Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

Why doesn't my bluetooth work on my PC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Why doesn't my bluetooth work on my PC?

I have a bluetooth USB adapter thingy, and when I got it, it came with it's own software/HID programme, but I couldn't use it as a) it's crap, and b) it kept crashing the PC untill I uninstalled it...

anyway, I tried it again today since I have the Nokia PC Suite that came with my N70...

Plugged the adpater in and it asked to search for a driver, I let it, it found some, I installed em and it said "Your device is installed and ready to use"

But, the Nokia PC Suite won't let me connect to my phone via bluetooth

I tried searching for a device using the phone and it didn't find anything either

After looking about on Google I have seen this thing "My Bluetooth Places" that seems to be a Windows thing, but for the life of me I can't find it on my PC

When I go to the troubleshoot thing in the Device Manager all it says is the device is either incompatible, or Bluetooth wireless technology is disabled on my PC. If it is disabled - how in the fuck do I enable it??!?!?!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:09 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ok first of all, the "My Bluetooth Places" can be found if you click on my computer icon and its under "other", well at least thats how it is on my pc(windows xp home).

As for enabling, havent you got any bluetooth icons in "control panel", ive got 2, "Bluetooth devices" and "Bluetooth configeration", if you click on "Bluetooth devices" then click on options and thats where all the turning on/off is done.

Thats all i know anyway...
Old 11-01-2006, 12:15 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've become a bluetooth expert over the past week or so trying to get a set of bluetooth headphones working on my pc.

the "my bluetooth places" is part of the WIDCOMM bluetooth stack. This is not the default bluetooth stack that comes with windows xp service pack 2.

thrush, if you are using the windows bluetooth stack (which it sounds like you are) you have to assign a com port to your bluetooth adaptor then configure the nokia suite to use this com port via bluetooth.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

EBR - thats great - but where do I find it to assign it a com port

imaloverofcars - I don't have any bluetooth icons in my control panel at all. I am on XP SP2. How do I find this "other" when I right click on MY COMPUTER?
Old 11-01-2006, 03:25 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thrush I cant remember And now Im using the WIDCOMM stack I cant look to tell you either.

Everything imaloverofcars describes is based on the WIDCOMM stack, you wont find it on the windows bluetooth stack.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Okay, how do I get this WIDCOMM stack and install it on my PC and use it instead?

I've run countless searches through windows and it's directory but can't find ANYTHING for bluetooth settings!
Old 11-01-2006, 03:43 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Its a bit of a mission to install on service pack 2!

Its easier to figure out how to get your phone connected over the windows stack - which I did manage to do quite easily before. Just cant remember how I did it.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Old 11-01-2006, 04:20 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thrush, especially for you I have just removed my WIDCOMM stack and gone back to the windows stack to remind my self how to do it.

Add me to MSN and I'll talk you through the steps

essex_boy_racer@hotmail.com
Old 11-01-2006, 04:32 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Too late Im off home now.

Basic of it is to go into control panel open bluetooth devices, click on the "COM PORTS" tab and add an incomming port.

Then using the nokia suite pair your phone over bluetooth and it should work.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Sorry dude, went a bit mad in the last half hour of work and couldn't get back here! Just got in and booted up and it still not workin'

Trouble is, I can't go to control panel > Bluetooth devices as I don't HAVE a Bluetooth Devices in my control panel
Old 11-01-2006, 06:59 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

do you have service pack 2?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Yes - You on MSN? Showing as offline at the mo......
Old 11-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

EBR - Sys Restore done, now maybe it will let us make it work
Old 11-01-2006, 08:23 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ok back now dude. fingers crossed...
Old 11-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Dude, you're a FUCKING legend! All is absolutely FINE now - works a treat - got both phones hooked up to it at the same time now

Thank you so much for your help!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:42 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

no probs dude. Glad it worked - that was my last idea!
Old 11-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Hey got another update for you...

You know you can't delete the MY BLUETOOTH PLACES icon that gets put on the desktop right?

Well you can hide it

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

I downloaded and installed the TWEAK UI programme which lets you manipulate features your not usually allowed to within windows.

You get this;

Click DESKTOP and it shows icons that are fixed on the desktop - untick them and they remain hidden - essentially removed!

So for years I had cluttered desktops, then when I got XP all I had to have on it was a Recycle Bin - now I have nothing!!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 11:25 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

sweet!!! Thats a handy tool! just dont tweak it too much it stops working!
Old 11-01-2006, 11:30 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

It's a good little programme actually - it's worth downloading purely for the tips section thats gives you really handy shortcuts and tips you might not know already!

I just put a shortcut to the recycle bin in the start menu quick pick list, then hid the bin from the desktop. Desktop doesn't have a SINGLE icon on it now
Old 12-01-2006, 07:42 AM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thrush, you don't have to have any icons in the 1st place

I have just the recycle bin on my work computer Not really fussed about using tweak ui to hide it lol.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

No, I know you don't have to have icons - but back on Win 98 and 2k you don't get the option to hide the My Computer, My Docs etc from the desktop and put em in the start menu

So when I got XP it was cool as all I had to have was Recylcle Bin - which now I can hide completely so I got NOTHING on the desktop
Old 12-01-2006, 02:07 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Thrush
No, I know you don't have to have icons - but back on Win 98 and 2k you don't get the option to hide the My Computer, My Docs etc from the desktop and put em in the start menu

So when I got XP it was cool as all I had to have was Recylcle Bin - which now I can hide completely so I got NOTHING on the desktop
But whats the idea of having a completly empty desktop? i mean its easier just to click on the icon you want rather than click start bar and find what you need? well it is for me anyway.

But think ill download the tweak thing because it seems cool
Old 12-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Basically, cos I'm lazy! To get to the desktop shortcuts I have to minimize all windows to see the desktop - so might aswell just hit the START button on the keyboard, in which all my most used programmes are stored as quick pick shortcuts. The three programmes most used are in the grouping on the task bar, and there's a pop up extension for another bunch of programmes off that aswell. So I don't have any need for desktop items/shortcuts/files

Plus it all looks a lot cleaner
Old 12-01-2006, 02:40 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Fair enough

Just had a play with that tweak thing, removed some icons that were pointless being on my desktop etc but some of the other things i dont understand what they do so havent done much with it apart from that
Old 12-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

No, I haven't anything else done much either But read the tips section (under the ABOUT bit at the top left of the tree) as they can be really helpfull for little shortcuts and keystrokes etc....

Right, do have a little problem. PC has been off alday, just got in from work and switched it on. It doesn't automatically boot up my bluetooth dongle! The icon in the task bar stays red and says no device connected. So I have to physically unplug and re-plug in the dongle which then lights up. Then the PC beeps and a balloon pops up and says NEW HARDWARE FOUND : USB DEVICE. It thinks for a mo and a new balloon pops up SAYING NEW HARDWARE FOUND : UNKNOWN DEVICE.

Then the bluetooth icon in the task bar goes white and it all works fine. GOnna be a bitch tho if I have to unplug and replug all the time tho Cos it's a bright fucker I have it plugged into the rear USB port on the back of the PC and it's tricky to reach
Old 12-01-2006, 06:36 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

your drivers are soooo fucked up m8y! Your poor pc doesnt know if its a bluetooth dongle or a lollypop you've got plugged in!
Old 12-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Old 13-01-2006, 12:39 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

This is beginning to piss me off now

This eve the PC has been nothing but trouble! It's frozen 3 times (for no alleged reason - one time it hung while trying to send a file to my phone, 1 time it hung while I was trying to open a picture from my documents, and the third time it hung while I was was checking the net connection properties ) and crashed twice - with that no warning crash where suddenly the screen goes blank and it goes to the blue DOS screen with white words that say Windows has encountered a problem and has shut down to avoid damage etc.... where you can't do anything except turn it off at the power button

Thing is, it HAS to be a problem with the bluetooth device as I had this same prob before when I installed the bt dongle and the BLuesoleil software originally, and had to System Restore back to before I installed it to cure the problem. And it wasn't doing this a couple of days ago - has only done it today which is the day after I installed the Widcomm software and bt dongle....

I don't really want to have to reformat the entire drive
Old 13-01-2006, 08:10 AM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tweak UI exists for Windows 98 m8, and I think it also has the same hide features

BSOD's as in blue screen's of death should be a rareity in windows xp (cough cough, yeah right gatesy), seem's that the bluetooth dongle is conflicting with something ? Uninstall it, and then install it on another USB port if you have one ?
Old 13-01-2006, 08:24 AM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I really think its rebuild time for you thrush. It had too many installations of bluetooth stacks and drivers and the whole thing is confused!
Old 13-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Dan - but when I had 98 I didn't know about TweakUI

Anyway, back to BT. The BSOD has only ever happened when I have had the BT enabled on my PC - both last time when I installed it with the supplied software, and this time when used with the proper Widcomm software. So my thinking is that it is not so much the software, as maybe the Windows stack conflicting with either of the other two types of stacks used.

Or it could simply be a conflict between the particular BT dongle I have...?
Old 13-01-2006, 09:09 AM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thrush, normally you have to disable the windows bluetooth device in device manager to allow the WIDCOMM stack to see the dongle. However for some reason your pc doesnt even reckognise there is a bluetooth device there when you dont have any software installed.

Its truely screwed m8
Old 13-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I think it's probably to do with the actual dongle then.... Maybe it's just not compaticble with Windows OS or my PC or something.....

I'm gonna get another dongle, see if that makes a difference...

The BSOD alsways seems to be about a hardware conflict rather than a software/OS problem (as it always says hardware specifically) so I guess it has to do with the actual dongle itself...

time for a new one before I do anything rash like reformat