Concours d'élégance. The section dedicated to those who like things pristione and shiny. Buftys in other words.

Product to use after Meguiars Quick Clay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Product to use after Meguiars Quick Clay?

Bought some Meguiars Quick Clay today and will get the car done with it sometime this week.

However I don't know what product to use after claying the car? Do you need to polish it with another meguiars product afterwards or can you just leave it with the finish it leaves?

Also what's the best cloth to get the clay/detailer off the car?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2006, 12:17 AM
frayz
Boost Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Dan,

This is your first time with clay i assume.

Well done on your purchase, the megs clay is a good one. You will need to wash the car very very thoroughly beforehand and dry the car as usual.

Then doing a panel at a time wet the panel thoroughly with the quick detailer provided (this acts as a lubricant) and slide the flat clay over the surface back and forth, making sure to keep it well lubricated.

It helps if you have a bowl of warm water to keep puuting the clay in to keep it warm and soft.

During use you will find that the clay turns a rusty brown colour, these are the contaminants you are removing from the paint surface. When this happens re warm the clay and fold it to get a new clean side.
Once your panel is clayed and you are happy the surface is as smooth as glass you should dry the panel with a waffle weave towel and move to the next one.

Remember to use lots of lubricant on the panels as if the panel drys the clay will marr it and these marks will need to be polished out which can be quite difficult if youve done it badly.

Also always remember the GOLDEN claying rule

IF YOU DROP THE CLAY.... BIN IT!!

DO NOT be tempted to use it on your paint, it will have contaminants and WILL score the paint surface.

After claying, i like to rewash the car so its nice a fresh again.

Once clayed you will effectively have left lots of tiny holes in the paint from the contaminants you have removed.. these cannot be left open to the elements and should be sealed.

I would

clay,
polish,
glaze,
seal,
and finally wax.

Hope this helps you out a bit, feel free to contact myself or Gaz7 if you need and further help, advise or products.

Best of luck

Frayz

Old 07-06-2006, 06:24 AM
Moondust_crust
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

frayz
thats how i would do it too, just redone my roof as it was starting to get bad again, i used a polish and then a wax to finish it off, cheers mark.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by frayz
Hi Dan,

I would

clay,
polish,
glaze,
seal,
and finally wax.

Hope this helps you out a bit, feel free to contact myself or Gaz7 if you need and further help, advise or products.

Best of luck

Frayz

Hi mate, thanks for the detailed reply, has cleared a few things up for me already! lol

For the processes you've listed above after using the clay is it best to use all Meguiars products or does it matter if say I use Autoglym polish afterwards?

Also when you say seal and wax etc what are these products as i've only ever used conventional polish?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Gaz7
PassionFord Regular

Further to what Frayz said about the claying:

After you've finished the claying process, polish your car with something like ClearKote Vanilla Moose Glaze - you'll find it'll perform better on white than AG SRP, although SRP is still fine to use if you want to. There's no need to stick to one brand of products (apart from the manufacturers that offer 'system' products that all work together), and you'll get the best performance from mixing and matching products that are best for your paintwork. In your case, that'll mean moving away from Meg's after the clay stage.

As for glaze and sealant, all-in-one products work well on white, such as Klasse All In One - although you could use individual products like ClearKote RMG and Poorboy's EX-P if you wanted.

Finish off with Optimum Car Wax - the best performing finishing wax on white cars

Gareth
Old 07-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Sounds good mate, so where can I buy the:

ClearKote Vanilla Moose Glaze
Klasse All In One
& Optimum Car Wax ??

After finally finding someone that does the Meg Clay yesterday don't know where to go for these as i've not heard of them before?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2006, 12:08 PM
frayz
Boost Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pm sent Dan
Old 07-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Cheers dude, all sorted!

Thanks alot