Concours d'élégance. The section dedicated to those who like things pristione and shiny. Buftys in other words.

What cleaning products for focus RS?

Search this Thread

Old 17-05-2006, 07:33 PM
DannyO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What cleaning products for focus RS?

As I said just wondering how to get my focus RS looking its best-would appreciate your help!I use the car every day so its gone a bit dull especially the bonnet.I used petrol on it before to get the tar off-is that the wrong thing to do?What should I use?
Old 17-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Gaz7
PassionFord Regular

First off - that's enough with the petrol, it'll strip all your protective wax off Use clay, or tar remover if necessary, then re-protect the area.

A Focus RS is an easy car to work on. Ford's Imperial Blue paint is very soft, so it responds well to polishing and waxing. The downside of this is that it marrs easily due to it's soft make up.

Start by washing the car with a lambs wool mitt, and drying with a waffle weave towel - using anything else with definately swirl the paint.

Next, clay the paint with Meg's Quik Clay. You may find you marr some areas, due to the paint's softness, but don't worry, these areas will be easy to correct in the polishing stage.

Then, polish the car. AG SPR, AG UDS, and ClearKote Vanilla Moose Glaze (which is a polish, not a glaze) would all be fine. Of those, VMG has the most cut, therefore the most correction abilities; and UDS contains the most fillers to temporarily mask swirls.

Then glaze the paint - as this gives Imperial Blue it's deep, rich shine. As always, ClearKote Red Moose Machine Glaze is the one to go for IMO; easily the best of what i've tried.

This needs to be sealed in, AG EGP is durable, but harder to work with than Poorboy's EX-P, so i'd be tempted by the EX-P.

Then finish off with two coats of Poorboy's Natty's Blue wax - and the paint will look amazing

Gareth
Old 17-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Gaz7
PassionFord Regular

These were taken after a basic hand detail, of an Imperial Blue ST170:

These are taken of the bonnet, after it was machine corrected, then fully detailed. Unfortunately it wasn't a sunny day, but, you can clearly see the difference. The bonnet has a deeper, bluer shine than the rest of the car, and a more glass like finish when you compare it to the wing. It's a shame the photo's aren't great, but you get the idea. If it was sunny, the difference in the bonnet and the rest of the car would be easier to see.

Gareth
Old 18-05-2006, 11:26 PM
DannyO

Default Thats what I call an answer!!!

Thanks a mill for such a detailed answer mate However I`m a novice at this game so please could you explain to me....
AG I`m thinking is Auto Glym..What do SPR,UDS,EGP mean?
Where can I get the Clearkote products, Nattys blue wax and also the lambs wool mitt and Waffle weave towel? I havent seen them over here in southern Ireland so I may need to get them online.
Thanks again for your help
ps your ST looks class and theres alot of nice looking motors around it!!!!
Old 19-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Gaz7
PassionFord Regular

No probs mate

AG is indeed Auto Glym.
SRP = Super Resin Polish
UDS = Ultra Deep Shine
EGP = Extra Gloss Protection

Clearkote products will be online only, although i may be able to get hold of some for you within the next couple of weeks; the same applies to the Natty's. I'd recommend a Euro w wash mitt, and a Poorboy's towel.

The ST isn't mine i'm afraid, it's one i was doing some detailing work on. The Lotus next to it with the drying towel hanging on the wing mirror is mine lol

Gareth
Old 19-05-2006, 03:57 PM
frayz
Boost Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gaz,

Do you hire this suspicious looking fellow just for photos?

Whats his hourly rate?

Old 19-05-2006, 10:54 PM
DannyO

Default Cheers!!

Thanks again Gaz I think I`ve got everything on line tonight except the megs clay..I couldnt seem to find a site that would post it over here to me, I will try some more shops over here for it. I`ve spent a fortune tonight but I`m sure it will be worth it, will post some pics when I`ve got to use them Cheers!
Old 20-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Gaz7
PassionFord Regular

Frayz - he works merely for the view of all the girls that walk past to go down the alleyway opposite

Danny - glad to be of assistance, hope you get a good result

Gareth
Old 22-05-2006, 04:07 PM
frayz
Boost Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gaz, can i come and oogle the girls too

Looking forward to seeing the RS Dan