Concours d'élégance. The section dedicated to those who like things pristione and shiny. Buftys in other words.

Brake Discs

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:54 AM
cos im worth it
On here to much!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Discs

Hi guys, thought you guys would be the ones to ask, whats the best thing to clean up a set of rear discs that have been standing a bit and have gone slightly rusty on the vented edges and the centres where it bolts on, also they are drilled and groved and look a bit rusty in the wholes and groves, was thinking about skipping the edges and centres over with some 180 discs and painting them up, is it worth cleaning out the groves and drilled wholes and painting them too or would it just be waisting my time once they were fitted and used, any sudgestions welcome, Cheers Mark
Old 11-10-2007, 11:57 AM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

I would take the disks off, clean them up with a wire brush tool in your drill, paint them with some VHT or similar all over, put them back on the car with an old set of pads and take it easy braking untill the surface of the disk has cleared the paint...then swap the pads back to a good set and hey ho you have a painted disk all over excet the braking surface.

Cheers
Dan
Old 11-10-2007, 12:00 PM
cos im worth it
On here to much!!

I like it mate, discs are off anyway and old pads still in.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:36 PM
SillyFezzaMk1
Rubber Rhino Crew

Yeah I've done this a few times now, as I always change disks and pads together I always have an old set of pads handy for such job

Dan
Old 11-10-2007, 06:44 PM
redrsmk5
Advanced PassionFord User

Default Re: Brake Discs

Originally Posted by cos im worth it
Hi guys, thought you guys would be the ones to ask, whats the best thing to clean up a set of rear discs that have been standing a bit and have gone slightly rusty on the vented edges and the centres where it bolts on, also they are drilled and groved and look a bit rusty in the wholes and groves, was thinking about skipping the edges and centres over with some 180 discs and painting them up, is it worth cleaning out the groves and drilled wholes and painting them too or would it just be waisting my time once they were fitted and used, any sudgestions welcome, Cheers Mark
OMG mark you bufty Even i dont clean brake discs
Old 11-10-2007, 10:18 PM
cos im worth it
On here to much!!

Might have known you'd be hanging around in here Bufty Boy! ha ha. i'm going to have to do something drastic so i can contend with the underside painted crew! SillyFezzaMk1 cheers for that mate sounds like a plan, by the way am liking the MK1 mate