Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

Okay! Another BLUETOOTH topic :cry:

Search this Thread

Old 18-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Okay! Another BLUETOOTH topic :cry:

So, two new Bluetooth dongles arrive in the post this morning

Plugged the first one into my downstairs PC that has never had anything bluetooth installed on it - and presto! Instantly detected, and Windows installed all the relevant drivers and made my PC bluetooth enabled! It's currently running the Microsoft BT stack, Version 5.1.2600.2180, if that helps anyone....

So I did the same thing on my upstairs PC. As you may know I had nothing but probs with my previous device as Windows wouldn't recognise it or enable the Microsoft BT stack to work with it. So after a reformat and rinstallation, I come to plug in the second of the new BT dongles, and...................

Same thing as downstairs! Detected, drivers installed, PC now MS BT enabled - same stack version

But! (there's always a but )

This Microsft BT set up is pants

No really! In order to send a file from this PC to the downstairs PC, I have to actually GO downstairs, open the BT quick menu, select RECIEVE A FILE, then come BACK upstairs, and open BT menu, and clicke send a file. Then enter a passkey on the upstairs machine, then go back DOWNSTAIRS and enter the same pass key and then and ONLY then will it send the file

FFS, I could put the fucking file on a flash disc and do it in one trip

So, I have two versions of Widcomm software now - version 1.3.2.7 (oem) and the newer version 1.4.summat that EBR sorted me out with. I like how the Widcomm software operated when I had it running before - but which do I go with? The older version has been tested with my particular dongles and I am assured it all works and is lisenced, or should I use the newer, cracked, version????

If whichever I use, how in the fuck do I turn off, or disable the MS stack?

Old 18-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

OH FFS

So... I decided I didn't like the Microsoft stack as it didn't allow me to keep a constant paired connection (leave it idle, then go to Nokia PC Suite and try and get into the phone and it asks if it wants to connect) and wouldn't let me send files how I wanted it to... So I did a system restore back to earlier today, and installed the Widcomm software (the version I was using before)

Excellent, did the thing the way I did last time, all is fine on the downstairs PC, and it's now running the widcomm stack to full effect.

So I go upstairs to my PC to do the same. Install widcomm, do the crack reboot.

But when I plug in the fucking dongle, it says new hardware found, and installs is automatically to the Microsoft stack! Doens't even open up the new hardware wizard!!! So I can't make it install a driver from the specific location I need to to get it to work with the Widcomm stack!!! It just keeps on activating the MS stack!

So I went to device manager and turned it off (made it set to DISABLE) but while I was getting the new hardware finder thing to search for it, the bastid thing reinstalled itself automatically!!!

For some reason since reinstalling the OS it's not asking me to use the New Hardware Wizard to install hardware, it just does it off it's own back, and it's fucking annoying. I am smarter than the machine dammit I want to be in control
Old 19-01-2006, 08:28 AM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What happens if you update the driver and specify the location ?
Old 19-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

It thinks for a couple of seconds and then says it can't find a better driver than the one it already has. I tried rolling back the driver too, but it says there were no previous ones and all it will do is open the help page

I've managed to get the two machines to connect together and I can send a file from my MS stack pc to the downstairs Widcomm stack PC, but not the other way around. What is annoying also is now mine is on MS Stack it doesn't automatically pair with my phones like it did with the Widcomm stack. When I was running Widcomm before when you turn the PC on it automatically connected to the phones that were set to pair with it. And as such when I went out of range and then came back in, they repaired without asking (set as authorised)

Now with the MS Stack you have to initiate the pairing every time you boot up or go out of range and came back in again
Old 19-01-2006, 10:44 AM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Aren't these machines networked already ??
Old 19-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Not on a common network, no.. Tried before but it didn't work....
Old 25-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I need to know how to let me install the bluetooth device and make it open the New Hardware Wizard, not just auto install it

Trending Topics

Old 25-01-2006, 12:29 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thrush, with Service pack 2 you plug in your dongle then once all drivers installed disable the "Microsoft Bluetooh Enumerator" (do not choose uninstall because this will just reinstall when you plug it back in).

Then remove the dongle, and install the WIDCOMM stack.

When you are asked to plug in your dongle dont, hit cancel. Let the installation complete.

Then plug in your dongle and it should ask you for the driver wizzard, if not update the driver for "Generic Bluetooth Radio" device in device manager.

if you get stuck have a hunt around on the net for installing WIDCOMM on service pack 2. there are loads of articles about it.
Old 25-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Thats pretty much exactly what I did chap But it still auto installed

I'll try it again tho....
Old 25-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Holy shit! That seems to have done it!

I reinstalled the Widcomm stack, booted in safe and copied over the 4 files.

Rebooted to main with the BT device unplugged.

Plugged it in and the new Widcomm BT tray icon went from red to white, right click and selected START USING BLUETOOTH, and went through the set up thingy.

I didn't get the option of NEW HARDWARE WIZARD again tho - so now I have both the Microsoft stack working and the Widcomm stack....

Here's how my Device Manager looks;

I have been able to pair my PC's and my phones to it, and they are pushing files between each other now which is cool, so after I shut this down for a bit and then restart we shall see what happens, whether it keeps the connections alive or if I have to repair all the time.....

How do I disable the MS stack, and do I need to? For Nokia PC Suite I just unticked the Microsoft Bluetooth thing and ticked the Widcomm one, but in my task bar I have both the MS and the Widcomm logo's, and when I right click a picture and go to SEND it lists both bluetooth (MS and widcomm) options...
Old 25-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

A brief shutdown, let it sit for a bit, then start up again and it's still working..... We'll see what happens when it is left overnight and booted up 2morrow morning next....
Old 25-01-2006, 06:01 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

looks like the microsoft device is already disabled now or at least the widcomm stack has taken over the device.

The MS stack normally dissapears after you reboot?
Old 25-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Just reboothed and again, the MS BT icon was in the task bar tray thingy aswell as the Widcomm one... So I just right clicked it and clicked REMOVE ICON.....

If I go into Control Panel tho, there are two Bluetooth icons - 1 is the Widcomm one (Bluetooth Configuration) and the other is the MS one (Bluetooth Devices).....
Old 25-01-2006, 09:07 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thats the same on mine.

My Widcomm stack was part of a logitech installation and I think it did a few extras like hide the MS bluetooth icons for me.

sounds like you got it set up right at last!
Old 26-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Yeah it seems to be working fine. Spent all last night shut down and just booted it up now. Everything seems to work fine, Widcomm stack in effect and auto paired with my phones which is good. Still got the MS stack icon in Control panel, and if I go to ABOUT in Nokia PC Suite it shows both the MS and the Widcomm stack in it, but it all seems to be running on Widcomm
Old 26-01-2006, 11:52 AM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thats exactly how mine is. I dont think you can hide it, without any registry hacks anyway.

glad its all finally working!