Concours d'élégance. The section dedicated to those who like things pristione and shiny. Buftys in other words.

poorboys ssr2 help

Search this Thread

Old 26-08-2010, 08:35 PM
fezzaboyy
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poorboys ssr2 help

hi i have just polished the bonnet of my black ford focus with ssr2 and although it has a great shine it doesnt feel like it has been polished now before when i use autoglym it is smooth with ssr2 it doesnt feel smooth wtf
Old 26-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Icurus
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I thought SSR2 is a paint correction polish and hence not a final finish. You need to then treat the paint with a final finish product.

I have used SSR2 in the past and then used EX-P and a final high buff polish to finish.
Old 26-08-2010, 09:58 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

As above....don't think the product you're using is a one use product as it's an abrasive cutting compound and will have taken off all the wax etc! Will need another polish with something less abrasive like super resin, then waxing to seal the paint.....will be nice and smooth then

Last edited by rstdave; 26-08-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 27-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Viper_
Part of the Furniture

SSR2 is a mid level correctional polish and has no protective properties, and is a true 'polish', whereas Autoglym Super Res is also branded as a polish (which it is kinda), but also contains waxes and synth sealant ingrediants to protect the paint and hence why it feels 'slippery' after use.

The SSR2 as said already has stripped the paint of anything that was previously on there (any kind of wax etc.) and it's now sort of 'naked'.

You need to either follow up with a finishing polish if you need further sharpening and clarity of the finish, or if you've worked the SSR2 sufficiently and used the appropriate pad to get a nice defect free paint with crisp reflections, then you can follow up with something to protect it like any wax or sealant.

Whatever you do, don't leave it as it is as the paint's not protected at all by just using SSR2 (or any 'proper' polish as non of them protect, they just correct).

Hope that's helped mate
Old 27-08-2010, 04:06 PM
dalturbo
Virgin

Don't you use ssr1 after this to smoothen the finish further? Ive got 3, 2, just missing the 1. Not sure though ?
Old 27-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Viper_
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by dalturbo
Don't you use ssr1 after this to smoothen the finish further? Ive got 3, 2, just missing the 1. Not sure though ?
You can do yeah, it depends though and I've used 2 plenty of times and worked it sufficiently even by DA machine to a perfect crisp finish and not needed to follow with 1. On some cars the resulting finish from 2 might not have great sharpness and lacking a bit of clarity in which case 1 on a finishing pad will sort it.

For eg. on my Puma with it's Pacific Green metallic I can use 2 on a polishing pad and it will result in a perfectly crisp finish ready for waxing/sealing. Yet on my XR2's single stage black which is quite soft in comparison, SSR2 on the same polishing pad will remove swirls etc. but leave a 'hazy' finish even after thoroughly working the abrasives and would need a pass with a finishing polish on a finishing pad (like SS1).

tbh. I rarely use the SSR range now and tend to stick to Menzerna. The SSRs are a great range though and have all been recently updated to perform better. I just prefer the Menz gear.