Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

Printer Trouble - HP Color Laserjet 1500L

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 02:46 PM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Printer Trouble - HP Color Laserjet 1500L

Hi,

I've one of these printers and it's started to play up. It's strange but sometimes it'll behave normally other times not.

Firstly let me explain the setup:

The printer is connected via USB to a small network hub which is shared on a small workgroup by three machines which are all connected, one XP Box, and two 2K Box's.

The problems that seem to happen are that if printing a multiple page document it'll print once then if something else is sent to the printer it wont print the next document, it'll print one page of the previous document again! (No matter which machine you send a print job from)

Other problems I've noticed are sometimes nothing will print at all until the paper is removed from the tray and then put back again (causing the little switch on the printer tray to think it's run out of paper) and then when putting the paper back the job will continue...very annoying!

It seem's if the printer is turned off and back on after each print it'll solve the problem and you can print the next document fine, but this is a last resort and not exactly a great solution!

I've tried to look for any information on the HP site but with no luck at the moment. I've not really tried to re-install the printer yet, just try and work out what is causing this to happen. It's not been a problem in the past and can't see why this has just started happening.

I've downloaded and updated the drivers to the latest versions according to the HP website, it didn't make a difference however.

I've spent some more time working on this problem, once the printer was turned off and back on normal printing is resumed, multiple page documents print fine, random selected pages are fine and individual pages (I tested about 40 print out's randomly from each of the machines and couldn't get the blasted thing to "go wrong") it's working fine again now it's been switched off but I still have not seen at what point it goes wrong....

It seems when it does misbehave it'll just keep printing the last document before it went wrong no matter what / how many pages you print to it, until it's switched off.

Could it be a memory problem? Perhaps it's not clearing the last print job and obviously the switch off cures that. Although, the last 40 or so print out's have not been affected yet so it'd suggest that's not the problem?

Any thoughts or comments would be appriciated.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:19 AM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Install it directly on the Xp machine and see if it does the same
Old 09-11-2005, 09:39 AM
adamS2RST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanRSturbo
Install it directly on the Xp machine and see if it does the same
Cheers Dan, that's going to be the next thing to try I guess as I have some doubts about the mini linksys hub.... Although, the thing has been working fine again since yesterday morning