Concours d'élégance. The section dedicated to those who like things pristione and shiny. Buftys in other words.

freshly painted car

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 02:43 AM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default freshly painted car

guy whats you opinion on detailing a freshly painted car...

its my 3dr that im having painted at the mo in moonstone....

just wondering what the best products and method to use i hear alot about clay bars ect , and a mate of mine is saying to use a 3 stage kit (3m)products followed by a good polish and wax

thanks
Old 03-02-2011, 07:44 AM
snOOpy86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's just been painted it will not need a load of work, me personally would give it a polish with something like super resin polish and a few layers of decent wax.

A clay bar is only really needed if there is bonded on contaminants on the paint.

Ultimatly tho, it will depened on the condition of the car when returned from bodyshop.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:11 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

if its just painted its gaurenteed to have buffer marks where its been mopped.if youve got a DA just get a finishing polish on a finishing pad and refine the finish,then wax on top.
or if by hand try some dodo juice lime prime followed by decent wax
Old 03-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the above, a car freshly out the paint shop will be covered in Swirls and trails. A body shop may polish a car for an hour with a harsh cutting compound and leave ti unrefined and covered in marks. Joe bloggs would never notice the swirls but to a detailer swirls are a sin lol. You will need to give it a decent polish. Its impossible to say with what as every paint is different and every paint has a different hardness. To buff a car properly should take the best part of a day........or two
I have always been told to leave a car for min 2 weeks after fresh paint before going near it with any polish.
A clay bar is for removing contaminants in the paint, a freshly painted car would have very few, but the clay will remove overspray.

Last edited by Sp3no; 03-02-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Magnum PI
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

After I had a couple of panels on my car resprayed after some toe rag keyed my car, i simply polished the freshly painted panels with turtle wax 'Ice' polish then gave it a top layer of wax with Meguiars Carnuba wax

That was all it needed.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:40 PM
airbrushfx
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sp3no
A body shop may polish a car for an hour with a harsh cutting compound and leave ti unrefined and covered in marks.

I have always been told to leave a car for min 2 weeks after fresh paint before going near it with any polish.
the reason for this, is cause the clear coat doesnt fully harden when baked in the oven, it has to naturally dry hard. 2 weeks is the ballpark figure as it all depends on the lacquer & outside temperture hence why a bodyshop will only do a quick buff as not to damage the paintwork
Old 03-02-2011, 09:30 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks guys for the ideas , my guy has already said same as above to leave outside in the weather for two weeks , then to polish it back and wax it a few times....

what do you guys think its a moonstone car should i paint the comp th2s white??