Concours d'élégance. The section dedicated to those who like things pristione and shiny. Buftys in other words.

Detailing thread - What I have just used and what I thought....

Search this Thread

Old 15-02-2011, 03:16 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Detailing thread - What I have just used and what I thought....

Firstly ill apologise in advance as I have used these products on my Focus RS, which I know doesnt really apply to this forum, but the products are universal and will apply to all forums this is posted on....

Im no PRO detailer, but I know my way around my car and cleaning products, I dont claim to know everything so if I have said something wrong, incorrect then please just correct me.

The car I am detailing here is my personal Focus RS Mk1. The general condition of the car is excellent and only really contains surface scratches/swirls. There are a few deeper marks in the paint but these are prodominantly on the bonnet and I think 1 on the roof...when I say deep, I may be over exagerrating as the camera doesnt pick them up!

A bit of background about me, I have built 2 cars from rolling shells up to show winning standard. So you can safely say im a bit of a freak when it comes to clean mint looking bodywork! Any of you who know me, past or present, know how mint my cars have to be...or they will simply be stripped down and started again! There is only one car so far that has NOT been resprayed...and thats my Focus RS! Other than that...im sure you know im a speed and audio NUTCASE!!!

The products;

Magifoam Snowfoam
Duragloss 902 shampoo
Megs Claybar
Bilberry Wheel cleaner
Megs APC
Megs Glass cleaner
G-Techniq P1 polish
G-Techniq C1 protection
G-Techniq C5 wheel protectant
Finishkare #425 QD
Autoglym Tyre Shine

LOTS of microfibres
Megs G220 with medium and finish megs pads (yellow and black)

The kit

Snowfoam and lance

Car foamed

After 15-20mins

Thoroughly rinsed with the jet wash

As you can see the results are pretty awesome just with the snowfoam! Even I was amazed! I can easily see why people say they are happy to just foam the car, rinse and then dry!

The wheels came out OK...no where near the level I would be happy with them at though

So applied some Bilberry wheel cleaner

Used a wheel brush to clean the wheels, then clayed them, then used some Megs APC at 10:1 ratio, then bilberry again

G-techniq C5 was then used to seal the wheels...this is a VERY special sealent in terms that it can last for upto 2 years!! Not bad at all for the price! It chemically bonds to the alloys which means its almost like another layer of laquer over the wheels! Looks wise, it offers no difference over the likes of PB Wheelsealant etc...however, its durability is what has made me move over to this product!

You have to apply the smallest amount, and you can do the complete inside and out of all 4 wheels in around 10-20ml in all honesty! A little goes a LONG way!

Wheels done!

Ill be honest at this point and say I put some on my calipers to LOL

Ill be back soon with more once I have been hospital

teamSPB
Old 15-02-2011, 03:25 PM
andy130
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looing good mate, where did you get your stuff from?
Old 15-02-2011, 07:41 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

I will post all the links etc at the end of the thread
Old 16-02-2011, 09:59 AM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Next step was for me to wash the car...for this I used Duragloss 902.

I was recommended this product a good while back by Am, but never got round to buying it...opting instead for Zaino Z7 I think its called...I was very impressed with the Z7, and am equally impressed with Megs NXT wash which I can buy from the local Halfords. I thought it was time to try something different so went and ordered some Duragloss. Im SOO glad I did!! (Ill be reviewing all products later as well as links to each of the products)

Washed

The car was then clayed using Megs clay bar. There was very little in terms of contaminates on the paintwork so I didnt take a photo of the clay bar as it was still practically clean!

Some of you may realise the pictures are in a bit of a weird order...some are outside the garage and some are inside...the order I actually did the work in was washed the car outside, then took the car inside and then done the front and rear brakes...while the wheels were off I did the detailing on them.

Rear Arches

Cleaned using Megs APC

Front arches

Cleaned using Megs APC

Next up was to use the G-techniq P1 polish to get rid of some surface marks and get the paint ready for some G-techniq C1! Before the polish was applied, I wiped the panel down with an IPA and then got to work with my G220 and a polishing pad.

Before

After one pass with the Polishing (yellow) pad and one with a finishing pad (Black)

Also went over the plastic on the lights

Front end done

Sides about to get polished

Polished

Ill add more soon

teamSPB
Old 16-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Why doesnt a focos rs apply to this forum?

surely thats ideal for passionford?
Old 16-02-2011, 10:25 AM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

That was meant for a few other forums I post on
Old 16-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I worked for a small detailing firm for a while.
We had the full Duragloss range and I loved the lot
The shampoo is extreamly good, smells nice, very lubey and very gentle
Duragloss share there products with Zaino (Have a google, many little articles about it although all the Zaino enthusiasts say it's crap and refuse to belive it even though Duragloss is LOADS cheaper!)
Personally I won't foam and then dry, always clean the car! You never know if theres any contaminates left on the paint really.
Been meaning to try the G-Techniq stuff but need to get rid of my current stuff before I buy any more
Old 16-02-2011, 05:36 PM
SWITCHBLADE
Passionate about fords

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good depth and clarity in the paintwork mate after the polishing.

Dave.
Old 16-02-2011, 05:47 PM
scottyrs
DURHAM RSOC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks mint mate
Old 17-02-2011, 10:02 AM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

After the P1 was applied, the car was then wiped down again and ready for the G-techniq C1 to be applied...

This product is only allowed to be bought by detailers or people 'who know what they are doing' as there IS a certain risk of using the product. What the guys from G-techniq told me was if the product dries onto the paintwork, it cannot be wiped off...it has to be machined off! With this, as you can imagine, I was VERY careful...

I bought a 50ml bottle as I want to do a few cars with it, and in total I used around 10-15ml to do the entire Focus!

It was a simple case of wipe on and wipe off after a few moments just like the C5 protectant....you can tell the product is drying while you are wiping away if there is some resistance to it...in which case, get to work very quick!

Some pics of the car complete...

One last wipe down with FinishKare 425

Ill get some photos of it in the rain and keep an eye on how the G-techniq holds up through the next few months

teamSPB
Old 17-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Mids_s2
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Hi mate where could i get hold of this G-techniq C1?

and the focus looks really well.

Cheers Ben
Old 17-02-2011, 06:34 PM
jaiscossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Lovely detail on your frs mate, the ride hight is spot on to , see there wound right down
Old 21-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Wow that looks well mint.Top work mate.
Old 23-02-2011, 09:43 AM
st170dan
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

that looks brilliant!
Old 25-02-2011, 08:49 PM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice car and cracking work, for those who may want to try some of the products used here is a link.

http://gtechniq.com/main-page/
Old 26-02-2011, 06:56 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Hi everyone, sorry for not updating the thread, my Grandmother passed away so not really been online much since its happened...onwards and upwards hey!

The bits I had used was these
Magifoam Snowfoam
Duragloss 902 shampoo
Megs Claybar
Bilberry Wheel cleaner
Megs APC
Megs Glass cleaner
G-Techniq P1 polish
G-Techniq C1 protection
Finishkare #425 QD
Autoglym Tyre Shine

Magifoam Snowfoam
http://shop.autobritedirect.co.uk/ma...ing-2725-p.asp
Ł10.99 + P+P

A VERY simple product to use and defiantely one I would recomend after doing LOTS of research into what people liked using or not...I opened the tap up a little too much on my foam lance hence I didnt get HEAVY foam, but the next time I was the car, I will experiment a little more with the mixtures and the 'tap' so hopefully will get some better pics up soon of the foaming action.

I was actually really taken back by howmuch dirt the foam took off, and hand on heart, I didnt even need to wash the car after! The wheels didnt come out too great, but I kind of expected that regardless.

Definately a 9/10 in my book!

Duragloss 902 shampoo
http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/...oView_779.html
Ł28.95 + P+P

Having firstly been a loyal fan to Turtle Wax....then AutoGlym....then Megs NXT (which I think is SUPERB VFM and availability!)...then Zaino....my arm was twisted to try the Duragloss #902 after hearing raving reviews from Am Singh...I honestly thought it would be VERY hard to beat the Zaino...but man was I mistaken!!!

The feel of the shampoo when its all foamed up is VERY smooth and 'lubed' up lol...it leaves a VERY wet finish on the car which rivals a polished/waxed look! It also left the paintwork feeling silky smooth.

The shampoo foams up very very well and seems to add depth to the paint finish naturally which I was very suprised about!

Smell aint too bad either!

Scores 9/10 in my book...not a 10 as by the time its delivered to your car, it is rather expensive IMO

Megs Claybar
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detail.../prod_615.html
Ł9.99 + P+P

I remember a good few years back, I was VERY skepticle about using a clay bar! I didnt like the idea of something so hard being rubbing against the paintwork lol! One day I took the plunge and used it and was gobsmacked by the results! Truely awesome the amount of 'dirt' that is left behind on the paint even after thorough washing etc!

The Megs bar is good enough for me as the paintwork is always relatively clean so I dont need anything stronger...and IMO, its honestly good enough for 95% of people out there

Scores 10/10 in my book as it works as well as I could hope

Bilberry Wheel cleaner
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index....&productId=504
Ł24.95 + P+P

A GREAT wheel cleaner that gets rid of most dirt from the wheels...its always served me well and would recommend it any place I can.

The ONLY gripe I have with it, is I THINK it strips off my PoorBoys wheel sealent, as if the wheels are sealed, the water beads off them very well...once the Bilberry has gone on...the beading stops!

Still a good product nontheless...I look forward to seeing how the C5 puts up against it

8/10 in my book!

Ill add more shortly

teamSPB
Old 09-03-2011, 01:08 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Megs APC
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine.../prod_321.html
Ł18.95 + P+P

This has been greatly reviewed all over the web so I wont go into too much detail here...

Its a GREAT all round cleaner which gets rid of most dirt and grime on all surfaces...non acidic so safe to use on most surfaces...I have used it on everything from paintwork to engine bay to wheels to interior trim...cleans surfaces up a treat! Also doesnt leave any sort of silicone finish etc on the surfaces which is good for interior panels.

Can leave a stainy, dry water type finish which is the only downside I have found on paintwork (engine bays etc), but nothing a quick wipe doesnt sort out

I know an alternative is an APC from Tesco etc...which apparently works just as well and is miles cheaper...but I havent personally tried that yet...will be doing so soon though!

8/10!

Megs Glass cleaner
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interi.../prod_419.html
Ł8.45 + P+P

A BRILLIANT glass cleaner which I favour over all others I have used...Using this on a regular basis leaves a constant sheen on the windows. Over conventional glass cleaners (general purpose ones), this leaves a form of sheeting on the windows, like a wax/polish im guessing, so the water will nicely bead off the window no problem.

I normally apply the Megs glass cleaner, sometimes followed by AG Glass Polish, then Rain X to top it all off...with all the above constantly being done on the windows...lets just say even stickers have a hard time sticking to the glass LOL!

10/10!!

G-Techniq P1 polish
http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars...posite-polish/
From Ł4.79 + P+P

Having read brilliant reviews online for this G-techniq range, I thought I would bite the bullet and try their ranges out...I have plenty of other polishes on the shelf, and im quite tempted to leave them there now that I have tried this product!!!

It managed to get rid of some pretty deep marks in the paintwork which I just wasnt happy with doing even with some aggressive cutting compounds by Meguires/3m...even with a medium pad, the surface marks were gone in no time! The finish that was left on the paint honestly was VERY VERY flat and reflected perfectly as can be seen from the photos above!

It was very easy to work with and no more difficult to work with compared to Megs/3M etc...The only note I would make is to make sure the product doesnt dry on...although if it does, a little water helps remove it.

I felt the paintwork straight after I P1'd it and it was silky smooth...water beaded straight off and I have no doubt I could have left the paintwork like this!

As I said earlier, on the whole...the P1 is a LOVELY polish to work with and would definately be using it on my Previa to!

10/10

G-Techniq C1 protection
Unavailable to buy
Expensive LOL

The C1 protection is like adding another layer of lacquer onto the paintwork from what I can gather....it bonds to the paintwork on the car to give it another layer of protectant! Looking at the clips on youtube of the product...it looked AMAZING at what it does to repel liquids leaving marks on the paintwork! Water barely stays on the surface!

Its pretty easy to apply, however you MUST NOT let the product dry on...if it does it will crystalise and you will have to machine the product off the vehicle...normal time I left the product on was for between 3-5minutes as it was pretty cold...apparently the product instantly bonds onto the paint so doesnt need to be left for long at all.

It is applied by, believe it or not, make up pads! Perfect for the product as a little goes A LONG way! I'll try getting some pics of howmuch product I used...Im sure you can do 2-3cars from a 50ml bottle! Well...im hoping to do my Previa with the remaining C1 left...and possibly another car after! Depends howmuch I use on the Previa!

G-Techniq claim the product can last for upto 2 years....lets put it to the test!

9/10 - will get a 10/10 if it lasts over a year!

http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars...-wheel-armour/
From Ł27.95 for 15ml

VERY similar product (Im sure its the same), to the C1 protectant...works in EXACTLY the same way...it bonds to the alloys and creates a sealant on the wheels and a protective layer so nothing will 'eat' into the alloy paint/finish...

Very easy to apply...simply wipe on...let it set for 3-4minutes...wipe off!

In terms of finish to the wheels, I didnt notice anything different from when the wheels were clean...there was no extra shine, glare etc etc...just the wheels felt noticably smoother!

I did the inner side and outer on the alloys, and again, following clips on youtube...it will be interesting to see firstly, how long it lasts, and secondly if the wheels are easier to clean! But, and this is a BIG but, I have changed the pads on the Focus for some Performance Direct brakes, which seem to be heavy on the brake dust...so lets see how the C5 puts up against a high performance pad!

9/10 - Again, the durability is the question here...if it works...defo a 10/10!

Finishkare #425 QD
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/valeti.../prod_595.html
Ł27.95 for 1 gallon + P+P

A detailer that I was recommended by Am again...he was full of praises about it so I thought I would give it a shot...

Just by the look and fluidity of the product, I could tell it would add extra slickness to the paint work!

It works as easy as any other QD on the market in the sense you simply spray on and wipe off...but the slickness that is left behind honestly leaves the likes of Megs UD and Zaino Z6 in its dust! Zaino Z8 is in a similar league however, the price of the 425 puts it infront of the Z8 for me!

I used it neat but have heard of a few people diluting it down but im unsure of the ratios...

For the time being, I would not be using another detailer...I might never switch...unless my arm gets twisted again...mind you I have alot of Z6 and Demon Shine on the shelf which I might use before moving onto the 425 perminantly!

10/10!

Autoglym Tyre Shine
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels.../prod_805.html
Ł6.95 + P+P

The best tyre dressing I have used....very durable and the sheen that it leaves on the tyre isnt over the top like I find with ALOT of tyre shines...the Megs one I find constantly looks too 'wet' and artificial....with the AG, I find it looks just right on a gleaming car!

Easy to apply...spray on...let it set into the tyre...job done! Does leave the tyres white for around 5-10mins minutes though

10/10!

Ill be updating again with the second wash the car had after around 500miles of driving and crappy weather

teamSPB
Old 09-03-2011, 01:19 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

is this an official side line to your sound stuff or is it just to see what works best?

i'd love to get some of this stuff but i have no idea what you mean when you say you are "foaming the lance", i'm assuming it's something to do with a jet washer type thing yes?

cracking resluts on the paintwork though

and condolences on your grandmas passing
Old 09-03-2011, 01:39 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Its something that I might at some point look into getting into properly...however, there are LOADS of people out there doing it already...So I guess you can call it a hobby

I have detailed a number of cars now and im constantly learning more about it...its just time and money consuming trying to keep on top of the new products and learning how the products work differently on different types of paints etc

A foam lance is just an addition to the jet wash (an attachment)...fill it was a diluted ratio of snowfoam...and away you go! Ill get some pics when I get round to foaming the Previa

bassboy
Old 09-03-2011, 02:00 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

One of my favourite Focus RS's in the country. If/when this comes up for sale PM me!! Car's a credit to you.
Old 15-03-2011, 01:17 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Hi guys, thought I would update this as these products were now applied over a month ago and car has covered around 500miles in that time in some horrible weather!

I washed it while it was in this state

Once I gave it a quick wash using a jet wash, and duragloss shampoo...these were the results

From reports I have read, the dirt and grime off the road was meant to literally wash straight off once the C1/C5 was protecting the paint and wheels...to be honest...it washed off (with just the pressure washer) pretty well...but still required a good washing...

One thing I did notice however, was while running the sponge over the body and wheels...the sponge was gliding ALOT smoother..the dirt was falling off and didnt require quite as much effort as normal (even though pre C1/C5, much effort still wasnt required)! The water literally just fell off the car. I have some quick video clips that I will post up later today to show how much protection the C1/C5 offer to the paint/wheels.

Overall...still pleased with the product! Lets see how long it lasts!

teamSPB
Old 17-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Paynee
Regular Contributor

lovely results, im sold by the snowfoam, but just too many choices to make with regards to polishes, waxes, applying pads etc. want something that will be quite forgiving as i am a novice at this dont want to have to get my car machined by screwing up using a product or be on for days getting it off! a quick q, when rinsing after washing etc would you recommend using a jet wash or just hosepipe with mains water pressure? am i right in thinking that using jet wash removes some of the protection that is in shampoo's or is it better to use high pressure to help shift the dirt in your opinion?
Old 17-03-2011, 07:13 PM
mk3cosproject
ford crazie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i done this id drive it down the lane and have to turn around to start again i love how clean it is fare play man i cant get over the shine!!!!