please help!

i was wondering if anyone could provide some advice on the cooling of my frst. its been tuned by the previous owner/s a little differently than usual. it has a stage 3 t3 conversion, cossie fuel pump and a mediocre front mount inter cooler. its been roaded at 162 bhp but only runs 7psi boost. the trouble is that when its run hard the turbo gets so hot that it basically cooks the water in the standard radiator. im looking at getting a full width alloy rad and intercooler set up. is there a specific combination that works best? and should the car as a whole have any changes in the set up to get the most out of it?

cheers for any advice. peach.
Old 14-05-2008 | 04:43 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I would do as you say ther largest intercooler with a alloy rad, but also put in a swirl pot, and plumb this to the expansion tank via the TOP smaller pipe to act as a degas, as cooked water forms air.
Look at blockin in the air flow of the radiator, so you get no side spill of air, as air will take the eaisest route, it will go around a object(radiator) if it is easier.
Fit some bonnet vents.
tabetha
Old 14-05-2008 | 09:00 PM
davepeach
Virgin

Default cooling

thanks for the advice had not initially considered the swirlpot route. am going with a full width alloy rad so that i shouldnt have to worry about air running around the side of the rad with a twin fan setup. and bonnet lifters for the hinges to let out more hot air. will get the swirl pot setup sorted and hope fully ill be able to be in traffic for more than 5 minutes again.

cheers again.
Old 15-05-2008 | 05:35 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Hope it all goes ok for you.
tabetha
Old 17-05-2008 | 07:11 PM
PAULDOLMAN
Regular Contributor

sound good, i've got a grs rad(standered size) and grs front mount intercooler with one 10" kenlowe fan with a adjustable thermostat which works very well, temp needle goes up to the N on NORM very pleased with it